Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Oil, gang its peak oil. China is using american dollars it has and is bidding up the price. Americans are clueless to this oil mess. Its OVER happy american motoring Nascar sundays will be a thing of the past much sooner than you think. You could be paying 5 to 6 dollars a gallon for gasoline!
OR...the price of gas will go down as it seems to go up and then come down. What will you have to complain about then???

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM

266 posts, read 590,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Thats why I posted the links to your guru. The difficulty you have is knowing that if you are right it means pain and suffering for millions. I would not expect you to be altruistic in your investments. I am not. My only question with your strategy is not if it is right or wrong but do you want to be right? If you couldn't wouldn't you prefer to be wrong? Do you want to raise your children in a world where you were right or wrong? I am sure that investment philosophy is great conversation at a party or that without that topic you are fun at a party. My only advice is keep it away from the playground as the soccer moms might use you for a kicking drill
C'mon now. I'm sure those who invest in Wal-Mart, Exxon, and other companies are altruistic investors? Just because it's listed on the US stock market doesn't mean the underlying investment is "altruistic".

Whether I care if I'm right or not is irrelevant to this conversation. A market or economy cannot be "talked up" and no amount of feel good rah rah bullish attitude can help if the system is flawed. Right now, borrowing and consuming at an overwhelming pace will hurt most for years to come. It is unsustainable.

While there'll be suffering for millions, we will grow as a nation from our suffering. The dollar will eventually come back, the housing market a stable one, manufacturing will be revamped, we will regain the time valued tradition of knowing the value of a dollar. No one is entitled to security and prosperity, and freedom isn't free. Freedom from debt, freedom from increasing government intervention in our everyday lives, etc. My parents grew up in a communist country and when I visited family during the regime's rule, I saw first hand how the government offered security in exchange for their liberties. I'm seeing this happen to our country, and the rate at which the exchange is taking place is accelerating.

I NEVER mention my investments at a party. As they say, your investments should be boring, your life exciting. I know people would likely point at me as part of the problem and not the solution and words like "profiteer", "bottom feeder", and other lovely phrases might come my way, just because I acted in a manner that in my opinion is self-preserving for my family and myself. It caters to the lowest common denominator, envy. On an extreme scale, the Jews were accused of profiteering from the Germans during their Weirmar republic's economic catastrophe of the 20's. The Germans' envy against the Jews was so overwhelming and their situation so desperate, they elected a person who promised them prosperity, and the cost was dire to many. What if there were enough people like myself that could convince others to save instead of spend the economy into bankruptcy and perhaps help prevent such an occurrence? Would that now be altruistic? This situation is hypothetical by definition, because if the occurrence was avoided, no one would know. Again, this is an extreme scenario, but it illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:20 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,698,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudy McRomson View Post
C'mon now. I'm sure those who invest in Wal-Mart, Exxon, and other companies are altruistic investors? Just because it's listed on the US stock market doesn't mean the underlying investment is "altruistic".

Whether I care if I'm right or not is irrelevant to this conversation. A market or economy cannot be "talked up" and no amount of feel good rah rah bullish attitude can help if the system is flawed. Right now, borrowing and consuming at an overwhelming pace will hurt most for years to come. It is unsustainable.

While there'll be suffering for millions, we will grow as a nation from our suffering. The dollar will eventually come back, the housing market a stable one, manufacturing will be revamped, we will regain the time valued tradition of knowing the value of a dollar. No one is entitled to security and prosperity, and freedom isn't free. Freedom from debt, freedom from increasing government intervention in our everyday lives, etc. My parents grew up in a communist country and when I visited family during the regime's rule, I saw first hand how the government offered security in exchange for their liberties. I'm seeing this happen to our country, and the rate at which the exchange is taking place is accelerating.

I NEVER mention my investments at a party. As they say, your investments should be boring, your life exciting. I know people would likely point at me as part of the problem and not the solution and words like "profiteer", "bottom feeder", and other lovely phrases might come my way, just because I acted in a manner that in my opinion is self-preserving for my family and myself. It caters to the lowest common denominator, envy. On an extreme scale, the Jews were accused of profiteering from the Germans during their Weirmar republic's economic catastrophe of the 20's. The Germans' envy against the Jews was so overwhelming and their situation so desperate, they elected a person who promised them prosperity, and the cost was dire to many. What if there were enough people like myself that could convince others to save instead of spend the economy into bankruptcy and perhaps help prevent such an occurrence? Would that now be altruistic? This situation is hypothetical by definition, because if the occurrence was avoided, no one would know. Again, this is an extreme scenario, but it illustrates the point I'm trying to make.
The Economics and Politics forums should be boring, the Raleigh, Durham, CH, Cary forum should be exciting. My problem with some of your posts is they have little to do with the Triangle.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM

709 posts, read 935,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
OR...the price of gas will go down as it seems to go up and then come down. What will you have to complain about then???

Vicki
Vicky

Look at the price of crude oil. Its now over 90 a barrel, that equates with over 5 dollar a gallon gasoline this spring or even late winter if we have a good cold spell in the country. This has major implications for the triangle. Gasoline shortages will cause gas lines again and just wait to see what that will do to the housing market down here in the triangle.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM

842 posts, read 3,230,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Vicky

Look at the price of crude oil. Its now over 90 a barrel, that equates with over 5 dollar a gallon gasoline this spring or even late winter if we have a good cold spell in the country. This has major implications for the triangle. Gasoline shortages will cause gas lines again and just wait to see what that will do to the housing market down here in the triangle.
My prediction: I do also believe that the price of crude oil is going to plummet in the next couple of years (especially when China suffers a long-overdue recession). The price of oil right now is spurring a lot of investment in exploration, and that's going to likely cause oversupply problems at some point, similar to what we saw during the late 90's. However, the oversupply is not going to be anywhere near as strong as the late 90's, and it's probably going to be followed with considerably higher oil prices than we see even now.

And there's not going to be gas shortages this winter...only really expensive gas. The only reason why we had gas shortages in the late 70's is because there was an actual embargo against the U.S. at the time.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 PM

709 posts, read 935,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
My prediction: I do also believe that the price of crude oil is going to plummet in the next couple of years (especially when China suffers a long-overdue recession). The price of oil right now is spurring a lot of investment in exploration, and that's going to likely cause oversupply problems at some point, similar to what we saw during the late 90's. However, the oversupply is not going to be anywhere near as strong as the late 90's, and it's probably going to be followed with considerably higher oil prices than we see even now.

And there's not going to be gas shortages this winter...only really expensive gas. The only reason why we had gas shortages in the late 70's is because there was an actual embargo against the U.S. at the time.

Peak oil, there will be no oversupply. Those days are over. The mexican field is crashing the north sea field is declining and the big field in saudi arabia is slowing. sorry your response is pie in the sky. Oil is well in trouble and happy motoring nascar style is gonna take a beating. The southern boys are gonna be angry.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,868 times
This has been a fun thread to follow. You have the "Emperor's New Clothes" crowd vs "The Emperor is Stark Naked" crowd and never the twain shall meet......

Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post

High oil prices, now there is a new phenomenon. Let see we can blame the government, other countries, oil companies, but one only has to look in their garages and the distances they travel to school/work/shop to know where the real problem lies.
That pretty much hits the nail on the head!

Which would you choose?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Just for some perspective on the gas debate. Assume one drives 40 miles a day to and from work and another 10 miles a day for miscellaneous errands. Your vehicle gets 20 miles to a gallon. And you work 5 days a week. 50miles/day x 5 = 250 Miles/week and your vehicle gets on average 20 miles per gallon.
@ $3/gallon It cost you $37.50 / week for gas.
@ $4/gallon It cost you $50.00 / week for gas. That's about a 34% increase per week.

Bottom line is the price of gas will be what it will be.
Hopefully that takes some of the emotion out of $3/gal. gas versus $4/gal. debate.

One only has to look at the drought to combat the increase in gas prices and that is conserve, conserve, and conserve. Figuring out creative ways to stop driving will save you real money.

Dang it......I fell into the bad news trap. kicking carpet under the desk......this is a thread on good news! PLEASE!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,050,183 times
Default great post

Because of the nature of our economy here(RTP, State Gov and the Universities) we are far better off than most msa's. Look at the history of our unemployment rate. Look at home appreciation since 1960. I could go on and on. If this area was a stock, it would have a strong buy on it. Sure we have problems due to growth. But these are good problems. Ask Detroit or Buffaloe or Long Island officials if they would not like to have our problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary