Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,928,856 times

Advertisements

Google Fiber exec to keynote gigabit conference in Raleigh :: The Skinny at WRAL TechWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 AM

43,368 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
How do you know where? I live in Cary but can't even get uverse, so I don't get too optimistic about these things. Not to mention cell reception sucks in NorthWest Cary too.
It ain't a high tech approach... I just pull over and ask the guys who they are working for and what they are pulling. They are always willing to talk.
Yesterday it was on James Jackson.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
But, what part of Time Warner? Time Warner Telecom actually runs fiber all over the place for various businesses and even cell towers and other uses. ITs an entirely separate company from Time Warner Cable.

AS far as I am concerned, the more fiber, the merrier. Even if Google is a year - 18 months away, its probably sooner than AT&T, which I think is lying/carefully wording their info on the NC Next Gen network. If TWC comes in with something faster before then all the better. But an announcement to Google will keep their feet to the fire.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
But, what part of Time Warner? Time Warner Telecom actually runs fiber all over the place for various businesses and even cell towers and other uses. ITs an entirely separate company from Time Warner Cable.

AS far as I am concerned, the more fiber, the merrier. Even if Google is a year - 18 months away, its probably sooner than AT&T, which I think is lying/carefully wording their info on the NC Next Gen network. If TWC comes in with something faster before then all the better. But an announcement to Google will keep their feet to the fire.
The guys on James Jackson told me if was for 100MBPS+ internet service.
Of course, that particular area is O/I, but I'm not aware of any new construction there that requires additional service. So, build the network!

I have 10/1 TWC service in my office there, and the cost to upgrade to something better was astounding. So, bring on the competition!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Of course, that particular area is O/I, but I'm not aware of any new construction there that requires additional service. So, build the network!

I have 10/1 TWC service in my office there, and the cost to upgrade to something better was astounding. So, bring on the competition!
Yeah, the "guys from CenturyLink" told me we'd be getting 100MBps here. Have yet to see it. "Guys from RST" claimed fiber by summer. Still not here. "Guys from Time Warner" said doubling of speeds by summer or fall. Has it happened yet?

No more "guys told me this" for me. Proof is in the pudding.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Yeah, the "guys from CenturyLink" told me we'd be getting 100MBps here. Have yet to see it. "Guys from RST" claimed fiber by summer. Still not here. "Guys from Time Warner" said doubling of speeds by summer or fall. Has it happened yet?

No more "guys told me this" for me. Proof is in the pudding.
LOL
Fair enough.
But, up there in the hinterlands is not the same as being in the Holy Grail of Cary.

I remember when the guys at the cell tower told me that Sprint was upgrading their network "real soon."
A guy could die of thirst...

Old 12-03-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
LOL
Fair enough.
But, up there in the hinterlands is not the same as being in the Holy Grail of Cary.

I remember when the guys at the cell tower told me that Sprint was upgrading their network "real soon."
A guy could die of thirst...
You can keep Cary all for yourself. I'm very happy not being able to touch my neighbors' houses from my windows! LOL (joking - before I get creamed!)

And yes, we in the arctic circle do feel the pain with lack of options sometimes, but it's a lot better than it was when we first moved here back in the <gasp> 1990s.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
You can keep Cary all for yourself.
150,000 of my closest neighbors all want a slice, so too late for that.

Quote:
I'm very happy not being able to touch my neighbors' houses from my windows! LOL (joking - before I get creamed!)
It sure makes it convenient when I am out of Grey Poupon, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5EZwanClY

Quote:
And yes, we in the arctic circle do feel the pain with lack of options sometimes, but it's a lot better than it was when we first moved here back in the <gasp> 1990s.
Y'all have indoor plumbing now, right?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Y'all have indoor plumbing now, right?
The guy from the fancy city office tells me it's 'a comin soon.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:39 PM

96 posts, read 147,410 times
Quote:

This is likely related to the MAXX upgrades TWC will be rolling out in 2015. The new residential service tiers you will be upgraded to for free (I don't know about business level service though):

50/5 -> 300/20
30/5 -> 200/20
20/2 -> 100/10
15/1 -> 50/5
3/1 -> 10/1
2/1 -> 3/1

They've already rolled it out in NYC and LA and the Triangle is one of the markets where it will happen in 2015 (along with Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Hawaii, KC, San Antonio and San Diego). It's not gigabit for $70, but it will be available to any residence TWC already services and it will be the first big upgrade available for 99% of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary