Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Schools Should NOT start earlier than 8.30 in the morning
Agree 45 42.86%
Disagree 60 57.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM

206 posts, read 310,629 times

Advertisements

I'm glad we could all walk to school when I was growing up. Kids that lived a mile or so from school rode their bikes to school and that was in 2nd and 3rd grade. Heck none of the elementary schools I went to even had bus service! The whole neighborhood went to the same school. That was the good ol days for sure.

Sadly with all the overpopulation they can not afford to build enough schools within walking distance of everyone anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
I'm glad we could all walk to school when I was growing up. Kids that lived a mile or so from school rode their bikes to school and that was in 2nd and 3rd grade. Heck none of the elementary schools I went to even had bus service! The whole neighborhood went to the same school. That was the good ol days for sure.

Sadly with all the overpopulation they can not afford to build enough schools within walking distance of everyone anymore.

So sad that kids these days have to wait for a bus out in the darkness, and things cannot be more like what you've described.

Kids should not have to be out there in the dark, or walking to a bus in near darkness. Period.

Once I was driving down Millbrook Road early in the morning in the middle of winter on a very rainy morning, and saw a group of kids huddled together under umbrellas, waiting for a bus, before it was light, and thought, "Those poor kids should not be out there. The traffic is passing at their feet!"

Kids waiting for school busses in the darkness of the early morning is dangerous, and ought to be disallowed.

The worry this causes parents and the danger this causes kids is just not right. Should be stopped.

best,
toodie

Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,906 times
I think to prevent students from getting on the bus in the dark OR off the bus in the dark, we'd have to abolish both daylight savings time AND the stupid phenomenon of the days in winter time getting shorter. Can we please petition the school board to take care of that next week?

As for the notion that everyone should live within walking distance of their school: Some people like living in the city, some in the suburbs, some like to have acreage and no neighbors. No, everyone in the good old days did not walk to school.

To mandate that everyone live in walking distance from the school would require that we tear down most of the existing housing and rebuild it. Wait, that sounds like communist Soviet Union to me.......

Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,842 times
I was catching the bus for high school at ~6:30AM in 1980, so this is hardly a new phenomenon.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Its only dark at 6:30 a short time of the year. I woke up this morning and it was already dawn.
With or without daylight savings time is not going to prevent shorter day light in the winter.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,722 times
Default study by American Academy of Pediatrics

Here is a study just released by American Academy of Pediatrics recommends atleast 9 and half hours of sleep for teenagers!

Students Aren't Getting Enough Sleep—School Starts Too Early - The Atlantic

Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
The bus schedules at WCPSS were designed to allow high school students to drive school buses. This persisted until the mid-late 1980s.

WCPSS could easily have all schools start at the same time if there were tax revenues to support a much larger fleet of school buses. There isn't. At present many or most school buses serve double duty by carrying older students to school first and then making a second pass for elementary schools.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Well, If we have been "SCEINTIFIC" we would not start school at 7.30 and bust at 6.30!!, Sample count doesn't matter, just gives an idea of how many common people feel about this. 100 people who are local and have an impact is a very good sample!
EDIT: Didn't realize this post is a year and a half old.

Short version: Poll is indeed flawed in many ways. Would not be useful for anything other than pushing a predetermined outcome...

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I was catching the bus for high school at ~6:30AM in 1980, so this is hardly a new phenomenon.
You were very fortunate. I was walking to school, up hill and through the snow in 1980, just ask my daughter!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
T

WCPSS could easily have all schools start at the same time if there were tax revenues to support a much larger fleet of school buses. There isn't. At present many or most school buses serve double duty by carrying older students to school first and then making a second pass for elementary schools.

Another option is to reverse start times and have elementary school starting at 7:25.

For example:

http://henrico.k12.va.us/schools/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary