Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 PM

46 posts, read 91,225 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that several of the newer/expensive/ large house neighborhoods in Cary have drainage ditches along the streets/end of the yards instead of sidewalks (Copperleaf, Toll Brothers Communities).

Does anyone know why? It's probably just me, but it makes a neighborhood seem unfriendly and kind of unfinished. It also means the only place to walk and for small kids to bike is in the street.

Even just grass yards with no sidewalks would look nicer to me than those ditches, even though they try to dress them up with brick.

Is this a choice that the developer made, or is it required due to a drainage issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
I think you''ve hit the nail on the head...the sort of people a neighborhood without sidewalks would appeal to are probably not your kind of neighbor. Believe it or not, there are people in NC who won't ever come out of their house. Make it simple...just buy a house with sidewalks.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 PM

270 posts, read 379,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I think you''ve hit the nail on the head...the sort of people a neighborhood without sidewalks would appeal to are probably not your kind of neighbor. Believe it or not, there are people in NC who won't ever come out of their house. Make it simple...just buy a house with sidewalks.

Don't forget that sometimes the county comes along and puts in those storm drain ditches after you've lived there awhile... definitely not our choice. As fun as it is to navigate down it to pick up the darn newspaper that we don't subscribe to and then there's the fun of the treacherous mowing now too.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
A lot of times those grassed Swales are used instead of curb and gutters to attain storm water runoff reduction requirements the builders are required to meet. The rainwater infiltrates into the ground as it flows through the grassed swale instead of across the sidewalk and road into a storm drain and into a nearby creek.

Less sidewalk, less impervious = better water quality.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM

224 posts, read 432,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
A lot of times those grassed Swales are used instead of curb and gutters to attain storm water runoff reduction requirements the builders are required to meet. The rainwater infiltrates into the ground as it flows through the grassed swale instead of across the sidewalk and road into a storm drain and into a nearby creek.

I learned a new word today: swale

Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I think they are attempting a "style" and saving money all at the same time.

Though, NRG has a good point about the runoff requirements.

You have touched on one of the reasons we ultimately didn't care that much for Copperleaf. We like the finished look of a neighborhood with sidewalks. And if you go visit Copperleaf much, you will see that ALL THE KIDS PLAY IN THE STREET.

I had one throw rocks at my car a week or so ago. No lie. I nearly stopped to ask the little darling where she lived, so I could go ask her mother if she planned to pay for the damage to my car if princess developed good luck or good aim next time.

I would like to see these types of neighborhoods opt for a finished curb, even if they don't plan to install sidewalks. I think it would make the road look tidier.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

I agree here. You could pull up the builders plans and see what the requirements were. It is possible it is a permeability issue. Are they required to have a water retention pond? My guess would be no - and they do this instead... You see this a LOT in North Raleigh as a way to deal with storm water run off. Makes for tricky driving when icy.

Heh Heh. Buying a home without sidewalks/curbs was a requirement when we moved here long ago. I viewed it as very suburban and didn't particularly want that.

Now we are in a neighborhood and I chose a lot without a sidewalk b/c I ddn't want to deal with clearing it in the winter and mowing a tiny strip of grass and having it take over part of 'my' front yard. add in the fact that I have two young drivers now and I didn't really want the added worry of little kids playing in front of my house or walking on the sidewalk.

:-)

This is why there are LOTS of choices out there for homes. We are all looking for something just a little bit different!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM

25 posts, read 42,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You have touched on one of the reasons we ultimately didn't care that much for Copperleaf. We like the finished look of a neighborhood with sidewalks. And if you go visit Copperleaf much, you will see that ALL THE KIDS PLAY IN THE STREET.
This can't be the only neighborhood where kids play or bike on the street. We live here and absolutely love it. Very family friendly and also since houses are not on top of each other there much more breathing room.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova123 View Post
This can't be the only neighborhood where kids play or bike on the street.
Depends where you live.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-play-out.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...s-playing.html

Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova123 View Post
This can't be the only neighborhood where kids play or bike on the street. We live here and absolutely love it. Very family friendly and also since houses are not on top of each other there much more breathing room.
It isn't the only one.

It's a lovely neighborhood, but it could seriously use some sidewalks. Funny part is the tons of trails, but kids still biking in the street.

I'd use those trails. They are lovely.

ETA: that wasn't your kid throwing rocks over on Mentmore, was it?

I kid. I kid. It was right near that house on the right that looks like a home-based daycare in the back yard, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary