Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM

215 posts, read 371,042 times

Advertisements

There are a range of temperaments in every breed of dog. It just depends on the breeding.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
Why would you want to keep a big dog in an apartment? Never understood this. A fenced backyard is a minimum.
I lived in Stonehenge apartments and the grass area out front was basically a dog toilet. A no go area on foot.
If you exercise them enough it makes zero difference - and all dogs need walks/exercise. My neighbors have two tiny chihuahuas that don't get walks and they are tiny terrors (well, one of them is). Some large breeds are very sedentary as well.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
One problem with pit bulls is that their 'dog-aggression' genes kick in about 9 months of age. A puppy may be sweet, but they are totally unpredictable as adults. I have heard too many stories about pits attacking children, turning on their owners, etc, such that I don't trust any of them. It is not just discrimination against the breed, it is statistical fact that pits are responsible for a disproportionate number of attacks on humans.
That is completely absurd and factually incorrect. Feel free not to trust them but please don't state myth.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:02 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I can tell you that Carrington Apts in Brier Creek had Bully breeds when we lived there last year. They supposedly didn't allow any pet over a certain weight, but they didn't follow the rules.

They have a new manager, so things may have changed. Overall, it's was a decent enough place to live, large apartments in a great location.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
That is completely absurd and factually incorrect. Feel free not to trust them but please don't state myth.

I don't know how much first hand experience you have with this or similar breeds but a little research would reveal that most of what he said is true (I do have first hand experience). They absolutely are responsible for a disproportionate number of bites. Unlike other breeds, their bites almost always require medical attention. As far as dog aggression kicking in at 9 months he is not necessarily far off the mark. Dog behavior can change dramatically when they enter puberty! My wolf/hybrid was a great "dog" at 9 months. A few months later he was far more "wolf" and couldn't be around anyone. (by the way, don't ever get one of these)

You can control a dog's environment but you can't change his/hers genetics! I'm sure all the Pit Bull breeders are specifically breeding them for a nice, friendly temperament!!

I do agree that many large breeds are suitable for apartment life if properly exercised. Greyhounds are great examples!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,616 times
BSL makes me so angry! There are no bad dogs.....only BAD OWNERS..PERIOD!! Sorry I'll get off my box now.

Many love pitties here ( including me ) and there are many rescue groups trying to help. Thank you for raising a well mannered dog. Get the Good Citizen and maybe prove people wrong Hope you find a place !

Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Ditto for me NorasMom! I'd love to see where they read that. Work in rescue and when you see the dark side of humanity you'll understand it happens to all breeds all the time. Aggression is a result of environment. If you have never fostered or been around many dogs then don't buy the "hype" on the news.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
So humanity has a dark side yet canines can't???? Certainly environment plays a part in a dogs behavior-but it is far from the only piece of the puzzle on why any dogs acts the way it does! Anyone who would believe a dogs genetics play no part in its behavior is hopelessly naïve! You do understand that dogs have been bred for thousands of years to achieve specific characteristics and behaviors-now is that environment or genetics? What makes a hound dog a good hunter? Environment or genetics? The only bad owners statement--Oh well, I guess some people are just closed to the truth!

Here are some statistics.
Most Recent U.S. Dog Bite Statistics - Fatal and Serious Injury Statistics - DogsBite.org

Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
There's a thread over in the C-D Dog forum on this topic that provides background on dogsbite.org

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...out-pit-4.html
"Do you mean 'dogsbite.org'? the site linked by a previous poster. Yes this site is run by woman who was bitten while jogging by a dog she considered to be a 'pit bull', and has made it her mission to get back at that 'breed' through her website. It's actually a remarkable case study in how you can influence people nowadays with slanted information, via a blog, on a relatively marginal issue. It's a lot harder for one person to start a slanted blog about, eg. global warming or gay marriage and have it influence lots of people, there as so many voices on every side of issues like that. But this woman, Colleen Lynn, has gotten surprising far with her vendetta via slanted and false information, because it's what a lot of people want to hear (since they already dislike the poor/black/hispanic guy down the block with the mean looking pit bulls, etc), and there aren't a lot of other sites purporting to present such info or its counter. You have to hand it to her, in a perverse kind of way.

But link that site seriously to support the anti 'pit bull' side? no that's not credible. As you allude to, actual scientific study of the dangerous dog issue has generally concluded that the data are too unreliable to draw any strong conclusion, as in a broad and amorphous definition of 'pit bull' in the conglomeration of media stories of attacks Lynn uses as her data, but another much narrower definition in her claim that 'pit bulls' are only a small % of all dogs. The CDC also concluded that good enough data didn't exist to draw any strong conclusion about breed tendencies based on attack reports. They also noted that the breeds reported more often had changed substantially over the years, not consistent with the typical anti 'pit' statement that the problem is the result of '100's of years' of breeding. And no controlled study of dogs themselves, removed from owner factors, has ever placed 'pit bulls', whether it means APBT's or 'dog which I say look like a pit bull', high on the list of naturally human aggressive dogs. Some measurements which tend to even out the type of owner (for example dog performance on the ATTS temperament test, which only relatively responsible owners are likely to submit their dogs to) show APBT's as a less than average human aggressive breed."

Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM

it's not exclusive to pit bulls, and the poster presented it as if it was.

And, pit bulls are basically the breeds that are reported on.

Nothing that poster said is factually correct.

I've said it before here - the most friendly dog I know is a pit - the most aggressive is a chihuahua who has tried to bite me numerous times.

Recently I was walking my dog with the friendly pit and we came upon an aggressive Westie who tried to bite my friend ... his pit didn't react at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I don't know how much first hand experience you have with this or similar breeds but a little research would reveal that most of what he said is true (I do have first hand experience). They absolutely are responsible for a disproportionate number of bites. Unlike other breeds, their bites almost always require medical attention. As far as dog aggression kicking in at 9 months he is not necessarily far off the mark. Dog behavior can change dramatically when they enter puberty! My wolf/hybrid was a great "dog" at 9 months. A few months later he was far more "wolf" and couldn't be around anyone. (by the way, don't ever get one of these)

You can control a dog's environment but you can't change his/hers genetics! I'm sure all the Pit Bull breeders are specifically breeding them for a nice, friendly temperament!!

I do agree that many large breeds are suitable for apartment life if properly exercised. Greyhounds are great examples!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary