Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:08 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justelise View Post
Every time I go to Durham it seems dismal. I have turned down plenty of job interviews out there because I'd hate to have to live there.
Oh,please. I don't believe that statement for one second.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:42 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina48 View Post
I'm happy to see other "30-something, single, no kids" women out there making the move to the Raleigh area. I'm looking to move within the next few months and would love to meet some new people to explore the place with!
As a single 30 yr old male with no kids I just wanted to chime in and say, I'm as happy as you are!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
"as a thirty-something, no kids, single person" in Chapel Hill my experience says that you could very well start to feel a bit old and over-the-hill. I'm not saying that you are, but the town has almost thirty thousand young college students under the age of thirty, more than sixty percent of whom are female, plus most of the thirty-somethings in town are generally married professors or the like with young families.
From what I've seen the RDU-Chapel Hill metro as a whole contains a lot of married folks with young families. As far as the under 30 crowd in Chapel Hill is concerned, I wouldn't say folks moving here and interacting in Chapel Hill would feel "over the hill" or "feel old". I think it varies from person to person. I certainly don't feel old or over the hill when I'm down in Chapel Hill interacting with some of those folks whom are under 30. For me they're great to be around b/c they're much different than the people I work with. I feel just as young as some of them. Hell, a few of those under 30 (21-26) yrs of age females (the ones I know are juniors and seniors and UNC) are very interested in this 30 yr old guy. So for me the benefits of working out Chapel Hill has its advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
Chapel Hill and Carrboro are great towns but they are college towns. They are nothing like cities with vibrant young-seeming thirty and forty-somethings with lots of places to go for that demographic. Maybe Raleigh? I've lived in Chapel Hill, Durham, Carrboro, Los Angeles, San Francisco and other places. From my experience I'd say that North Carolina is a great place to raise a family.
I agree with your statement. North Carolina is a great place to raise a family but it may not be the best place to be single.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justelise View Post
Every time I go to Durham it seems dismal. I have turned down plenty of job interviews out there because I'd hate to have to live there. I'd pay the extra money just not to have to live there.
It's all about perspective. I live in Durham and get depressed in Brier Creek. I am not joking. I sometimes shop there at lunch, but I am happy to leave it rather quickly. This is because to me it looks like Paramus, NJ and at least in Paramus you have NYC right there.

So, Durham is just not for you, and maybe you would be happier around Brier Creek.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,919 times
I am considering moving to NC from MD next yr and also am a single 30-s female. Any ideas on where to buy for about $150,000. I am definitely considering Apex and Raleigh- what areas of Raleigh are reasonable and safe???

thanks

Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisamoda View Post
I am considering moving to NC from MD next yr and also am a single 30-s female. Any ideas on where to buy for about $150,000. I am definitely considering Apex and Raleigh- what areas of Raleigh are reasonable and safe???

thanks
$150,000 will get you a townhome in Raleigh, Apex, or Cary, and possibly a single family home.

Possibly a small single family starter home, maybe two bedrooms.

There are many more safe areas in Wake County than there are unsafe areas.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
"Durham seems slightly depressed...."

I'm sorry, that statement just seems funny to me. It is like saying "Cary seems slightly repressed...."

Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 PM

16 posts, read 197,612 times
Durham is the overpriced ghetto of NC. The only good area was southpoint and I loved the mall there. I also liked alot of the other shops and stuff, and the houses were nice looking but the rent is painfully high for such a place. I was gonna move to one that was 800/mo for 2br but i read reviews that it had pest problems and the staff was snotty and never cared about you after you signed the lease and I heard they required rental insurace and the rate was 180/mo! They also did not allow family members to be there overnight at all. They also had strict parking policies and your car had to look a certain way if it had any damage it wasn't to be parked onsite and alot of other BS. I think it was one were you can see from I-40 and it had a long name and was stone on the outside of some buildings that's all i could remember of the looks. But the apartments were cheap feeling. They also were all white and your stains and mess would easily become the focial point of the room.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedkitty View Post
The only good area was southpoint and I loved the mall there. I also liked alot of the other shops and stuff, and the houses were nice looking but the rent is painfully high ....
Yep. Sounds like a ghetto to me...

Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedkitty View Post
Durham is the overpriced ghetto of NC. The only good area was southpoint and I loved the mall there. I also liked alot of the other shops and stuff, and the houses were nice looking but the rent is painfully high for such a place. I was gonna move to one that was 800/mo for 2br but i read reviews that it had pest problems and the staff was snotty and never cared about you after you signed the lease and I heard they required rental insurace and the rate was 180/mo! They also did not allow family members to be there overnight at all. They also had strict parking policies and your car had to look a certain way if it had any damage it wasn't to be parked onsite and alot of other BS. I think it was one were you can see from I-40 and it had a long name and was stone on the outside of some buildings that's all i could remember of the looks. But the apartments were cheap feeling. They also were all white and your stains and mess would easily become the focial point of the room.
hmm... so one narrow experience is enough to judge the entire HUGE city of Durham? interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary