Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 PM

371 posts, read 526,764 times

Advertisements

What is the value of having a CPA in the Triangle area?

Would it help me find a job? I have been taking accounting classes .... And I want to know the value of a CPA

Is CPA worth more than an MBA in the Triangle area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
You need BOTH.

I'm saying this not only in reflection of the Raleigh area, but as a consideration you should make for your long teem career. Why? Because SOME states already require a MBA to get reciprocity on the CPA certificate. More will follow.

Get the educational requirements out of the way NOW, not late:r

Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You need BOTH.

I'm saying this not only in reflection of the Raleigh area, but as a consideration you should make for your long teem career. Why? Because SOME states already require a MBA to get reciprocity on the CPA certificate. More will follow.

Get the educational requirements out of the way NOW, not late:r
Is North Carolina one of those states?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Well, since you need 150 credits to be licensed in most states (including NC), you might as well get a MBA. I don't have one, however, and I haven't seen a need for one (and I've worked in accounting for 25+ years). My 150 credits came from a BS and a random assortment of other classes I've taken along the way.

Don't go crazy with student loans though.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Is North Carolina one of those states?
Umm, if you don't know how to look that up on the internet, I think it's a moot issue. Haven't you heard the CPA exam is one of the toughest professional exams to pass?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 17,947 times
Yes-it will get you the interview over someone who does not have the license. If you ace the interview more than likely your employer will pay a premium to get you onboard especially if you are coming from a big 4 accounting firm or have public experience. If you want to stay in Financial Reporting/Corporate Accounting role then yes CPA over MBA anyday but...

a traditional M.B.A. (non-accounting) would be needed if you want to move into the Executive Operations role in most companies or upper managment if you have a B.S. in Finance doing forecast/budgets or Analyst role.

You have to weigh the cost and what the return on investment will be since a good program is very expensive but in todays world you need to have the skill set someone else might not have. My advice is to intern to see if you like accounting and what it entails-do you like working long hours sitting in front of a computer?

As a CPA I have never been out of work during hard times and my salary affords me to help other family members who were hurting during the recession and in some cases keep them afloat until things improve(d).

Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSurfer View Post
Yes-it will get you the interview over someone who does not have the license. If you ace the interview more than likely your employer will pay a premium to get you onboard especially if you are coming from a big 4 accounting firm or have public experience. If you want to stay in Financial Reporting/Corporate Accounting role then yes CPA over MBA anyday but...

a traditional M.B.A. (non-accounting) would be needed if you want to move into the Executive Operations role in most companies or upper managment if you have a B.S. in Finance doing forecast/budgets or Analyst role.

You have to weigh the cost and what the return on investment will be since a good program is very expensive but in todays world you need to have the skill set someone else might not have. My advice is to intern to see if you like accounting and what it entails-do you like working long hours sitting in front of a computer?

As a CPA I have never been out of work during hard times and my salary affords me to help other family members who were hurting during the recession and in some cases keep them afloat until things improve(d).
That's what I am looking for, not to be laid off in tough times. I have no direct accounting experience though. I have plenty of financial/risk analysis and reporting experience. I have also invested money for clients as well as closed the accounts by pitching them.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
unless they've paid for the higher education, an employer is not going to care about designations when it comes layoff time. They're going to care about your job performance, and the ability to economically justify the position.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
unless they've paid for the higher education, an employer is not going to care about designations when it comes layoff time. They're going to care about your job performance, and the ability to economically justify the position.
But they certainly do care when they are hiring for the job. And for some jobs, a CPA is a legal requirement. In other cases, the BOD has set a requirement for a CPA or some other designation.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But they certainly do care when they are hiring for the job. And for some jobs, a CPA is a legal requirement. In other cases, the BOD has set a requirement for a CPA or some other designation.
I agree! I have a client who was an accountant when he moved here and was taking his classes for his CPA and he said he has had a much easier time getting a job and getting paid more now that he is a CPA.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary