Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2020, 12:17 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times

Advertisements

I've long been the minority in that I don't like negativity that goes on here, whoever the target. When I was a new transplant, I didn't enjoy those conversations either. I've never found this forum to be welcoming in that way.

There are standout trolls and standout nice people. I've learned to focus on the nice ones and disregard the rest. I don't feed the people who I think are trolls and generally stay far away from the arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 05:51 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Don't forget how much he loved transplants.
Lol...

Old 10-21-2020, 08:43 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I've long been the minority in that I don't like negativity that goes on here,
You're not in the minority. Also when I joined I got off to an unjustified rough start. It got better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Don't forget how much he loved transplants.
..such as himself...

Old 10-22-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
You're not in the minority. Also when I joined I got off to an unjustified rough start. It got better.

..such as himself...

If you feel that way, why do you want him back?

I do think the amount of threads dedicated to transplant discussions have decreased over time. Although, now that I said that...

Old 10-22-2020, 08:04 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
If you feel that way, why do you want him back?

I do think the amount of threads dedicated to transplant discussions have decreased over time. Although, now that I said that...
Fair question, and you kinda had to be there, but I and apparently some others found some nuggets of value in his curmudgeonly character. He brought a kind of color and balance to the forum that was either unintentionally or intentionally entertaining. A outlier with a mix of Archie Bunker, Oscar Madison, and Eeyore.

Having said that, his constant harping on transplants, or more to my memory, about this place is going to hell for that and other reasons, was indeed OTT and quite tiresome.

I do seem to remember agreeing with some of his stuff when it wasn't being overblown. But he was harmless, there have been much more troll-y characters. Kinda like Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Fair question, and you kinda had to be there, but I and apparently some others found some nuggets of value in his curmudgeonly character. He brought a kind of color and balance to the forum that was either unintentionally or intentionally entertaining. A outlier with a mix of Archie Bunker, Oscar Madison, and Eeyore.

Having said that, his constant harping on transplants, or more to my memory, about this place is going to hell for that and other reasons, was indeed OTT and quite tiresome.

I do seem to remember agreeing with some of his stuff when it wasn't being overblown. But he was harmless, there have been much more troll-y characters. Kinda like Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Fair enough, thank you for explaining

My issue with trollish people is that the real opinion or thought process is overshadowed by the bad behavior. So much, that it's not worth digging through it for some kind of value (for me).

I forget who it was but someone here admitted to stirring the pot to incite a disagreement. For fun, entertainment. I refuse to be baited like that.

That said... TGIF

Old 10-23-2020, 06:25 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Does anyone here remember George the snake that used to be at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences way back in the day?

When I was at the museum recently (yay for reopening!) with my son, we wandered into the gift shop which we normally don't bother with, and they had the old paperback book about her (yes he was a she ), A Snake Called George, for a $1.00. It brought back some good memories of grade school field trips. George was the highlight back then.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:43 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
It would have been the highlight of field trips for me, too. I haven't been here long enough to know George but my fourth grade teacher had a snake in the classroom that was always a big hit with us. Some of my best memories of grade school come from field trips. Let's hear it for hands on learning. Maybe field trips, research afterward and a write up could be substituted some days when the kids need a break from the VA learning...

Old 10-23-2020, 11:59 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Does anyone here remember George the snake that used to be at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences way back in the day?

When I was at the museum recently (yay for reopening!) with my son, we wandered into the gift shop which we normally don't bother with, and they had the old paperback book about her (yes he was a she ), A Snake Called George, for a $1.00. It brought back some good memories of grade school field trips. George was the highlight back then.
George was before my time; looks like she passed away the year I was born...

But for me the highlight of Elementary School field trips to NC Museum of Natural Science was for sure the "roller-coaster" experience of the bus going up and down on the slopes of Wade Ave headed to downtown. We all raised our arms up and cheered with encouragement of the driver and teachers/chaperones.

I may or may not have encouraged the same thing a couple decades later when I was the director and occasional bus driver for youth program fieldtrips to the museums and had quite the nostalgic throwback in doing so.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I sure do remember him. I knew the old museum like the back of my hand. I spent most Saturday’s downtown growing up in Raleigh. We always went to the museum of natural sciences late in the afternoon just before going home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary