Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Clark Howard is the real deal. Ever see him on TV? He stands up cause he's too cheap to buy a chair.

I agree. I have listened to Dave Ramsey on occasion but simply can't take his advice because he does endorsements. Clark Howard NEVER does endorsements for profit.

OP: So what if Dave Ramsey endorses a dealership? Does that mean you'll get the best deal? No, it just means the dealership paid Dave Ramsey to say the dealership sells cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I like listening to Clark. But by God, I hope I am never as cheap as that man. He brings it to a whole other level.
I have wondered before if extreme frugality is a mental illness.

I mean, people who spend in excess are usually diagnosed with some disorder.

Wonder why that does not work in reverse?

I think it's our Puritannical roots here in the US.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

I mean, people who spend in excess are usually diagnosed with some disorder.

Wonder why that does not work in reverse?

I think it's our Puritannical roots here in the US.
I would consider "extreme frugality" to be more like people who decline to meet their financial obligations, rather than just cheapness in consumption.
I have heard Clark tell people that they need to pay their bills.
To some extent, I think Clark knows he has a workable shtick and tolerates some of his own foibles to support his public image. And his wife sounds fairly normal. Maybe saintly...

Actually, I think of Clark Howard as fairly generous as much as cheap.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would consider "extreme frugality" to be more like people who decline to meet their financial obligations, rather than just cheapness in consumption.
I have heard Clark tell people that they need to pay their bills.
To some extent, I think Clark knows he has a workable shtick and tolerates some of his own foibles to support his public image. And his wife sounds fairly normal. Maybe saintly...

Actually, I think of Clark Howard as fairly generous as much as cheap.
I wasn't talking about him. I'm sure part of his thing is entertainment.

This thread just got me thinking in general.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about him. I'm sure part of his thing is entertainment.

This thread just got me thinking in general.
Gotcha. But I think extreme cheapness is common to humankind, and is a cousin to greed and covetousness, which have been recognized as foibles for thousands of years.

I sold a house a few years ago, and my buyers and I laughed about the seller's financial neurosis.
You would have had to be there to see it.

He was the consummate, "Know the cost of everything and the value of nothing" oddball.
Almost had a stroke at the cost of nickel-dime repairs. Chased us through the house at showings and inspection and "estimated" all repairs at $5 or $10, or unnecessary. Dang near burned the place down playing electrician...
Couldn't hire help to move out.
Slept in the trailer with his goods in it in the street on the night of closing.

Etc. Etc. Like I said, you would have had to be there.

I told the buyers that the $92,000 proceeds check at closing was probably taking 10 years off his life, fretting about it. "My Precioussssssssss...." Or maybe it kept him young, long beyond his years. Maybe he was 600 years old and only looked to be 42?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
Quote:
I think it is and I think my dad has it. He is downright ridiculous on what he will refuse to spend money on. I try to explain to him that if he spent a little more maybe the product would last longer and he wouldn't have so much broken crap laying around his house.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM

510 posts, read 901,438 times
The OP was wondering what car dealership Dave ramsey was endorsing. The answer would be the one who is paying him.

if you want real advice don't buy a new car

Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM

7,825 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
The OP was wondering what car dealership Dave ramsey was endorsing. The answer would be the one who is paying him.

if you want real advice don't buy a new car
If you were to listen to Suze Orman you must buy an Acura and a Lexus. Nothing like double dipping endorsements.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
What station plays Clark Howard on the RDP area? During what time block please?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What station plays Clark Howard on the RDP area? During what time block please?
You can get Clark Howard on 850 AM, one of the WPTF stations.
WPTF | 680 AM | 850 AM

Also, I don't know the slots, but available On Demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary