Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Good for you
Ummm. I only mentioned it because it isn't a tremendous cost savings for me to get takeout. Most places still enlist bartenders and hostesses to fill orders and I don't feel right not tipping them for their time.

More so with the drive up takeout that some restaurants have. Those servers are paid partly in tips.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
The biggest problem with the setup that I see is the trend of restaurants exploiting the 2.13 hourly rate they pay employees by having them doing increasing amounts of work not related to serving tables. The last job I had before I got out of the service industry I'd have an hour to an hour and a half of "side work" a night when I was done waiting tables. It may range from rolling silverware to filling up butter dishes to filling ketchup bottles etc. Basically its something the establishment should be paying someone minimum wage to do but they slap it on waiters because they know they can get away with it.

I hated waiting tables and LOVED bartending. Like most have said on here- if you get yourself in a good spot and provide adequate service then you'll do alright. You'll still have that table that you provide excellent service to tip you 2 dollars on a 100 dollar tab...but you can't teach people class. Just part of the job.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Ummm. I only mentioned it because it isn't a tremendous cost savings for me to get takeout. Most places still enlist bartenders and hostesses to fill orders and I don't feel right not tipping them for their time.

More so with the drive up takeout that some restaurants have. Those servers are paid partly in tips.
I know why you mentioned it.

I look at it as bringing common sense back to the world one less tip at a time.

On a two hour flight I'll make less than a server does per person per hour yet people don't tip me...I wonder why that is...oh that is right because it's my job.

Want to make tips? Work as a server .

Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
The biggest problem with the setup that I see is the trend of restaurants exploiting the 2.13 hourly rate they pay employees by having them doing increasing amounts of work not related to serving tables. The last job I had before I got out of the service industry I'd have an hour to an hour and a half of "side work" a night when I was done waiting tables. It may range from rolling silverware to filling up butter dishes to filling ketchup bottles etc. Basically its something the establishment should be paying someone minimum wage to do but they slap it on waiters because they know they can get away with it.

I hated waiting tables and LOVED bartending. Like most have said on here- if you get yourself in a good spot and provide adequate service then you'll do alright. You'll still have that table that you provide excellent service to tip you 2 dollars on a 100 dollar tab...but you can't teach people class. Just part of the job.
That is BS. I worked at a chain in high school, we would clock out and then clock in under a different (higher) rate to do the BS work like you are describing. Yes I agree companies that don't do that do take advantage of people.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I know why you mentioned it.

I look at it as bringing common sense back to the world one less tip at a time.

On a two hour flight I'll make less than a server does per person per hour yet people don't tip me...I wonder why that is...oh that is right because it's my job.

Want to make tips? Work as a server .
You don't work in an industry where tipping is commonplace. If you did, you'd probably expect a tip for good service, yes?

I don't get tipped, either. I'm salaried.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:

yea that was what i hated most about working as a server. not only that, but they'd make us clock out before doing closing work so we wouldn't even get our 2.13 an hour. sometimes it'd be up to 2 hours of closing work. and of course you don't clock in until you get your first table, even though you do at least 30 mins to an hour of set up. it gets really frustrating when you've had a bad night and still have to clean for 2 hours

Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
That is BS. I worked at a chain in high school, we would clock out and then clock in under a different (higher) rate to do the BS work like you are describing. Yes I agree companies that don't do that do take advantage of people.
We didn't clock in under a better rate that summer at Applebee's. It sucked.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica208 View Post
We are moving to the Raleigh area and I currently work at a chain restaurant. I will be transferring to one in either Cary or Raleigh for the time being. I keep hearing from people who have lived down south that the tips are pretty bad outside the (NJ) area in regards to the southern states. I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on this. I keep hearing a 10% tip is good in the south and I'm used to averaging anywhere from 18-20% (although I do get some bad ones but typically they are 18-20%). This is making me very nervous. I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Just thought I'd remind everyone of what the thread topic actually is.

Any chance we could get back TO that, please? Thanks!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times
I pretty much always tip 20%. If service is outstanding I've gone above that but only a few times. I think there's a skill with servers where they aren't pouring on the cheesiness to get a better tip but are providing great service. I also think it's interesting that what I may view as great service, someone else may not. To me, don't be in my face every 30 seconds. A great server can pick up on the cues at the table and will be there when they need to be, but it's also a skill to understand when it's not great timing to ask how our meal is.

This is just an opinion but I view how people tip as an overall reflection on their generosity. I understand that in this economy every dollar matters. But the way I see it, unless you are going out to eat many times per month, an extra 3 dollars may not make that much of a difference to you but it makes a huge difference to the person serving you. If the 3$ does make a huge difference then it's probably not the best idea to be eating out in the first place. But from my own personal experience, stingy tippers are stingy in most other areas in their life.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,447 times
Quote:

It's not a trend. It's been going on a long time. I worked as a bus person/waitress back in the 80's at a nice white tablecloth restaurant inside of a fancy hotel. I think they were paying that $2.13 an hour back then too, which means server's base wages haven't increased in over 25 years! And that was back when minimum wage was $3.35. So it is really hard for me to understand why server's base wages haven't increased with minimum wage. The tips were supposed to make up for the difference. But we had to roll silverware and do setups (setting the tables with plates, glasses, silverware) for at least an hour before and after our shift.

The only saving grace for that job was when we did catered events. I remember working just a few hours one night and coming home with $50, just as a bus person, and that was a lot of money for me at 17. The waiters probably made a lot more. Since the menu was pre-planned, you didn't even have to interact with the customers that much. It was the ideal gig.

We are generous tippers for the most part, but since it is so expensive to eat out at a restaurant with table service, most of the time we will go to Panera or Moe's or Jason's Deli, where we're not expected to tip. Once in a while we'll eat at Waffle House and I always tip a lot there because I feel like the servers are really struggling.

Speaking of Applebee's, we hadn't eaten there in about 10 years and recently decided to give it another try. Blech! My meal was so salty it was almost ruined, and my husband was just underwhelmed by his food as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary