Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's just sad
Yes, yes it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 AM

45 posts, read 93,465 times
I'm really tired of school closings based on "chance of.." 12+hr prior.
I grew up in the Ohio snow belt and closing announcements started at 5AM, the morning of. The old days of tuning in the old stereo console and closely listening.
With today's resources like the internet, automated phone systems, texting, facebook, etc. they could easily keep parents advised in an efficient manner when things actually do start looking like dangerous conditions.
I'm all for the safety of the children, but this is ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampCollins View Post
I grew up in the Ohio snow belt and closing announcements started at 5AM, the morning of. The old days of tuning in the old stereo console and closely listening.
Ditto. I grew up in Pittsburgh, with lots of snow and steep hills. I remember sitting at the kitchen table in the morning listening to KDKA on the AM radio that we had sitting on top of the fridge. . . . . just waiting for the school cancellation notices. There wasn't even any hope of a closing or delay unless a fresh 6" of snow fell overnight. Even that wasn't a guarantee. There could be a foot of fresh snow on the ground. . . the snow-plows hadn't even been around the neighborhood yet. . . . and old "Bulldog" would come chugging down the hill with her bus's tire chains jingling away and a big sneer on her face. . . . AAARGH!

I guess nowadays they feel the need to give parents plenty of advance notice so that they can make arrangements for childcare.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM

606 posts, read 903,950 times
This isn't Ohio or PA. I grew up in Western, NY. Home of the lake effect snow. Very different beast and very different capabilities for handling the weather. NC isn't set up the same way. Better safe than sorry. Get used to it, it's just the way that it is down here.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 AM

45 posts, read 93,465 times
I'm well aware that up north is a different beast with different available resources. My point was that they waited to determine delays/closings based on actual precipitation and made announcements via limited communication. Announcing a 3 hour delay last night at 8:00 when nothing had even happened yet just seems a little excessive to me.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampCollins View Post
I'm well aware that up north is a different beast with different available resources. My point was that they waited to determine delays/closings based on actual precipitation and made announcements via limited communication. Announcing a 3 hour delay last night at 8:00 when nothing had even happened yet just seems a little excessive to me.
I agree. They should've waited until the 11pm news.

That said, they pretty much have to announce something before midnight or nobody knows what to expect the next morning. Many buses start out very early.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM

554 posts, read 1,155,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Ditto. I grew up in Pittsburgh, with lots of snow and steep hills. I remember sitting at the kitchen table in the morning listening to KDKA on the AM radio that we had sitting on top of the fridge. . . . . just waiting for the school cancellation notices.
Me too!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,057 times
I'm no meteorologist, but I knew last night this was a lot of hype about nothing. The forecast just wasn't showing me anything that made me think there would be any rain, and it didn't even dip below freezing here at my house.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I'm no meteorologist, but I knew last night this was a lot of hype about nothing. The forecast just wasn't showing me anything that made me think there would be any rain, and it didn't even dip below freezing here at my house.
I swear it's like the counties around here are subject to peer pressure. At 6 p.m. they were saying slim to no chance the triangle would get anything. And then they started to fall like dominoes. It's just ridiculous.

The idea that there calls can't be made over night and people check first thing in the a.m. is just ridiculous. Yes, that would mean a night of interrupted sleep for the superintendent. They make good money - deal with it. In NY they stay up all night on forecasts like this and start posting the info at 4:30 - 5 a.m. That is plenty early enough even around here. This is about north v. south - it's about common sense. It's time to get people used to checking in, in the morning.

A 2 hour delay would have been bad enough but 3 hours?! Plenty of elementary schools won't be starting till 12:15 - ridiculous!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I agree. They should've waited until the 11pm news.

That said, they pretty much have to announce something before midnight or nobody knows what to expect the next morning. Many buses start out very early.
My youngest graduated from WCPSS 2 years ago. In years past, WCPSS never announced school delays/closings until the morning of the delay or closing!

Yes, it was annoying but it made sense. It was my understanding that the bus guy went out at 4 AM to check the roads and then it was determined IF school needed to be delayed or closed.

I think parents complained since those that worked needed to make other arrangements and therefore, WCPSS started making these announcements earlier. And...weather doesn't always do what the weathemen say it will so...

Again, you can't make everyone happy all the time!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary