Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:07 AM

551 posts, read 1,877,086 times

Advertisements

Holidays are a depressing time for many, many, people. We have this Norman Rockwell picture of the happy family in our minds when in reality, even when we are home with our families, a lot of real things fall short. It could be a low-paying job when others are thriving, a child failing in school, a drunken uncle, a person who has died, the revival of childhood quarrels, etc. etc. etc. It is different in different families, but it is always stressful. And Christmas -- the expectations can be so much higher than the budget and the religious significance lost in stores playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving.
I'm not trying to be a downer here, just to say that holidays can bring on depression and it is common and not only for people who have just moved.
So Betty Boop -- call your family. A nice long telephone call and talk to everyone. Get out and walk and enjoy the sunshine, the feeling of walking will help. Tell yourself, this will pass, this will get better. Because it will. Another year, maybe next or later, you can go up and visit. And, perhaps you will be happy to be there. Or, just maybe, you will think "I am building a better life." As you walk today, reflect on the positive reasons you had for moving. I'm sure you had some good ones. It takes a while to feel at home in a new place but stay strong and it will happen. And Happy Thanksgiving! -- I hope your day turns out better than you expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 AM

5,746 posts, read 17,618,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop108 View Post
Are any other recent transplants feeling as blue as me? Today's 70+ degree weather was nice and all......but as someone who's lived up North all of her life (before moving to NC this summer), it just didn't seem like the day before Thanksgiving.
I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I moved from Pittsburgh PA to Dallas TX. I was all by myself, just graduated from college 6 months earlier, and hadn't made that many friends. I probably spent my Thanksgiving in front of the TV eating a TV dinner. Christmas was rather boring too. Although the weather was so nice that I actually went out and played a round of golf in shorts and sandals

That first holiday season made me realize that I was looking at the glass as half empty. I took the next year and made lots of new friends, found new activities and places to go, etc. Haven't looked back since.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,107,698 times
I can understand how you feel. You're not alone. All my family is in PA and we usually try to get together during the holidays. This year we won't be able to do that. Fortunately, the neighbors opened their house to us. We will be going there for Thanksgiving later. Then, we are going shopping to get into the Christmas spirit. Keep your chin up and get out and do something, it will make you feel better. Hopefully, the next holiday you can drive up. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,819,644 times
I'd like to suggest with nothing but good intentions and wishes to you that until you stop thinking of where you came from as "back home" it will be difficult to get comfortable here, not only on Holidays but in general.

Home is what and where you make it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,773 times
This was our first T-giving away from home too. I always cook, and I did this year too....but for 3, not 15.I have to admit...it was MUCH less stressful. As for the weather, I'm from S. Jersey and some years it was in the high 60's, low 70's Thanksgiving Day...so that part was not much different. We had T-dinner on our deck here outside.... MUCH prettier "atmosphere" than my dining room back in Jersey.(we are out in the country-side in Johnston County..the trees are GORGEOUS right now)

We talked to the family on T-giving morning(most went out to dinner back home), and we went to a neighbor's house across the street for dessert T-giving night to watch football.

We'll spend our first Christmas here too this year....going back to Jersey for a week the day after Christmas. Again, I'm actually looking forward to a more low-key Christmas...and creating new traditions for my husband and daughter here. We're looking to go out to dinner on Christmas Eve to a nice, low-key restaurant...and will cook a ham T-giving Day here at home(usually are at the in-laws back home...so its always a "rushed" morning on Christmas Day to get out)..so it will be nice for a change to stay in our jammies all day. We'll head North the day after Christmas and will have 1 or 2 MORE Christmas' once we get back home. I'm looking forward to it actually...it will "extend" Christmas until the New Year.

Its what you make of it....and be willing to create new traditions in your new home here in N.C. I'm sure it will be better next year for you.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop108 View Post
Are any other recent transplants feeling as blue as me? Today's 70+ degree weather was nice and all......but as someone who's lived up North all of her life (before moving to NC this summer), it just didn't seem like the day before Thanksgiving.

We moved to NC for a myriad of reasons, nicer weather being one of them......but I can't believe I actually miss the cold weather (at least for the holidays).

The weather aside, this being my first Thanksgiving away from "home" is adding to my sadness. I keep thinking of what my family must being doing back home, getting ready for Turkey Day.....and all of them getting ready to spend tomorrow together.

This is hard. I'm not sure if writing this is making feel better or worse....

Why not make the most of it!! Life is what you make it.

I have to say there are alot of people in a lot worse situations.

My husband is overseas in the war and we have NO family here just my 4 yr old and myself. We went to a soup kitchen on thanksgiving and dished out food to others who really have nothing. So instead of us sitting at home crying and upset because of him not being here we went out helped others and were distracted from our troubles. I'm by no means trying to get anyone to feel sorry for me I'm simply saying that... why not remember others who
could really use some help.

Good luck in your adjustment and just start enjoying your new life. As long as your family is w/you and healthy that's the most important thing of all!!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
Default Hi from Barbara

Sorry you are feeling sad. I also have a hard time during the holidays. I am originally from Scotland, but live in FL ( long story!) and between it being too warm around this time of the year and missing my family there, it is rough. This Christmas I will leave all 4 of my children here to go visit my sick Mom in Scotland. Torn, always.

Last edited by beautycastvixen; 11-25-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 11-26-2007, 03:41 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,505,243 times
your all going to make me cry now. i was trying to be so positive!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,348,763 times
Thumbs up Tri-angle of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
your all going to make me cry now. i was trying to be so positive!
Oh no find ing hope....no crying in the triangle unless your square or an obtuse triangle of sorts! Sometimes the round ones may cry too!

But here in the triangle we always have an angle on fun! ENJOY the holidays with and without the geometry of the season!!!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:55 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,505,243 times
geometry jokes--cute....thanks for helping me cheer up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary