Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 PM

30 posts, read 41,945 times

Advertisements

I want to work at a high profile 5star or any luxury hotel close to 5star ratings when I move to Raleigh. This is my choice what I will apply for first. Then if I can not get the ones I want I will open up to applying at other locations. So please no negative comments about my decisions. I'm certified in the hospitality field and would like to work at a hotel with a fast pace exciting environment. High class guest and new experiences everyday. I'm to much of a bubbly person to work at a dull slow boring hotel.

My main question is are there any special secrets to getting hired at one of these High profile hotels in the heart of Raleigh?
Does anyone have experience working for these types of hotels, how did you get the job or was the hiring process a long hard one?

I'm in my mid 20s ..will age benefit me or make me not seem experienced enough for these types of hotels?.

I feel a bit nervous only because I am very excited to start this new career and I just want to get the jobs I go for.
I really don't want to settle for whatever I can get.

Please any one with some useful information please share.

Thank you

Last edited by MrsMarshall05; 08-18-2013 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
By international standards there is no 5-star luxury hotel in Raleigh. The Umstead in Cary, the Fearrington House near Pittsboro, and maybe the Washington Duke Inn in Durham and the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill would qualify.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
What position(s) are you aiming for?

What experience do you have in the hospitality industry?

What experience do you have caring for "high class guests?"

Your hospitality certificate indicates that you are serious about your career choice. What else do you have going for you? Are you well-groomed and well-spoken? Do you have the "spirit of hospitality," a genuine desire to help people feel welcome and comfortable?

Do you have references who will attest to your willingness to go above and beyond in caring for guests? What does your resume look like? Does it highlight your competence, your hospitality experience?

People who shell out $300 - $600 to stay the night expect that you will bend over backwards to meet their needs. If the restaurant requires shoes and they're wearing sandals, you'll be standing in your stocking feet with a "it's my pleasure" on your lips before you know it. Do you notice the little things? Are you able to remember and refer to guests by name so that they feel at home, think of your hotel next time they come to town?

A fast google search came up with three 5-star and four 4-star luxury hotels in the area, though none in Raleigh. I checked the career tab of a couple and they had openings -- housekeeping, barista, spa hostess...

The 7 Best Luxury Hotels in Raleigh, NC : Five Star Alliance

I would encourage you to focus on what the hotel needs and how you might meet their needs. What is the culture of each hotel?

I would also encourage you to not mention your bubbly personality, wanting to avoid a boring job, or your desire to be around high class people.

Working in hospitality involves tedious, repetitive tasks. No way around that when one is performing the exact same tasks over and over for several hundred guests a week.

Your bubbly personality might not be viewed as a plus. When folks check in, they're not looking for bubbly, they're looking for friendly, calm competence. Ditto dept. managers.

The secret to getting hired is convincing employers you can do the job they need done, that you'll show up on time to do it, that you will look presentable, and that you won't be a ton of trouble.

Good luck.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-19-2013 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
If your goal is a career working in high end hospitality, I would encourage you consider all entry level positions. The more you know about all the jobs involved in operating a hotel, the better qualified you will be as you move up the ladder.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
If you do not have any previous experience working in 5-star hotels, you should any job you can get at one.

I agree with the previous poster re: bubbly personality

People who interface with the public at 5-star hotels generally don't "bubble". They smile warmly, listen intently, and are very efficient and courteous.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 AM

9 posts, read 11,735 times
Hopefully someone will get it pretty soon.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Wink I'm not new to this i have experience !!

Ok first off let me stop any one else who wants to make a comment about my bubbly personality. All in all yes I will always have this high energy personality BUT I do know how to act and carry myself in any situation. I not only have two certificates in hospitality, I also worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Corporation. I know all the ins and outs of working for luxury hotels. Also i have been managers at my previous sales jobs, I was an account executive, and a business to business manager as well. I have plenty leadership experience and experience working with people face to face on a daily basis.

My main reason for this thread was to see if things are really that different with getting a job In the south compared to the big cities upnorth. I'm from the North, every job I ever applied for I got it. But I have never been nervous about getting a job is why i seek advice on anything other then common sense on how to get a job at these hotels in north Carolina

Thank you to everyone who replied so far I appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Why did your other post say you were starting a new career, then? If you have prior experience working for Starwood and know all the ins and outs of the luxury hotel industry, why make a post that sounded like you were freshly graduated with a hospitality certificate?

That's what confused me. Just go see if any of the nicer hotels mentioned here have openings doing whatever you did for Starwood. Sounds like you have plenty of education and experience. I haven't seen anything particularly exceptional or unusual about the staff at any of those hotels. The Umstead is near my house so I have more experience with that one. Nice suites. I like Herons. And their spa staff are top notch.

Nothing around here is going to be similar to, say, The Four Seasons. I practically lived in the one in Philly a few years ago. Heavy travel year at work. They pull top notch for pretty much every position on their staff.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM

Well to me it is a new career. I've mostly worked in sales and marketing. I recently started working for hotels in 2012. This big move i'm making to the south is a BIG deal. I could easily get any other sales job i want but i'm choosing to go with hospitality, not to just have a "job" but a career. So it is a new career. Just working some where doesn't make it a career. Working at Starwood was a "job" . This will be seen in a different way when I start new.
Thank you

Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMarshall05 View Post
Ok first off let me stop any one else who wants to make a comment about my bubbly personality. All in all yes I will always have this high energy personality BUT I do know how to act and carry myself in any situation. I not only have two certificates in hospitality, I also worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Corporation. I know all the ins and outs of working for luxury hotels. Also i have been managers at my previous sales jobs, I was an account executive, and a business to business manager as well. I have plenty leadership experience and experience working with people face to face on a daily basis.

My main reason for this thread was to see if things are really that different with getting a job In the south compared to the big cities upnorth. I'm from the North, every job I ever applied for I got it. But I have never been nervous about getting a job is why i seek advice on anything other then common sense on how to get a job at these hotels in north Carolina

Thank you to everyone who replied so far I appreciate it.
Frankly, the best way for you to secure a position is by reference. If you have a manager from a previous position that knows someone at a Triangle high end hotel and will give you a glowing recommendation, your chances go up exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary