Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Did you see this one in Carrboro? It's really cute — not for sale —*but really very nice.

Tiny House Blog , Archive Bethany's Tumbleweed Harbinger
Knock Knock: The Triangle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Did you see this one in Carrboro? It's really cute — not for sale —*but really very nice.

Thanks Poppydog for posting something positive and showing how beautiful a small house can be and definitely not an eyesore to the neighborhood

Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Thanks Poppydog for posting something positive and showing how beautiful a small house can be and definitely not an eyesore to the neighborhood
I assume this means you think I was just being negative? If so, you missed my point.

A swiss chalet style house can be beautiful. A Spanish stucco style house can be beautiful. A log cabin can be beautiful.

But if you put any of those in a neighborhood where they are architecturally out of sync with everything else going on in the neighborhood, you've probably cost a lot of people a lot of money, and made a hell of a lot of enemies, and the cumulative effect is just plain ugly. This is not my opinion. Ask any real estate professional for the facts about homes that are "unique" to their surroundings.

I wasn't debating the beauty of individual homes in the eye of the individual homeowner. My position is that those who want these homes do not have a right to crap on other folks' investment by putting them where they would be out of place or undesirable by the other members of that community.

Do you disagree? You seem to want me to "open my mind" in such a way that really means change my mind about this position, to which I will say no thanks.

I fully support the right of folks to make dedicated communities for these if there's demand to do so. I don't support someone entitling themselves to devalue someone else's property.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:

Wow, that's gorgeous! I love those little Tumbleweed houses. I always say I can make it work, then I look around my house and think of how I feel like I need more storage. But I guess it's all in how you downsize and arrange things.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
Can anyone tell me what's the point in making a house that's inordinately narrow in width if you're just ultimately going to extend the length? He who owns the most snake-like home wins? Is it a hipster thing to say "got one of these" just because its different?
I don't believe it's a contest or anything about being hip. It's all about individuality if that's the right word

Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
I wasn't debating the beauty of individual homes in the eye of the individual homeowner. My position is that those who want these homes do not have a right to crap on other folks' investment by putting them where they would be out of place or undesirable by the other members of that community.
I think if they're not in a HOA, they have the right to do whatever they want with their property. If you want to control what other people do with their property a HOA is probably the right place for you.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM

Personally I really like a neighborhood with a bunch of different styles. Throw in a mill house, a swiss chalet, an A-frame, a log cabin, a mid-century mod, a tiny house and it sounds like my kinda place. I love funky individuality.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Personally I really like a neighborhood with a bunch of different styles. Throw in a mill house and a swiss chalet and an A-frame and a log cabin and a tiny house. Sounds like my kinda place.
Sounds like my kind of place too seeing how I grew up in a little hand built log house in Raleigh.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I think if they're not in a HOA, they have the right to do whatever they want with their property. If you want to control what other people do with their property a HOA is probably the right place for you.
Well I don't disagree, but it's been said that a HOA covenant is really just a last-resort defense against the stupidly inconsiderate. In other words if you're in a neighborhood full of log cabins, you have to know that building a Spanish stucco is going to devalue your own property as well as those around it.

But I agree with you in one way -- a HOA is something that the purchaser either signs up for or they don't at the time they buy the property, weighing the benefits and the risks. So, if they end up in a property without a covenant, and someone does something that devalues the neighborhood, then technically they agreed to that risk ahead of time.

However, sometimes even an HOA cannot prevent stupid. Look at the "Neighbor Issues" thread and the story of the ladder for proof of that.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Personally I really like a neighborhood with a bunch of different styles. Throw in a mill house, a swiss chalet, an A-frame, a log cabin, a mid-century mod, a tiny house and it sounds like my kinda place. I love funky individuality.
Those neighborhoods can be nice if they are consistently funky and individualistic and if luck has been on the side of the community with regard to building choices. But if Justin Beiber moved in next door, and wanted to build a home that was shaped like a large hairy phallus, do you still support that level of individualism or should someone at some point care about common sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary