Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times

Advertisements

I went and had a shopping list from my wife, who was visiting her mother for Mother's Day. I hit up Greek Gussy's, Sweet Stacy Cakes (AKA Smiles the Cupcake Truck), and Chick-n-Que. I got something for myself only at Gussy's. I was in line for Barone's Meatballs since they're a newer truck I hadn't had a chance to try yet, but his line didn't seem to be moving much, if any at all.

I'd say this was a success and there were some things I definitely liked better about this than Durham's layout at Durham Central Park, but also some things I liked better about Durham:

Raleigh Pros:
-Seating and tables! That and planters, steps, stoops, etc. to park it on and eat.
-Ability for lines to spread out a little (you don't feel like you're breathing in somebody else's ear!)
-Lots of free parking (kudos to Raleigh for not charging for parking at the municipal parking decks)
-The inclusion of multiple local breweries (as much as I love Fullsteam, I'd love to see Triangle or BCBB or other local breweries turn up at the Durham rodeos)

Raleigh Cons:
-Layout/density of people made for a disincentive to wander around or visit trucks on the extreme ends of the rodeo. I think the furthest south I went was Old North State BBQ and the furthest north I made it was La Farm. I also don't think the queuing strategy for the trucks on Martin St. (Parlour, King Creole, Deli-icious, American Meltdown) was well thought out as you've got two incredibly popular trucks in The Parlour and American Meltdown - when I went through I couldn't quite make sense of where whose line began.

Still, I think this made for a great first run and I'll definitely be back for more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
I don't think the restaurants downtown have any room to ***** about food trucks anymore.

We got to the rodeo right at noon and hit up Pie Pushers and CJ's. Then we wandered around for a bit chatting up friends we'd run into before getting some Italian ice from Sweetwater. It was about 2:30pm at that point. I was still a little hungry but by then the lines at most of the foods trucks were almost an hour long and they were selling out of food. So we decided to just go to Raleigh Times for some nachos and beer but they were slammed packed with people. We went over to Busy Bee and they were slammed as well but we managed to get their last table downstairs. After we got done there and started walking back to the car we noticed Chuck's and Beasley's had waits at their restaurants. It was pretty obvious that a lot of people came downtown for the rodeo, realized they didn't want to wait forever for food, and flocked to the restaurants instead.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I cannot wrap my mind around waiting an hour in line for food from a food truck. Most of the food is good but not THAT good! I recently had chirba chirba dumpling (which I didn't have to wait long for) and was like "wha? People wait an hour for this?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I cannot wrap my mind around waiting an hour in line for food from a food truck. Most of the food is good but not THAT good! I recently had chirba chirba dumpling (which I didn't have to wait long for) and was like "wha? People wait an hour for this?
I don't know of any line that was an hour wait. I think my wait in Gussy's line was maybe 20-30 minutes. You also have to understand that because people flock to rodeos, the wait is disproportionate to what you'd usually get at a regular lunch service. My usual wait for a gyro and a chicken pita at Gussy's is about 5-10 minutes tops.

The other thing to understand is that as these rodeos become more commonplace, the wait will also likely die down.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I don't know of any line that was an hour wait. I think my wait in Gussy's line was maybe 20-30 minutes. You also have to understand that because people flock to rodeos, the wait is disproportionate to what you'd usually get at a regular lunch service. My usual wait for a gyro and a chicken pita at Gussy's is about 5-10 minutes tops.

The other thing to understand is that as these rodeos become more commonplace, the wait will also likely die down.
That's what I mean, I don't understand the appeal of the rodeos with super long lines. To me, the lines are disproportional to how good the actual food is. We usually just find them parked somewhere locally if we want to try them out.
I refuse to wait in line more than 5 minutes for food, but that's just me. I have yet to find one that was truly worth the wait! (Not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't had one yet.) Was not really impressed with Stacey's cupcakes either (had them twice), I get better ones at local bakeries.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
That's what I mean, I don't understand the appeal of the rodeos with super long lines. To me, the lines are disproportional to how good the actual food is. We usually just find them parked somewhere locally if we want to try them out.
I refuse to wait in line more than 5 minutes for food, but that's just me. I have yet to find one that was truly worth the wait! (Not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't had one yet.) Was not really impressed with Stacey's cupcakes either (had them twice), I get better ones at local bakeries.
That's honestly a surprise to me. I think Stacey's are the best locally available. But then again cupcakes are a subjective thing. Some people love The Cupcake Shoppe but I find their icing intolerable.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
I think its the festival feel to it. I always see people getting beer first, then standing in a line for food. Talking and mingling with others in line. More of a social gathering then just going out to get a taco....

I also try ti find the trucks elsewhere, but it isnt just about the food at a rodeo....

Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
This was my feeling going in, but we were riding bikes and having fun, so it was all good. Anyway, I waited a very short time on the truck I've been wanting to try for a long time, so it worked out for me this time.

The food was really good, and I was able to wash it down with a beer. I was taken aback by the size of the crowd. (Seriously, I'd have to venture a guess that 30k-50k people were there. It was CRAZY!)

I fully planned that if the lines were redonculous, I'd just hop on my bike, ride a mile or two away, and hit a local restaurant for a burger and a pint. Didn't need to.

Part of the appeal (for me) is that many of the truck operators are "foodies", and offer some unique, yet simple things. I mostly like finding them at another business. It is like heaven to come out of Cat's Cradle after a night of live music, hungry and tired, and then find a good food truck at the front door. Yes!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM

167 posts, read 303,894 times
Sound like it was a place to be Sorry we missed it Hope it will happen again maybe in a few months if this one turned out good for all, We when to one in DC last year it was well planed and layed out so you could walk eat and walk awhile then start over never repeat a type of food !

Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmore1 View Post
Sound like it was a place to be Sorry we missed it Hope it will happen again maybe in a few months if this one turned out good for all, We when to one in DC last year it was well planed and layed out so you could walk eat and walk awhile then start over never repeat a type of food !
There will be more in the future. Next Durham Central Park Rodeo is scheduled for June 16th and the next downtown Raleigh rodeo is scheduled a week earlier for June 9th. Go to both and compare contrast to see which you like better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary