Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:01 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times

Advertisements

I too am glad, but its a sure sign of the sorry state of things in the Telco sector when people are this dang excited over a new internet provider.

I love reading all the stuff from Comcast and TWC about how all is so great so let us merge. What a crock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:25 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
It is intriguing that this is the perceived paternalistic, benevolent corporate overlord:
https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=GOOG+Key+Statistics
Mammoth profit margin. Minimal overhead. Cash to debt is 7:1

And this is the horribly profitable demon:
https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=TWC+Key+Statistics
46% of the profit margin of GOOG. Tons of infrastructure. Cash to debt is 1:46

Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
I added a poll for us.

Or Google.

You know... whoever wants to read it.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times
Google, if you are reading, and I know you are, don't skip my neighborhood. We are in Raleigh technically, but right on the edge of Wake Forest.

If you include me, you will get much easier access to my data than you have now. No more of that pesky sharing with TWC - it's all yours, right from the pipe. You'll get to see everything I do. It's probably not that exciting, but it sure saves the NSA a lot of decryption time.

Oh, and you can ignore what I do late at night. What happens in the dark, stays in the dark...amiright?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is intriguing that this is the perceived paternalistic, benevolent corporate overlord:
https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=GOOG+Key+Statistics
Mammoth profit margin. Minimal overhead. Cash to debt is 7:1

And this is the horribly profitable demon:
https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=TWC+Key+Statistics
46% of the profit margin of GOOG. Tons of infrastructure. Cash to debt is 1:46
It takes cash to compete with an entrenched monopoly.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
It takes cash to compete with an entrenched monopoly.
Basically, you have one near monopolistic company competing with a tired vulnerable monopoly, with money brought from their other highly profitable business enterprises.
And, they cherry pick, picking and choosing whom they will serve. Rumor has it they are skipping Hillsborough.

Is their pricing based on gaining a 19.24% profit margin, as in the balance of their business? It actually looks as much like ruinous pricing as it does a for-profit business enterprise. They do have the edge of not having legacy debt incurred during price controls while investing in massive infrastructure development and routine replacement of aged out equipment.
But, GOOG has a fan base, developed via offering very profitable "free" stuff, and they will leverage that fan base greatly.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I added a poll for us.
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on this. First, I have to admit I don't have much familiarity with what Google will have to offer. I don't really need that much more internet speed (TWC standard seems adequate for what I need) - although a lower price would be wonderful. It would be interesting to see what they offer in terms of television - but I don't really need more channels. I'd rather get an à la carte approach on just the channels I want - again price is more of an issue than content. The unknown, of course, is how much TWC will step up their game, and what other providers like Dish/SlingTV, HBO Go, Netflix, etc will be offering that isn't tied to a cable package.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:42 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I too am glad, but its a sure sign of the sorry state of things in the Telco sector when people are this dang excited over a new internet provider....
It's more than just another ISP option, it's a ridiculously superior option. Plus, and for me this is an even bigger factor, I'm finally going to be free of any cable-based service; that makes me all tingly inside.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on this. First, I have to admit I don't have much familiarity with what Google will have to offer. I don't really need that much more internet speed (TWC standard seems adequate for what I need) - although a lower price would be wonderful. It would be interesting to see what they offer in terms of television - but I don't really need more channels. I'd rather get an à la carte approach on just the channels I want - again price is more of an issue than content. The unknown, of course, is how much TWC will step up their game, and what other providers like Dish/SlingTV, HBO Go, Netflix, etc will be offering that isn't tied to a cable package.
That makes sense. I just hate TWC and we don't have cable TV. We just want it for the Internet speed.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
As I type, the stupid picture I get from Time Warner is going in and out, and pixilating my CBS Evening News. I already rebooted the box this morning because the guide was unavailable. Google Fiber, I eagerly await ye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary