Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM

101 posts, read 246,737 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain this to me. Unless you're a member at Preston, your options are that terrible facility at Lake Shore, a very meh Tee-to-Green, or the far too out of the way, but nice, Knight's Play. Admittedly, I am new to the area, but I find it shocking that no one has built a modern facility in W. Cary or Morrisville (perhaps off 55). It would corner the market, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
There's this place on Leesville: Triangle Golf Complex - Home

Just a few minutes down the road from Brier Creek. Which isn't Cary or Morrisville I know, but close. No idea of the quality since I don't play golf, just drive past the place often!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Driving ranges may simply be becoming obsolete? Witness the thread posted last week about a long-time North Raleigh driving range about to be plowed down to build a gym.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqyankee View Post
Can anyone explain this to me. Unless you're a member at Preston, your options are that terrible facility at Lake Shore, a very meh Tee-to-Green, or the far too out of the way, but nice, Knight's Play. Admittedly, I am new to the area, but I find it shocking that no one has built a modern facility in W. Cary or Morrisville (perhaps off 55). It would corner the market, no?
I feel your pain. I too was dismayed by the lack of adequate practice facilities. Triangle Golf Complex is tolerable at best (and for sale). There's a range at Wildwood Green but its small. Next closest might be UNC Finley. You could always join Brier Creek??

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,248 times
Agreed! I caught the bug two years ago and work in the triangle...only close option is Lakeshore and they are simply horrible- the range is almost as bad as the course. Plastic mats, bad balls etc. Only really good practice facilities in the area are the university courses.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
I agree. My DH would like to take the kids more often but it's just not convenient.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 AM

173 posts, read 313,100 times
Quote:
I agree. I was pretty surprised actually when I first came down here that there wasn't any driving ranges nearby. But, if you think about it, there's really not much suitable land for one in the area, especially off 55. There's quite a few shopping centers or housing developments that don't leave the room that would be required for a driving range.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
I'm not surprised. Think of the amount of land needed for your typical driving range and then consider the cost of real estate in Western Wake County. Somebody with the coin to buy that much land can probably think of better things to do with that much real estate that would be much more profitable.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM

7 posts, read 10,202 times
Knightsplay is in Apex, really not that bad of a run. It can get pretty busy during certain seasons. Wish I could sneak onto Prestonwood, great facilities.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM

294 posts, read 829,582 times
Quote:
Ten years ago there was nothing out that way - it was really just a way to get to RTP then rapid development came.

I'm thinking the rapid growth put a premium on the land and no one could make a golf center work financially -or- Preston may have set-up zoning rules about golf centers in the area (I'm guessing on this one)....

good luck.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary