Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times

Advertisements

One of my neighbors actually called the police to complain of kids playing in the cul de sac! Ha! The police thought it was nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 PM

46 posts, read 91,162 times
I've only been in a couple of houses there, and in those two they had nice big back yards, but absolutely zero privacy side to side. Is that typical or just happened to be an issue with the two houses I visited?

I'm sure it is a great place to live, it is just not at all what I expected given what I had heard.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisstheSea View Post
I've only been in a couple of houses there, and in those two they had nice big back yards, but absolutely zero privacy side to side. Is that typical or just happened to be an issue with the two houses I visited?

I'm sure it is a great place to live, it is just not at all what I expected given what I had heard.
I think it varies. The lots in the estates section have more privacy all around compared to the manors section.

Again, generally speaking.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
One of my neighbors actually called the police to complain of kids playing in the cul de sac! Ha! The police thought it was nuts!
I would never do that unless the kids refused to unblock my driveway area, were blocking my mailbox all the time and the parents could not reign them in, etc.

Or, obvious things like destruction of my actual property.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 42,572 times
Just curious, if you didn't like copperleaf, where did you end up?

Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
We have drainage ditches and no sidewalks and any inference about the quality/type of peope who live in the neighborhood is rather shallow at best and self reflecting. Took a while to get use to and if having a home built make sure you know what the slope is going to be as mowing and maintenance can be a challenge. In fact we have a ton of people out and walking in the street constantly as in constantly. It is a very safe neighborhood with no crime as it is limited in entrance and exit. As one poster noted sidewalks are impervious and can contribute to water pollution. Any of you from Maryland and Virginia know that the Chesapeke bay has some serious pollution problems and Maryland has initiated a hard surface tax and Virginia has so far resisted doing so. Yes a hard surface tax where hard surfaces on your property are taxed and that includes your roof, driveway etc.

Rain Tax Will Fall On Md. Property Owners « CBS Baltimore

Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I can't even picture what these things look like. Will have to hoof it over there next time I visit my parents.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We have drainage ditches and no sidewalks and any inference about the quality/type of peope who live in the neighborhood is rather shallow at best and self reflecting. Took a while to get use to and if having a home built make sure you know what the slope is going to be as mowing and maintenance can be a challenge. In fact we have a ton of people out and walking in the street constantly as in constantly. It is a very safe neighborhood with no crime as it is limited in entrance and exit. As one poster noted sidewalks are impervious and can contribute to water pollution. Any of you from Maryland and Virginia know that the Chesapeke bay has some serious pollution problems and Maryland has initiated a hard surface tax and Virginia has so far resisted doing so. Yes a hard surface tax where hard surfaces on your property are taxed and that includes your roof, driveway etc.

Rain Tax Will Fall On Md. Property Owners « CBS Baltimore
I haven't seen anyone imply that there's anything wrong with the people who live in such neighborhoods.

All I see is discussion about preferences for types of streets, sidewalks, etc.

I think Copperleaf is a lovely neighborhood, for the large part. I just prefer neighborhoods with sidewalks. I don't like the Woodlands, but that has more to do with my general dislike of Toll Brothers.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova123 View Post
Just curious, if you didn't like copperleaf, where did you end up?
We bought a resale in a smaller custom neighborhood. Homes vary in size from about 3000-5500 sq ft. Lots from around 1/4 to 1/2 acre. We liked the location better.

Oh. And the sidewalks.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM

46 posts, read 91,162 times
Thanks for the info, I really was curious.
I honestly did not mean to come across as judgemental (??) or anything! The ditches and deep but narrow lots I saw just left me scratching my head given the price point, and I was trying to understand the layout better. It's too bad the builder did not set some land aside for a water feature/pond to address the drainage issues if that was the primary reason. I have to say though, the houses there are just beautiful! Brand new houses by great customer builders are hard to find.

We also elected to stick with an older custom house closer into town and near schools/conveniences. Much smaller homes than Copperleaf, and some in need of updating, but walkable and mature landscaping that provide a lot of privacy in the yards. Copperleaf would have been at the very high end of our budget, and I am very pleased to be somewhere at a much lower price point that we like much better. Different strokes for different folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary