Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 AM

30 posts, read 41,945 times

Advertisements

I pretty much answered all questions that could be asked in my the first post and in my replies. Let me state it again for anyone else who isn't understanding what my thread is asking.

ARE THERE ANY TIPS ANYTHING THAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT APPLYING FOR A HIGH CLASS HOTELS IN RALEIGH NC?

I've never been nervous before for interviews or anything , but for this yes I am. So I just wanted to know mostly from some one else who also worked at a hotel or still works at a hotel.

And thank you guys I will check out the info that was shared. Sorry i'm not quoting no ones messages. I tried but it's not working i'm new to this. Bare with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
No! Think it through...what could possible be different?

I'm thinking that you should be able to handle responses to what was initially a vague question with a little more patience if you plan to deal with the general public more than you're doing now. You'll notice that people actually analyze the scenario in whole to better assist. They can then provide reasonable responses.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
^Yup.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMarshall05 View Post
Ok first off let me stop any one else who wants to make a comment about my bubbly personality. All in all yes I will always have this high energy personality BUT I do know how to act and carry myself in any situation. I not only have two certificates in hospitality, I also worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Corporation. I know all the ins and outs of working for luxury hotels. Also i have been managers at my previous sales jobs, I was an account executive, and a business to business manager as well. I have plenty leadership experience and experience working with people face to face on a daily basis.

My main reason for this thread was to see if things are really that different with getting a job In the south compared to the big cities upnorth. I'm from the North, every job I ever applied for I got it. But I have never been nervous about getting a job is why i seek advice on anything other then common sense on how to get a job at these hotels in north Carolina
First off, I would recommend you lose the attitude. Asking for advice and then telling people you don't want any common sense advice or any comments about your decision or your bubbly personality just doesn't cut it when you are working with guests who fly in on private jets.

Starwood Hotels are wonderful but they are Sheratons, Aloft, $150 - $300/night hotels. The people who pay $600+/night do not put up with attitude. Period. I've worked with wealthy people. I don't know as I'd refer to them as "high class," but I can tell you for a fact they don't put up with attitude.

Getting a job in the south is not much different from the "big cities upnorth." It's who you know. Across the country, 70% report that they got their current job because someone told them about it. I'm wondering if that's what you're actually looking for here. Someone who will DM, "I'm the Umstead General Manager and I'd be delighted to have you on our staff."

Gosh, with your two hospitality certificates, and knowing all the "ins and outs of working for luxury hotels" I'm sure you'll land a great job in no time.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
I pretty much answered all questions that could be asked in my the first post and in my replies. Let me state it again for anyone else who isn't understanding what my thread is asking.

ARE THERE ANY TIPS ANYTHING THAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT APPLYING FOR A HIGH CLASS HOTELS IN RALEIGH NC?

I've never been nervous before for interviews or anything , but for this yes I am. So I just wanted to know mostly from some one else who also worked at a hotel or still works at a hotel.

And thank you guys I will check out the info that was shared. Sorry i'm not quoting no ones messages. I tried but it's not working i'm new to this. Bare with me
On second thought...

Good grammar on your resume, along with that glowing recommendation that was already mentioned...

But, that's true essentially everywhere, isn't it?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
No,there is nothing different. If you are qualified and prepared to apply for jobs up north you will be just as prepared here. The only tip I would give is a general suggestion to not talk about things in terms of "up north" vs "down south". Although it may not be intentional, it can come off as divisive. I say this as a NJ transplant who moved to Raleigh 8+ years ago.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Hello theS5
I actually don't believe I know any one that knows people from this field of work in Raleigh. I can ask around maybe my managers from Starwood can connect me to the branches that's in raleigh. Will a reference from my other managers, at other jobs I had work?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 AM

Sorry if I sound as if I had an attitude, but I really didn't. Also be mindful of how you speak to me i'm not an ameture so I would appreciate if we all talk like adults. Getting offended is not what should be happening on my thread. I'm respectful to everyone. Anyways I have worked with wealthy people as well. Like I said I do know how to handle myself. My clients all loved me. I can be a bit of people pleaser when it comes to my jobs.
Gosh i wish i knew how to properly respond to everyones replies seperately. I will try to answer as much as I can.

Yes meh_ whatever I do have a great professional resume

Ok and it seems the main tip is to have good references in this line of work right guys? That's what i'm seeing a lot of replies say

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Hello theS5
I actually don't believe I know any one that knows people from this field of work in Raleigh. I can ask around maybe my managers from Starwood can connect me to the branches that's in raleigh. Will a reference from my other managers, at other jobs I had work?
References from other managers would be a requirement, but its not getting you an interview.

I'm not saying that you will not get an interview without knowing someone, just that most higher paying jobs come from direct recommendations.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM

At North_Raleigh_Guy..
Ok I understand where you're coming from I won't talk about things in terms of "up north" vs "down south"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary