Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Schools Should NOT start earlier than 8.30 in the morning
Agree 45 42.86%
Disagree 60 57.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Another option is to reverse start times and have elementary school starting at 7:25.

For example:

HCPS :: Schools
I like the idea of reversed start times, the issue I see would be the time that's needed for after school sports and clubs in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,558 times
Oh my gosh seriously? Have you ever walked to school in the north in the winter time? It feels like twilight until 10am some mornings and it is freezing out there.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
I like the idea of reversed start times, the issue I see would be the time that's needed for after school sports and clubs in high school.
Those are real issues. What we have to decide is whether those issues trump health, safety, and education.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Well that's the rub. This forum is open to EVERYONE. Not just residents of wake county or NC for that matter. You have no idea who is responding to the poll. Not trying to sound mean, but a poll is a waste of time.
As is ANY Internet poll on ANY subject.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
How is that a narrow view? It's logical to say that if a child jumps out into the street without paying attention to their surroundings, regardless of light, they assume a greater risk of being hit by a car. That is why we parents teach our kids to stop, look both ways, and then cross when they deem it safe. We teach our kids to do this at any time of day. We don't say to our kids "Hey, only pay attention to your surroundings when it's dark out. But during the day, it's not as big of a deal." Of course we don't. That would be ridiculous. Because we know that accidents can happen at any time of day!

The driver was not speeding. The bus had not come to a complete stop. The child darted out into the road before she should have, and did not pay attention to her surroundings. It could have happened at any time. In fact, it does:

Truck hits boy crossing street in Baytown | khou.com Houston
FM Boy Hit by Van While Crossing Street - Newsradio 1490 KBUR
Young Boy Hit While Crossing the Street | KTXL FOX40
Boy, 15, Struck And Killed While Crossing Street « CBS Baltimore

Children don't often pay attention to their surroundings. That is why it's up to us as parents to constantly enforce that safety around roads is so important.
Yup--remember a few years ago when that girl was killed on Durant Rd in the middle of the afternoon because she just ran right out in front of traffic trying to cross over to Bojangles. Parents don't seem to be stressing the need to their kids to look before crossing the street, like they used to--especially with drivers more distracted than ever, with cell phones, etc (although in the case I sited, the driver was not at fault). I once overheard a kid tell his little brother as they were crossing a (thankfully low-traffic) road "Come on, Mom said cars always have to stop for us." Hmm, my mom said "look both ways and don't go in the street if you see a car."

And don't get me started on the college kids who dart out in front of cars near universities, while on their phones or with earbuds in--totally oblivious. What did their parents teach them???

When I'm a pedestrian, I let the car go first, even if I have the right of way (unless it's at a stoplight, etc). I'd rather be unharmed than "right".

Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM

621 posts, read 982,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
but a poll is a waste of time.
No more than the inane posts we indulge in here. Give him credit for trying to do something positive about what he believes in.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
14-year-old girl killed at school bus stop near Garner :: WRAL.com

I am really sad about yesterday's accident. There are several things that contributed to the accident, one of the major one is darkness as per the article.

Neither speed nor alcohol were factors in the wreck, he said, but it was still dark at that time in the morning.
"That's one of the factors we're looking at," Gordon said.

I still don't understand why schools need to start so early ? Kids have to get to the bus before sunrise ?

Lets see the votes and I will take this to WCPSS!
Bus accidento happen in broad daylight as well.....the idiot is making excuses. If they make it later than people will just complain it gets out to late.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you really think a county school system the size of WCPSS can start all their schools at the same time, within a 45 minute period, you are seriously delusional. It would also mean people having to drum up before-care for their kids if they go to an early school where that's not currently needed. Trust me, petition or not,...will of the (some) people or not... it is never going to happen.
Therein lies the problem......................

Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Another option is to reverse start times and have elementary school starting at 7:25.

For example:

HCPS :: Schools
We did that in WI. When I went to school, high school started at 7:30 and grade schools started around 9. By the time I was teaching there, elementary schools started at 7:45 and high schools went later-unsure what time they started, but closer to 9.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you really think a county school system the size of WCPSS can start all their schools at the same time, within a 45 minute period, you are seriously delusional. It would also mean people having to drum up before-care for their kids if they go to an early school where that's not currently needed. Trust me, petition or not,...will of the (some) people or not... it is never going to happen.
Looks like Fairfax County Va is committed to moving toward it. If they can do it Wake Co can probably follow their lead.

FCPS - Later High School Start Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary