Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 PM

96 posts, read 302,923 times

Advertisements

Anyone who moved to the triangle area from Ann Arbor (MI)? Could you please comment on your experiences living in MI vs the triangle?

Context: Considering a move to Ann Arbor (Employer: U of Michigan)

Last edited by fidodido25; 01-11-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:53 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,335,242 times
We left Michigan in 2009. We lived just outside Detroit (about 500 feet) between Detroit and Livonia. We were making considerably more in Michigan currency (almost 50% more), but had LESS money than we do now. Between the taxes, utilities and daily expenses, we just could not do anything other than check-to-check survival.
Cost wise food and medical was cheaper, but that was all.
We did sort of like the environment. There were activities lke flea markets, parks and just being outside with friends and neighbors. Not that different from here.
For us the other BIG difference is smog and pollution. Last summer we were in the metro area and I could barely stand the air. My eyes were burning and all I could smell was gas fumes as we drove around the Downriver area (neighboring burbs of Detroit).
My wife goes back to visit the kids and I hesitantly go with her. If it weren't for the kids neither of us would probably even think about the North Country.
Ann Arbor isn't what it was 10-15 yeras ago. The college town has morphed and become almost main-stream. Maybe GOOGLE will bring back the bohemian flavor it once had?

Then there is the WINTER....self explanatory. Not to say snow cannot be fun if you enjoy skiing, hiking and photography.
I suppose it comes down to the job and what you will be doing for the university. We knew a few folks that worked there, some as labor and one or two as instructors. The labor folks had more fun and the instructors seemed a bit anxious (maybe highstrung type A)?
Everything you would probably need can be found in A2. You are a quick jump away from some wonderful summer and fall adventures up US 23. US 23 by the way is quite nasty in the winter. THe US 23 corridore also has some of the best apple cider and doughnuts to be had come October.
Then there is the short drive to the big city of Detroit and all its offerings or lack there of??

All in all, we consider this the best move of our lives and our only regret (other than the kids) is we did not do it sooner.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 AM

117 posts, read 264,440 times
Default NC to A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidodido25 View Post
Anyone who moved to the triangle area from Ann Arbor (MI)? Could you please comment on your experiences living in MI vs the triangle?

Context: Considering a move to Ann Arbor (Employer: U of Michigan)

Just moved to A2 from CH, and I finally feel like I have come home. I absolutely love it here. So many friendly, caring, accepting people in A2. Lots to do, everything is within a 10-15 minute drive, or walkable. Vibrant downtown, liberal feel, river, lakes, bike lanes, many trails. Many independent book stores, restaurants, and shops- what a surprise that was!

Summers, spring, fall, early winter are delightful- most restaurants have outdoor seating and winters are not as bad as advertised...yet... as I hear Feb and March are bad. So far the temps average about 10 degrees less than CH.

Property taxes are higher, but income, sales tax lower. Vet bills, doctor, other services lower here.

Yes, sometimes I miss the Carolina blue skies, but just when I get sad, the clouds go away, and the sun shines and I am happy again.

Family and friends say they love working at U of M.... many stayed 25+ years after graduating never leaving the area...the ones that left mostly hated the winters.

It snowed in early Dec a couple of inches, and stayed on the lawns a few weeks- and was still as white as when it fell. I check the weather every day, and there were only a handful of days where the air quality was not good.

If you have any questions, etc, I will be happy to help- just PM me.

Last edited by ferro28; 01-12-2011 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: forgot to add...

Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,876,049 times
If I ever move back to MI, I'd live in AA. However, the winters are just too dark, cold and long for my taste. Call me a wimp, but I don't think I can handle the extreme winter weather. But Ann Arbor, like the previous poster said, is a great walkable college town, I really love AA!!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 AM

673 posts, read 2,270,960 times
Our family lived in the A2 area for 20 years and absolutely loved it. We moved here in 2007 following Pfizer's departure from Ann Arbor. Our children were born and raised there, so we developed strong ties.

We returned to Michigan in December for our daughter's graduation from MSU, and hubby and I both loved being back "home."

Winters can be harsh, some worse than others, and temps can remain bitterly cold for extended periods. The hardest part is that spring comes much later than it does here, with snow still falling into April.

That being said, UM would be a great place to work and the A2 area a fabulous place to call home. DM me if you want more info.

PS: Until moving to Michigan I had lived in SC.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM

39 posts, read 95,469 times
Yes, AA is a great town...miss it. AA has a lot to offer. I often say that MI. is about 6 weeks behind NC weather/season wise but, I'm with Sandycat...don't think I could/or want to return to the long, cold winters----however, summers are heaven .

Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,569,990 times
I'm planning on moving to Michigan. Thanks for the good words regarding the Ann Arbor area. I will be moving around that area and it's nice to know they have everything I need.....I can handle to winters...I'm a winter baby!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM

826 posts, read 1,937,943 times
Hubby and I both lived in Ann Arbor for 8-9 years as students and for work then moved down to the Triangle area in 2007. We were just talking the other day about whether we missed Ann Arbor or not and concluded that we do miss Ann Arbor and the area although part of it is all the people we went to school with and worked with. I also grew up in Michigan (near Lansing) and so have a big soft spot for the state.

Pros:
- Ann Arbor is a great place to have a family and raise kids (although we didn't at the time). If you are single and moving up there, the dating scene may be a bit harder if you aren't in the undergrad/grad school age range. Great schools in Ann Arbor!
- Working for UM is quite good - good benefits (last I heard) and the campus has so much to offer. FANTASTIC music scene - Hill Auditorium and the whole University Musical Society (UMS) is so strong - you get access to amazing performances. Indie music scene thrives in places like the Blind Pig.
- We always felt like the Chapel Hill area felt most like Ann Arbor with the strong integration of the university (town/gown) and more liberal feel. I think Ann Arbor has a little more to do than Chapel Hill but overall Triangle has a bit more to do with Durham and Raleigh much closer than the Detroit suburbs.
- That said, the Detroit and the suburbs have some great stuff - if you like ethnic foods, most can be found in the burbs. Great Japanese food (Ajishin in Novi has amazing authentic sushi and noodles - always a long wait!) due to influence of Japanese auto companies. Pretty good Indian and Chinese (although better and cheaper Indian across the border in Windsor)
- Zingerman's (and all its associated spinoffs!), Ann Arbor Farmer's Market, Kerrytown, Washtenaw Dairy for old fashioned donuts and huge ice cream cones (cheaper, bigger, and better than the other local fav Stucchi's)
- Easy weekend drives to Chicago, Cleveland (spend 3 years there - yes, it's actually can be a fun city), Toronto, or up north.
- Second on the cider and doughnuts in the fall!
- Being in a state surrounded by multiple Great Lakes!
- I always liked the flat sales tax - at least you know how much to calculate for. The addition of county or city sales tax (or the prepared food tax here in NC) makes things so confusing.
- The Arboretum (the Arb) is somewhat similar to Umstead.
- Somerset Mall in Troy (45 min drive) is still one of the nicest malls I've been to.
- Canada is right across the border (although more of a pain to get to and not as cheap as before).
- Michigan Wolverine football is huge - 100,000+ people in the stadium on Saturdays in the fall. Great time to do things in town if you aren't into football but avoid before and after-game traffic! But being at a game is really cool as well.
- Southeast MI and Detroit are big into sports - all pro sports are represented there by the Tigers (baseball), Red Wings (beloved hockey team), Pistons (basketball), and our poor Lions (sad sack football team). The teams all go through up/down cycles but fans are pretty devoted.

CONS:
- Yes, Ann Arbor is more commercial than it used to be. Starbucks didn't open there until early 2000's and lots of chains have proliferated. But, there are still lots of interesting and independent stores around. And Borders started there - Store #1 is just off-campus on Liberty St.
- Winters are harder and longer. Even though I hate the heat and humidity of the summer here (this past summer was particularly brutal), the Carolina Blue skies and the milder winters are much nicer. But don't expect snow days for 2 inches of snow!
- Detroit and Michigan are going through some rough times but in general, you'll be buffered in Ann Arbor if you live there. Housing prices are relatively high in Ann Arbor (compared to the rest of Michigan) and the nicer Detroit suburbs.
- The land is very flat - not like NC. And no real mountains nearby and the beaches are not like the Outer Banks as it is lake, not ocean. But can be lots of fun just the same.
- If you are a Duke or Carolina fan, you may not be well-received - particularly in regards to basketball!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM

272 posts, read 726,021 times
I was born and raised in Michigan. Lived there for 46 years. Lived in Livonia for the last 16 of the 46. One thing I have noticed is there are far more sunny days here than in Michigan. My wife and kids are still there, so my wife and I have been comparing daily. Years ago when my wife worked for Metlife, her boss commuted weekly from New York. He asked how people in Michigan deal with so many cloudy, sunless days. This is my first winter here...and I'm unimpressed....lol. I know, it's colder than normal...just my luck. But I DO like the amount of sunshine compared to Michigan.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM

84 posts, read 159,489 times
What does the sun look like between November and March? What is it like to drive down a road without potholes?

You won't find the answers to those questions in Michigan. Unfortunately you won't hear a Big 10 score mentioned on the radio here....ever. Rich Rodriguez got a mention last week...but only because there were no local hoops games that day. You'll also have to accept that ACC is actually the best conference in football and basketball. Seriously, they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary