Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 PM

128 posts, read 413,356 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are there any health or safety issues with the power lines/towers at Winmore in Carrboro?

Thank you!

Best,
cm143
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
A lot has been written about alleged health issues from living near high voltage power lines, but I don't think there is solid science around the claims, last I read. Still they do create issues for some buyers - as your question evidences. Nearby power lines are a factor potential buyers will look at, so consider how they could impact your future sale of the property.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:49 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I agree with CHTransplant. I know I immediately ruled out Winmore because of the power lines. Even if there are no health issues associated with it, they are unsightly.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I looked at that neighborhood as well and ruled it out because of those power lines. They are ugly and I have young children so the possible health issues worry me..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Thanks, everyone! I have a 1-year old, and we were thinking of renting - not buying...but they make me nervous.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
I, too, rejected a house next door to overhead power lines. Not just the health effects, but on the potential resale value. . . location, location, location.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
A lot has been written about alleged health issues from living near high voltage power lines, but I don't think there is solid science around the claims, last I read.
RF drops off rapidly as you move away from the source. There are no definitive studies I know about that prove a link between RF and health issues. If you are really worried about RF, stay inside to avoid exposure to the sun and natural sources and also get rid of your cell phone, wireless router, microwave oven, wireless keyboard, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:58 AM

EMR (Electro-Magnetic Radiation), much like other forms of EMR (light, X-Rays, etc.), power falls off with the inverse of the distance squared.

People are afraid of overhead power lines, but don't worry too much about living near radio or TV broadcast towers. It's all relative risk. We're all constantly being irradiated with EMR no matter where we are--unless you live in a cave or underground, in which case you have to worry about Radon and other radioactive gasses caused by natural decay of radioactive particles in soil/rock formations underground.

BY FAR, and I mean by a LONG WAYS, you're doing two HUGELY more dangerous things by going into your bathroom and driving, than any of these other threats pose.

So, to put it in perspective about the house in question: you're probably pretty safe from an EMR standpoint being near those power lines--just don't go into its bathroom or drive to or from the house.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM

I have read the studies, and I know that there's nothing conclusive, but some studies have shown a higher rate of childhood leukemia relative to distance of power lines. The property is ~500 feet away which seems so close...wondering if I should still err on the safe side?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM

Never hurts to be safe, cm143. For grown adults I wouldn't worry. For children who are still "forming", I would probably worry a bit. Enough to find something else if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary