Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of Prestons around here...There is Prestonwood Country Club (probably what you saw) but I think workingmom was referring to Preston Village, which you can enter off of Davis Drive (street would be Preston Village Drive).

If you go to maps.google.com it will often overlay the names of the subdivisions on it (well it used to, they made some changes).

Drive down Cary Parkway from Harrison Ave to High House Rd and you'll see some of the places mentioned as well.

You can take Cary Parkway to High House Road, make a right, go about a mile or so (passing Prestonwood CC) and make a right on Davis Drive and explore those subdivision including Preston Village.

Library is on Louis Stephens Drive (runs parallel to Davis Drive) after you pass Preston Village you can turn left on Morrisville Parkway take to Louis Stephens and make a right and the library is right there. Continue north to Morrisville Carpenter Road and make a right - at the next big intersection you will see the Grace Park shopping center on the far left corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:46 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Bexley at Weston is represented by Juliet Circle on this map:
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Just south of Bexley at Weston, via Oak Island Drive, is Weston Pointe.
Due east of Bexley at Weston, across Norwell Blvd, is Weston Manor.

Weston Estates:

One subdivision not mentioned was Weston Oaks.
Look for Kennicott Avenue:

Beechtree adjoins Wessex, if you had turned off Midenhall onto Redgate, it would have put you through to Montibello which is the main road through that part of Beechtree.

You will go a bit farther south on N Harrison to enter Harrison Trace.
Livingstone Drive is the street off Harrison.
Settlers Court off Livingstone will take you into Homestead.
Once in Homestead, you can enter Governors Row via Heritage Ct.

Glenkirk, Weatherstone, Highland Oaks:
Enter from Cary Parkway on Olde Weatherstone Way:

Castalia Drive takes you into Weatherstone.
Spring Bud Ct. connects Weatherstone and Highland Oaks.

Any of these would be an excellent quick commute to Met Life/Weston Parkway.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM

21 posts, read 36,210 times
You guys are amazing! I can't get over how informative this message board is. I would be clueless without you!

We don't have a realtor yet and MetLife will help us. This trip was meant to show me around and convince me to move here. My husband is doing an amazing job of that. I've had such wonderful meals here, and am in love with the state farmers market, which we stumbled upon. I can't say enough positive things about the umstead spa and service and food.

We drove around for a few hours yesterday and will do more downtown today. Our quick opinion is that if we live in a subdivision, it will have to be a mature, wooded one. We liked Wessex. We didn't like Brier Creek area at all. Felt like a bubble, and shopping area was a zoo. Too large and contained. North hills was very nice, and we went to the park over there--sadly no kids were at the park but it could've been naptime. A quick drive through five points and cam village and my thoughts were a lot of college kids? We will explore that more today, but my old man husband doesn't want to live near college kids. We thought Anderson heights was gorgeous. cary is nice but we need to see downtown and more areas today.
Overall Raleigh is very nice and I'm sure we can be happy here. Just so hard taking my little ones away from family.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,440 times
Another company from a Blue state moving to a Red state for obvious reasons!

Welcome! :-)

Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Maybe your family will move here too (happens all the time!)

While I like Brier Creek to visit, I had occasion to spend a decent amount of time there for a week last summer and felt the same way as you.

We also wanted a mature neighborhood with a larger plot of land and trees and the advantage to that kind of neighborhood is you also get some nice long standing traditions that can help you meet people and ease the transition (if you go that route).

Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Every area ITB is very different, values change quickly. Five Points doesn't really have any college kids. Cameron Village you could see some since NC State is walking distance. You would see college kids living within 2, maybe 3 blocks (in a few places) north of Hillsborough, west of Oberlin Rd, and as far to the west as Faircloth.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Another company from a Blue state moving to a Red state for obvious reasons!

Welcome! :-)
oh please.....
NC was built for a century by Democrats and the Triangle especially is not a conservative bastion. The "red" takeover of NC is very recent phenom that, without gerrymandering, might otherwise already be over.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciblueyes View Post
Workingmomof2-what is address of library? Lake? Preston is large and we got as far as a golf course...
Is there a subdivision you can lead us too?
We found Wessex-very nice, wooded and close to MetLife but couldn't find the other places by Weston parkway.
Sorry - was out of town and just saw this. You've already gotten some great responses, but wanted to go ahead and share in case you are still looking around:
Attached Thumbnails
Neighborhoods to look at this weekend in Raleigh-map-area.gif  

Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 36,210 times
Hi Everyone!
We are making the move soon and my husband is looking at houses tonight.

I know the neighborhoods I like (older, more mature landscaping), and the family friendly ones people talk about, but he is looking at some in the following subdivisons: Picadilly Pointe, Carramore, Lochmere, Windmere & Highland Oaks. I think he is looking at Highland Oaks tonight. Honest opinions please.

We are renting for a year (hopefully if we can find something!) before we buy, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

We have a 3yr old and a 9month old - moving from LI.

Thanks so much-

Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
Carramore does not have any mature trees, it does not sound like it will fit what you like. There are neighborhoods close to it that do; Preston Village, MacArthur Park, Whitebridge. Lochmere on the other hand is beautiful, lots of trees, great parks and shopping close by as well as access to 64 (it will take you to 40). I do not know much about the other 2 you listed.

Good luck with your search and your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary