Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
So, one component of a security system might be a recording of a large dog barking!!

I have read the threads about wireless systems with interest, and I am convinced they can trouble-free.

FWIW, we have had only one false alarm with the wired components of our system. We can't fully explain it, but the wind may have blown hard enough against a door to set off a break-in sensor.
I have actually heard this barking dog alarm and it sounds amazingly real. Different barking sounds repeated at reasonable intervals, on a motion detector. I really couldn't tell this wasn't a real dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 PM

621 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I have actually heard this barking dog alarm and it sounds amazingly real. Different barking sounds repeated at reasonable intervals, on a motion detector. I really couldn't tell this wasn't a real dog.
Sounds like a good complement to an outdoor motion detector. I will take a look at what's available.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:11 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Wired appears more reliable than wireless but, in the context of a home security system, I am finding out wireless is more than up to the task.
Same here. Been reading a lot of good things about Simplisafe. Pretty sure I'll be all wireless when I make my decision.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Just an update. Based on several recommendations here and by DM, we ended up getting a wireless system from Alarm Man. We did get an outdoor siren, which is wired, also through Alarm Man. They did not recommend the outdoor siren, but we opted to get it anyway.

Cost including equipment and installation, one year of monitoring, one year of online Smart phone access, was WAY less than any other estimate we've received.

This was the ONLY company that was saying "No, you don't need that. You're duplicating security measures." For example, a motion detector negated the need for window contacts on several windows. Glass break on one large window covered several windows. Etc.

Super nice people, very efficient, cleaned up after themselves, patient with our huge number of questions, and recommended (assuming we have no problems with the system. If we do, I'll update the thread again.)

Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
They did not recommend the outdoor siren, but we opted to get it anyway.
Good luck. I'm glad I'm not one of your neighbors. A siren might scare away a burglar, but it will definitely annoy your neighbors.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Good luck. I'm glad I'm not one of your neighbors. A siren might scare away a burglar, but it will definitely annoy your neighbors.
Yeah, we weren't going to do it - but a bunch of our neighbors have installed them, so we're not the only ones in the 'hood. And it's set to only go off for four minutes. . .

Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
This was the ONLY company that was saying "No, you don't need that. You're duplicating security measures." For example, a motion detector negated the need for window contacts on several windows. Glass break on one large window covered several windows. Etc.
The key difference here is that a window contact will alert you to an intruder before they enter your home while a motion detector won't sense their presence until after they've already entered your home. Also..the motion detectors are typically bypassed when someone is in the home with the alarm activated such as at night while sleeping at such time motion detectors in bypass mode are totally useless.

Regarding the outdoor siren, most alarm companies will put them in the attic near gable or soffit vents so they can still be easily heard outside but remain out of sight and protected from the elements or physical access by burglars who can easily just cut the wire to disable them.

On the glass breaks, be aware that certain sounds in the correct sequence can also set them off such as playing loud music while the system is armed. You can set them off by smacking the wall near them with your hand and then immediately jingle a set of keys which emulates the sound of a window being broken.

You did not mention anything about smoke alarms being included in the deal which is nice to have them connected to the alarm system in case of fire while you are not home. I'm not trying to be be critical, but it sounds like you only got a system at the most basic level in return for low cost but with very limited protection.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post

You did not mention anything about smoke alarms being included in the deal which is nice to have them connected to the alarm system in case of fire while you are not home. I'm not trying to be be critical, but it sounds like you only got a system at the most basic level in return for low cost but with very limited protection.
Which was EXACTLY what we wanted. It's more than enough protection for us, since we recognize that there is no possible way to entirely eliminate the risk of break in. All we wanted was a deterrent, primarily when we are away from the home.

Your comments about the glass break were informative, and I thank you for them.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
My wife plays the drums and one day she forgot to disarm the alarm system first before she started playing and of course the glass breaks thought we were being invaded and set the alarm off....ooops!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM

200 posts, read 618,720 times
Quote:
Which was EXACTLY what we wanted. It's more than enough protection for us, since we recognize that there is no possible way to entirely eliminate the risk of break in. All we wanted was a deterrent, primarily when we are away from the home.

One thing you should consider is a cellular radio instead of a land line, it only cost a little more and it is pretty much undefeatable since they can cut the phone line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: