Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,629 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum. My fiancé and I, are thinking of moving to North Carolina from New York. I am wondering if anyone can help with letting me know of good areas to move. I am looking for a house with like 2-5 acres of land and possibly on a lake or a river. If anyone knows of a place I can look please let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDags View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum. My fiancé and I, are thinking of moving to North Carolina from New York. I am wondering if anyone can help with letting me know of good areas to move. I am looking for a house with like 2-5 acres of land and possibly on a lake or a river. If anyone knows of a place I can look please let me know. Thanks.
No offense, but this is about the 4th post in a row I've seen where someone from NY is saying "Hi, I'm moving to NC, can you tell me where to live?"

It's a large, diverse state, varying from mountains to beaches, cities, to rural areas, liberal to conservative. Nobody can possibly tell you where YOU should move to until you check out areas, take notes on what you like and what you don't, then report back with "Well, I liked these places; what to you think of them?"

Do you have a job in NC? That would certainly narrow down your location prospects. If you don't have one, why are you thinking of moving here? Unemployment is very high and the Republican state govt is cutting lots of benefits for the unemployed.

If you aren't coming here for a job and don't know much about the area, why have you picked NC over other places? I hope you're not basing your info just on magazine articles and "best of..." lists, which have their own agenda.

Plan a trip down to scout the area, then find a job in one of the places that appeals to you. Those who just "up and move" because someone told them NC is a good state and didn't do careful firsthand research are often the ones who hate it and end up moving back where they came from.

Can you expand on your reasons for moving here and whether you will have (or need) a job?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM

I am a draftsman so I can work from home that doesn't matter, my fiancé is a teacher and a health and wellness coach. I have been visiting mertile beach for several years now and I like it down there, I want to be close to an active city with lots of things to do but I prefer to live outside of the city, I want to find a place on a lake or river as I said previously. I was asking more to figure out what places have big lakes and nice size properties, I hate houses that are all crammed next to each other where you can see all up in your neighbors home. I'm not taking anything out of a magazine! Im a lot smarter than that. I was just asking about towns and things like that, I'm not asking for anyone to tell me where to live just suggestions of towns or counties that I could research, I'm not really sure how it works down there I feel its more like neighborhoods, because most places around Raleigh have the same zip code.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I'm not sure of the exact number, but I'm guessing Raleigh alone has around 20+ zip codes. Cary has 5 that I can think of off the top of my head.

Point being, there are quite a few zip codes here.

What we do lack would be large lakes in the Triangle. Or a large river.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 PM

Oh my girls friend lives down there and she was saying they didn't have many zip codes at all. That's why Im on here now to find out a little more info on everything and anything I can. So should I be looking on the coast or just outside the triangle are, I was considering looking around the charlotte area as well. Any info would help. We are planning a trip down around end of march to mid april. I just want to have an idea where to start my adventure of searching.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
If you want a home on a large lake, NC really doesn't have any. You could head closer to the mountains to someplace like Lake Lure (where they shot Dirty Dancing) or you could head toward the coast and maybe find something on the Pamlico River (Bath/Belhaven areas). Neither will be quick access to a larger city, really. If you like Myrtle Beach, maybe living near the ocean would suit you?

The acreage plus large lake/river plus near a city type setup will be hard to find here.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info I will look into it in the morning, I'm exhausted and staring at this computer screen is giving me a headache. Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
The largest lakes in North Carolina, including Kerr, Gaston and Hickory are well outside the Triangle in somewhat rural areas.

I'd suggest doing some pricing of properties with parcels of 2-5 acres in a source like this: Lake Lure Homes for Sale | Lake Lure NC | Homes & Land® I doubt you will find anything affordable that is near a large city.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDags View Post
. So should I be looking on the coast or just outside the triangle are, I was considering looking around the charlotte area as well. Any info would help. We are planning a trip down around end of march to mid april. I just want to have an idea where to start my adventure of searching.
You have mentioned three very different areas. With the coast, you have a chance of finding an affordable house on 2-5 acres on a river where your girl-friend has a chance of finding a job. For example, a ways outside Wilmington on the Cape Fear, or outside Morehead City on the Neuse.

Charlotte has the large Lake Norman, but you are in millionaire territory to afford a place on the lake. You would have to go out to the boonies to find 2-5 acres at an affordable price, for example near Badin Lake in the Uwharrie National Forest.

The Triangle has Lake Jordan for visiting and putting a boat in, etc. You can't own land on it. You will also be far outside the cities to find 2-5 acres that's affordable.

But, as others have said, if you like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, why not start looking there? The taxes are generally cheaper than in North Carolina.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-21-2014 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM

19 posts, read 19,397 times
Lake Norman is a large lake just north of Charlotte. You could check that out. It is further west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary