Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM

206 posts, read 746,777 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for family neighborhoods around this price or where this is the lower end home price in the neighborhood? We would like at least .3 and 4BR-newer construction. We don't want to be at the higher end in a neighborhood because we would like to try and maintain our property values over time. Not sure which area of the triangle yet-but commute will be to Duke Medical(Wake Forest probably ruled out b/c of commute). Looked at Treyburn but from what I read the public schools for that neighborhood are questionable. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
Any suggestions for family neighborhoods around this price or where this is the lower end home price in the neighborhood? We would like at least .3 and 4BR-newer construction. We don't want to be at the higher end in a neighborhood because we would like to try and maintain our property values over time. Not sure which area of the triangle yet-but commute will be to Duke Medical(Wake Forest probably ruled out b/c of commute). Looked at Treyburn but from what I read the public schools for that neighborhood are questionable. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer input. Thanks!
Well, I was going to suggest Treyburn (which does indeed have good schools), Black Horse Run, Hardscrabble, Churton Grove (in Hillsborough), and there are numerous other neighborhoods in Northern Durham closer to town I am sure others can list for you (near the Eno). These are the ones I am personally familiar with, including schools, since I grew up in the area and still have family and friends there.

A couple neighborhoods in that price range won't be the lowest, but a nice median price range. If you are doing a search on Realtor these zip codes would be 27712, 27705, 27503 (Bahama), 27278 (Hillsborough). Good schools, prices, and commute.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
look in Mebane. there are a few very nice neighborhoods. check out Mill Creek---they are around your price range. Ashbury has nice ---not very "higher end" , like mill creek, but closer to your commute destination, you can find homes with your criteria and for less money.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
look in Mebane. there are a few very nice neighborhoods. check out Mill Creek---they are around your price range. Ashbury has nice ---not very "higher end" , like mill creek, but closer to your commute destination, you can find homes with your criteria and for less money.
Mebane is also a great alternative. Just keep in mind places like Ashbury have very small lots with little privacy and can feel like living in a fish bowl. You would also be at the higher end of the neighborhood, as there are many homes for under $200,000. Mill Creek is pretty nice though.

The neighborhoods I've listed above in Durham and Hillsborough have 1/2 acre lots and larger, and lots of trees. Except in Treyburn where in that price range you are likely to find 1/3 of an acre.

I just wanted to add, that usually I would mention Mebane as an alternative b/c of prices. But since you CAN afford Durham and Hillsborough I would personally choose it over Mebane. I am probably bias though since I grew up there (I would LOVE to buy some land around the St.Mary's road area between Hardscrabble and Churton Grove and build my dream house). Don't get me wrong, Mebane is nice, I just miss being closer to things (I'm in Efland right between Hillsborough and Mebane) like nicer grocery stores (Whole Foods and Harris Teeter). But I also grew up with the great entertainment and restaurants of Durham so I miss being close for those reasons. So for a newbie who doesn't mind being further from things you may find Mebane is right for you. They do have a cute downtown and overall the town is nice. I hope the downtown will eventually attract nice restuarants, shops, and grocery stores. There will be a couple nice shopping centers built in the area too. I also don't know anything about the schools.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check everything out when you visit and take what you read on message boards with a grain of salt. Some people on here will bash areas they know nothing about.

Last edited by DanielleNC; 08-14-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 PM

54 posts, read 160,893 times
Ashbury in Mebane - Cimmaron, Old South and Stonewall - With Cimmaron being at the lower end with smaller lots, and increasing from there. Cimmaron makes a good home and also does some larger homes, but Old South and Stonewall also make great homes. Stonewall has several 'custom' homes in inventory, one I walked by today @2400 Sq/ft listed for 237,000. I am Biased because I live in Mebane, and for a town that didn't have anything 10 years ago it has really grown a lot.

I disagree that Ashbury is like living in a fish bowl. Lots of trees around, you can walk to the lake right next to the development, and you can spend a lazy Saturday morning with very nice neighbors by the pool. Like I said before I am biased

Worth a drive by if you want to save 1/2 your money and still be in a great commuting distance to Durham/CH/Burlington and an OK distance to Raliegh or Greensboro.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
Ashbury in Mebane - Cimmaron, Old South and Stonewall - With Cimmaron being at the lower end with smaller lots, and increasing from there. Cimmaron makes a good home and also does some larger homes, but Old South and Stonewall also make great homes. Stonewall has several 'custom' homes in inventory, one I walked by today @2400 Sq/ft listed for 237,000. I am Biased because I live in Mebane, and for a town that didn't have anything 10 years ago it has really grown a lot.

I disagree that Ashbury is like living in a fish bowl. Lots of trees around, you can walk to the lake right next to the development, and you can spend a lazy Saturday morning with very nice neighbors by the pool. Like I said before I am biased

Worth a drive by if you want to save 1/2 your money and still be in a great commuting distance to Durham/CH/Burlington and an OK distance to Raliegh or Greensboro.
Agree to disagree

I grew up surrounded by trees and that's just the feeling I got from Ashbury when driving through it (so did my boyfriend who grew up in Cary with lots of trees, that's why he didn't buy in Ashbury). Some people don't even like to be surrounded by trees or come from an area that was comepletely treeless. I think it's worth checking out b/c again Mebane is a great town and I can see why some would like Ashbury. Afterall, it seems most neighborhoods built these days they just plow down the trees and there are far worse out there than Ashbury. Depending where the OP is coming from they may find it to be full of trees!

Mebane has grown a lot since my best friend moved there in 2003 and is only growing more and more each day. I think anyone moving to the Triangle area and will be commuting as far as RTP, Durham, Chapel Hill, Burlington, and Greensboro should definitely check it out.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
River's Edge off Rose of Sharon Rd. in northern Durham. Much closer in than Treyburn with a better school zone: Easley ES (year-round) or Hillandale ES (traditional), Brogden MS, Riverside HS. Lots of families and diversity & very convenient to Duke Med, shopping, state park hiking trails, etc... A newly-built 4BR/3BA custom home is around 400k.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 PM

54 posts, read 160,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Agree to disagree

I grew up surrounded by trees and that's just the feeling I got from Ashbury when driving through it...
Ahh, I see... I lived in Illinois with no trees and corn, so the hills and trees were quite comforting

Back to the OP, look around everywhere... Take the time and find the right area for you and your family. Drive the commute during commuting times, visit the communities after work hours and drive around to check things out... have fun with it.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
I am in wake forest, west side of town, about 3 miles off of 98) and we commuted to duke hospital a number of times this week and in the past, and it took us 30 minutes door to door. Not much traffic to speak of, but I don't know what kind of commute you are looking for!

Leigh

Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM

206 posts, read 746,777 times
Thanks everyone-we ruled out Wake Forest just because once my husband gets to Duke he still has a 10 minute walk and then has to change into scrubs. It is confusing where to settle with kids. There are a lot of conflicting opinions out there about schools. We will look into everyones suggestions. Seems like Mebane is popping up on this forum alot lately! We definitely prefer a lot with trees. I drove through Churton Grove the other day and it looked like a nice neighborhood. Will start looking at other suggestions-thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary