Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM

18 posts, read 39,474 times

Advertisements

I have a neighbor who has a large dog. I don't know what breed it is, but it's big; perhaps standing between 3 and 4 feet high. This dog barks all the time, which drives me crazy, but whatever; I can ignore it to some degree.

However, at about 5:30 or so last night, I saw this neighbor put the dog into a wire cage (the kind that you'd transport a dog in) underneath their deck. The cage is just large enough to hold the dog, but it appears to have no insulation or siding (to be fair, I haven't walked over and examined the cage close up). The owner gave the dog some water in a metal bowl, and then left the dog outside overnight. Seeing as the outdoor temperatures were down in the mid-20s last night, I'm sure the dog's water froze.

This is the first time I've seen this animal caged up like this, but I have a suspicion that it's not the first time it's happened. On occasion, the dog will be tethered to one of the trees in the back yard. I also see the dog inside this neighbor's house from time to time (it will occasionally bark at me through their sun room window).

What, if anything, can I do about this situation? It seems to me that keeping the dog cooped up like this, especially when it's really cold outside, is wrong. Some of the definitions in the animal anti-tethering ordinance (PDF here: http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/agendas/2...619_245316.pdf) seem to concur.

I should note that I don't really know these neighbors, and have never interacted with them. I'm not the confrontational type, but I feel like the dog might be getting mistreated. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times
Call Durham AC....the sooner behavior modification starts on these types of " owners" the better: Durham County : Animal Services

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
You have two options:

1) Go over, introduce yourself, and quickly change the subject to "pets and dogs". Work your way to the topic at hand.

or

2) Call animal control....but this will likely yield no results.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM

423 posts, read 1,095,011 times
I assume you are in Durham? If animal control blows you off try coalition to unchain dogs. Coalition to Unchain Dogs

Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times
I have worked with the Coalition. They are a long-term solution, *if* you can get on the waiting list. When I have asked for assistance, they told me they don't travel out this far (FV) and "start a coalition chapter of my own."

I have, of sorts - not affiliated with anyone but myself. Hence the walking education of this town from a previous post.

For IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE call animal control. And if you must ride them, then ride them. Politely, but do it.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,390 times
Please, I beg you, please follow through with this. This dog needs your help.

I know from experience that it can be difficult to get Animal Control to get to each and every case.

Please persist and do let us know what happens.

Thank you!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Or rescue the dog yourself when no one is looking!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,312 times
might seem a bit under handed but sometimes it is needed..do you by chance have home camera for security reasons? Keep a detailed log of questionible behvaiors, document it as much as you can. take video footage and pictures if at all possible . Show it to them dirctly and make sure they know it is urgent and you have documented proof for an investigation. Speeds up the process when they know its not a dead end lead.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
First speak directly to the neighbor about your concerns. That is the most honorable thing to do. Give them a chance to explain things. If they are mistreating the animal, offer to take it into your home temporarily until you find it a home. If at that point you determine that there is abuse and it will continue, then report them. Since your goal is to help the dog, stay as friendly and compassionate as possible while hearing their side of the story -- who knows if this household is dealing with something tragic or overwhelming to cause them to neglect the dog.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Please, I beg you, please follow through with this. This dog needs your help.

I know from experience that it can be difficult to get Animal Control to get to each and every case.

Please persist and do let us know what happens.

Thank you!
Agreed. Do the right thing...see this through....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary