Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 PM

85 posts, read 311,617 times

Advertisements

Are any other recent transplants feeling as blue as me? Today's 70+ degree weather was nice and all......but as someone who's lived up North all of her life (before moving to NC this summer), it just didn't seem like the day before Thanksgiving.

We moved to NC for a myriad of reasons, nicer weather being one of them......but I can't believe I actually miss the cold weather (at least for the holidays).

The weather aside, this being my first Thanksgiving away from "home" is adding to my sadness. I keep thinking of what my family must being doing back home, getting ready for Turkey Day.....and all of them getting ready to spend tomorrow together.

This is hard. I'm not sure if writing this is making feel better or worse....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop108 View Post
Are any other recent transplants feeling as blue as me? Today's 70+ degree weather was nice and all......but as someone who's lived up North all of her life (before moving to NC this summer), it just didn't seem like the day before Thanksgiving.

We moved to NC for a myriad of reasons, nicer weather being one of them......but I can't believe I actually miss the cold weather (at least for the holidays).

The weather aside, this being my first Thanksgiving away from "home" is adding to my sadness. I keep thinking of what my family must being doing back home, getting ready for Turkey Day.....and all of them getting ready to spend tomorrow together.

This is hard. I'm not sure if writing this is making feel better or worse....
You are making yourself miserable. It's one thing to be a bit homesick for family and miss them...but you are going to be upset because the weather is beautiful....well......you are just looking to make yourself feel bad.

This is NC....not where you came from....this is the weather. Make new traditions....take a walk through Umstead or the parks near you.....get outside after the feast instead of taking a nap by the fire.

It doesn't make your memories of Thanksgiving pasts any less if you move forward and add to them with the new.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,777 times
I understand your feelings - I've always lived in the north, as well, and this doesn't FEEL like Thanksgiving. BUT - - enjoy it! As much as I love the snow (the FIRST day of it), I got a bit of a thrill out of today's weather, knowing that it's snowing at home! Make some new traditions, incorporate old ones into your new southern life. Make it work! I'm going to dinner at a (new) friend's home with her family -- this will be the first time in my LIFE that I'm not going to something with MY family. Feels a bit awkward, but like I said, it's exciting, too, to learn some new stuff.

Have a great holiday!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
If you don't have family/friends to spend the day with I'd bet that donating your time at a shelter/soup kitchen would lift your spirits, if just to not be alone and to help others - just seeing how you're are making someone's day. (Sorry I can't say anything nice about your not liking the temps. - loving it here)

Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
I understand your feelings - I've always lived in the north, as well, and this doesn't FEEL like Thanksgiving. BUT - - enjoy it! As much as I love the snow (the FIRST day of it), I got a bit of a thrill out of today's weather, knowing that it's snowing at home! Make some new traditions, incorporate old ones into your new southern life. Make it work! I'm going to dinner at a (new) friend's home with her family -- this will be the first time in my LIFE that I'm not going to something with MY family. Feels a bit awkward, but like I said, it's exciting, too, to learn some new stuff.

Have a great holiday!
That's the ticket!

I took a walk through Yates Mill Pond Park Today after work. The nice breeze and all the fall colors really set the mood. Sure feels like Thanksgiving to me now!!

For Christmas, I plan on swinging by the Angus Barn during the Month of December. Checking out their decorations and christmas tree while enjoying a glass of red wine by the fire in the upstairs "Wild Turkey Lounge" always gets me in the Holiday Spirit!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Why not hop in the car and drive up?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
dont feel sad, if you feel sad now, what will happen for the rest of the holiday season? i for one am happy i dont have to go through all the usual protocal that i usually have to go through during this season...all the things that made me feel stressed and preasured. i am happy for you that you have nice memories---i am ready to make new and different ones myself--and new traditions

Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
Betty with a screen name like that you can't be down, it snot allowed! Sure its tough around the holiday's but start your own tradition here. There must be something or someone that can get you through this. As the other posters wrote try driving somewhere and experience the area. The weather today was awesome. Missing home is natural especially during the holiday's. Hang in there it will get better I'm sure.

We took a walk around Falls lake and it was just beautiful. Actually not around the whole lake, that didn't come out right. Actually seen a snake swimming along the shore. Could of done without that experience but still had a nice relaxing time.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I'm sure it will all work out for you! gobble gobble...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times
Hi there and Happy Thanksgiving to ya! Sometimes it just helps to write (or type) what your feeling. Most of the responses you got were sincere and supportive and that also can help. We are trying to get out of NJ and move to NC and although I know it will be a big adjustment, and am so looking forward to it! We are actually going to have temps in the 60's tomorrow and I'm looking forward to that! Hang in there, things will get better, I'm sure, and try to think of all the reasons why you left and decided on NC in the first place. Good luck! Jeannie

Old 11-22-2007, 04:48 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
Hey Betty
Nothing much I can add but I think the advice of focusing on something outside of yourself is always the best advice when you're feeling sad. This year for Christmas we told our family basically we're not sending gifts ("do my nieces and nephews really need another frickin' gift card?") so we're going to Crabtree Mall (beginning the 23rd) and picking a name from the "Angel Tree" and giving to a child that has a parent in prison; it's things like this that can change your focus and you'll feel really good. We're "holiday orphans" but in a way relieved that we can do what we want (going to the gym/going to a movie today)
so hope you feel a little encouraged. It's THANKSgiving so I know you have a lot to be thankful for this year - focus on that. Take Care.

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 11-22-2007 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary