Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Schools Should NOT start earlier than 8.30 in the morning
Agree 45 42.86%
Disagree 60 57.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times

Advertisements

^^ Indeed also the system is made so that the Highschoolers can make it home before the younger kids do. They way they can babysit etc. The system as is is as good as it's gonna get. It's a shame this accident happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
High school also needs to start pretty early due to after school activities, sports etc.
And yet somehow Chapel Hill Carborro high schools seem to pull off a later start without any problems in that regard ...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times

(shhh...I think they also do it in bigger cities like Denver and Minneapolis)

Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
If there are enough buses for everyone, it's not a problem to pull it off.
Also, not all school districts in this country provide school bus services to all students, so it's difficult to compare start times as a function of school buses from state to state and disctrict to disctrict.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
It has been proven that teenagers are not at their best ability to learn early in the morning.

Although all 4 of mine have graduated, I remember those mornings of trying to get them out of bed. And with such an early start, they had to be up at 6:00 AM to get dressed and ready to leave at 7 AM. Hubby dropped them off since he drove by their schools. If he didn't, the bus would come at 6:30!

And yes, they'd get home at 2:30...wayyyyy to early, in my opinion! I would have loved them to go to school from 9 AM to 4 PM (oh wait, that is what WE did years ago!).

Oh well, wishing won't get it changed AND now that my kids have graduated...I sleep later than most of y'all anyway!!!

Vicki

Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
Agreed. It was a tragic accident. They happen. It has nothing to do with how early it was.
I have seen way too many posts that say that it was an error by the child to have crossed the road without checking the traffic!!! I feel this view is very narrow view! What are the other factors that could have avoided this ???

Would the girl been more attentive if it was NOT DARK ??

Would the driver been more attentive and prevented this accident if it was NOT DARK ?? Usually drivers can anticipate and take precaution, but in dark it is not possible! How many time we have stopped our cars for a deer/duck to cross the road in day time and have hit them in night ?

We should analyse all the factors that led to this tragic incident. We have so many preventive measures in cars, at home and everywhere to avoid a human error (to err is human)! So, the point I am trying to make is, if it was an human error, how we could avoid it, if possible! ( and one thought is let's not make kids walk on busy roads during dark hours)

Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM

546 posts, read 1,679,401 times
Quote:
I have seen way too many posts that say that it was an error by the child to have crossed the road without checking the traffic!!! I feel this view is very narrow view! What are the other factors that could have avoided this ???

How is that a narrow view? It's logical to say that if a child jumps out into the street without paying attention to their surroundings, regardless of light, they assume a greater risk of being hit by a car. That is why we parents teach our kids to stop, look both ways, and then cross when they deem it safe. We teach our kids to do this at any time of day. We don't say to our kids "Hey, only pay attention to your surroundings when it's dark out. But during the day, it's not as big of a deal." Of course we don't. That would be ridiculous. Because we know that accidents can happen at any time of day!

The driver was not speeding. The bus had not come to a complete stop. The child darted out into the road before she should have, and did not pay attention to her surroundings. It could have happened at any time. In fact, it does:

Truck hits boy crossing street in Baytown | khou.com Houston
FM Boy Hit by Van While Crossing Street - Newsradio 1490 KBUR
Young Boy Hit While Crossing the Street | KTXL FOX40
Boy, 15, Struck And Killed While Crossing Street « CBS Baltimore

Children don't often pay attention to their surroundings. That is why it's up to us as parents to constantly enforce that safety around roads is so important.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post

Would the girl been more attentive if it was NOT DARK ??

Would the driver been more attentive and prevented this accident if it was NOT DARK ?? Usually drivers can anticipate and take precaution, but in dark it is not possible! How many time we have stopped our cars for a deer/duck to cross the road in day time and have hit them in night ?

We should analyse all the factors that led to this tragic incident. We have so many preventive measures in cars, at home and everywhere to avoid a human error (to err is human)! So, the point I am trying to make is, if it was an human error, how we could avoid it, if possible! ( and one thought is let's not make kids walk on busy roads during dark hours)
Sorry, I totally disagree with this. I have headlights on my car and have never hit anything, dark or light out. People can and do drive in the dark without hitting things. Kids have been hit in broad daylight too. I don't think darkness is the reason for the accident.
Personally I would like to see WCPSS try to create routes where students don't have to cross roads to get on the bus even if that means occassioanlly backtracking or turning around.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,258 times
I think 8:30 is too late. 8:00am I could get on board with.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Wouldnt in the dark actually be easier to see cars coming down the road providing they are driving with their head lights on.
However I have seen a lot of cars driving with out head lights during dawn and dusk.

Tragic accident but responsibility lies with parent in teaching the child on road safety.
There is no reason for a child to cross a road before a bus arrives no matter what time of day it is until the bus comes and its red flashing lights and stop arm will more than likely stop traffic so a kid can cross the road safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary