Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,151 times

Advertisements

You might want to look at Kestrel Heights Charter school in Durham. You could easily get elementary seats there and it would be worth sticking with through to graduation. Then you could live right near RTP and not worry about the public schools. Lots of nice houses around there...near Southpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM

9,780 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu2 View Post
Im pretty amazed by the terror on this board about avoiding those terrible Wake county schools. I mean, Wake county was rated as the #1 school district in the country just a couple of years ago. I agree that the school board has made every effort to make a mess of assignemtns and bussing the last couple of years, but the fact is that school performance has not suffered and very few students have actually been forcefully reassigned. If you live in the West Cary or Morrisville area any school your kids will go to will be excellent. And unless you move into a neighborhood where the base school is capped or a new school is built in your area, the chance of your kids being reassigned against your will is extremely small.

Yes, Chapel Hill schools are very good too, and living here, I would say that on average they probably are better than Wake county schools. However, people are comparing a 3 high school district in CH to a 27 high school system in Wake county. A better comparison for the OP is to compare the individual schools they could potentially send their children to in Chapel Hill or West Cary/Morrisville/NW Raleigh. For example, if you look at state end of course test scores for Chapel Hill and East Chapel Hill high schools versus the West Cary/Morrisville high schools of Green Hope and Panther Creek, you will find that these Wake schools have significantly higher test scores than the Chapel Hill schools in every subject area.
I don't see where anyone mentioned "terrible Wake county schools." Most people were suggesting that she also consider Chapel Hill schools since she said she wanted her kids to go to good schools and to go to schools with children in her neighborhood. No one said Wake County schools aren't good, and no one suggested that she drop those schools from contention. I think most of us would agree that the three best Wake County high schools are similar to the three best Chapel Hill high schools. The advantage that Chapel Hill has is that her child cannot get districted out of any of the top three high schools in Chapel Hill no matter what. On the other hand, the chances of her not getting into Panther Creek, Green Hope or the third best high school in Wake seem a lot greater, as well as the likelihood of her kids not going to school with others in the the neighborhood.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,741 times

2013-14 Student Assignment Plan - YouTube

http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/addressLookup/index.php

Last edited by klmquiroz; 02-15-2013 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,981 times
Currently, I am also looking to buy a house either in CH or Cary soon. It is a tough decision as we don't know if Wake County will cap out the school (Davis Drive Middle/Green Hope) we like.

What do you think of this rating from Newsweek: America’s Best High Schools 2012
America
ECCH is ranked at No. 88.

Thanks
-ma2013

Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
I think East is a great school. The main complaint that I have most often heard about the Chapel Hill/Carrboro high schools is that they can be overly competitive academically and sometimes kids get too stressed out. There are a lot of super bright kids in these schools and apparently sometimes some of the super bright kids are very concerned with class rank, so much so that they will take extra summer school classes just so that they will move up higher from their already high class rank. Kids who are too prone to anxiety/stress could find it a difficult environment.

I have heard the complaint occasionally that kids who are "just average" can fall through the cracks because there are so many kids who are really clamoring for more academic challenges and are really motivated. However the district has a 90% graduation rate, one of the highest in the state, so I think that they do reach out to the kids who are not motivated and usually successfully.

I think for most kids East is a great school as are Chapel Hill High and Carrboro High. They do some amazing stuff in the high schools here and really put my poor high school education back in the dark ages to shame. The kids have some wonderful opportunities.

I think you should buy in the community that fits your family style best, though. Chapel Hill and Carrboro aren't for everyone. If Cary is more to your liking I think the schools there will work out just fine.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 5,845 times
you may want to consider Chapel Hill. Wake County is going through redistricting and though the schools are good, I have heard that it is not uncommon to have kids from the same neighborhood going to different schools. We moved from NJ and looked everywhere... but ultimately chose Chapel Hill. We wanted a small and high quality school district and this is Chapel Hill. We wanted to be close to Durham and other parts of RTP. Commute to RTP is about 20 minutes.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,837 times
We just moved to the area. We have four sons with us. I have looked for three weeks for a house to rent. We though we found one, moved in, before our belongings came, and found out the hard way it was bed bug infested!!! It was a beautiful home too. We went back to the hotel immediately and are back looking again. We can't buy until our house sells back in Iowa. We can't afford anything over $1,100 a month. What are some good areas in the Raleigh area? I'm looking at apartments right now, since we couldn't find a house. Chapel Hill is too expensive for our budget. If any of you could help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
why not just have the bed bugs eradicated?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:56 AM

9,780 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
why not just have the bed bugs eradicated?
Easier said than done. It could take weeks before you know if they are gone. Plus it's expensive and the landlord may not be willing to do it the right way. All it takes is one little bug left to start the invasion again.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:22 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Did the landlord let you out of your lease? Do you have that in writing? Did you get your security deposit back?

If the answers to any of those questions is NO, then I'm with Bo. Let the landlord fix the problem, which he should be willing to do quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary