Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,524,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Hmmm. Let me see... Do you know what it's after? Besides your sanity, I mean?

The only birds that really bother me are woodpeckers, but I can see how annoying a constant noise you don't like might be.
well from everything I've read online, it's the male bird that makes most of the noise. But it's supposed to calm down when it finds a mate and they have a nest. This bird does have a mate, a nest and little bird babies. And it's still squawking it's &^*( head off all day, and now some nights too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,745,551 times
The Mockingbirds wanted lower taxes and better weather, too!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,947,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Hi all - as my namesake indicates, I am fairly new to the Cary area and have never before had the DIS-pleasure of hearing the world's most ANNOYING and LOUD bird, the mockingbird! I work from home, so it's not enough that I hear this satanic bird squawking ALL day, it has recently taken to squawking at NIGHT too! My ears are starting to get sore from earplugs - and yes, I also have a white noise maker and a box fan to help drown out the horrible sounds of this bird (go to youtube and see just how loud this bird "sings").

The little SOB already mated and his a bunch of kids - I see them all by the pool area. But he still SQUAWKS ALL DAY, and now at night! It is really starting to effect my quality of life

I know they are protected (GOD ONLY KNOWS WHY! there is certainly no shortage of them in my area!), but I would love to know how other deal with this satanic creature.

help!
You need to move before you do something really stupid

You should hear my Martins at the beach.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The Mockingbirds wanted lower taxes and better weather, too!
Hahahaha! Okay. That made me laugh.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Quote:
well from everything I've read online, it's the male bird that makes most of the noise. But it's supposed to calm down when it finds a mate and they have a nest. This bird does have a mate, a nest and little bird babies. And it's still squawking it's &^*( head off all day, and now some nights too.
Maybe he's just an annoying mockingbird in general.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM

715 posts, read 890,329 times
Getting Rid of Mockingbirds | ThriftyFun

Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,243,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
If you own your home, get some decent windows, if renting then move. Birds chirping shouldn't penetrate decent double paned windows, at least not to the point of still being heard through something like a white noise machine. You can also order windows with improved insulation from sound.

For a cheaper interim solution try one of those ultrasonic bird repellers or the owls with the rotating head.
I agree. We can't hear the birds chirping from inside our house--thank goodness because I'm a light sleeper!

The thing that bothers me about Mockingbirds is that they are so aggressive. They chase away other birds at my bird feeders. I've even seen them swooping down on the neighbors dogs--trying to chase them away too!

OP--are there any birds/hawks in your area? Perhaps they'll pay your Mockingbird a visit?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Thanks - I've seen that already.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I agree. We can't hear the birds chirping from inside our house--thank goodness because I'm a light sleeper!

The thing that bothers me about Mockingbirds is that they are so aggressive. They chase away other birds at my bird feeders. I've even seen them swooping down on the neighbors dogs--trying to chase them away too!

OP--are there any birds/hawks in your area? Perhaps they'll pay your Mockingbird a visit?
We're renting - so we can't investigate getting better windows. This is a nice community (the rent is definitely not cheap!) that's only 5 yrs old, so you would think the sound proofing would be better.

They are so NASTY! I have seen these birds head butting crows, several times their size. Like I said, I actually really like birds, but seriously hate these mockingbirds! I have no idea why they're protected. There seems to be an infestation of them in so many parts of the US.

There are eagles AND hawks nearby and I keep hoping they will come by and have some mockingbird for dinner!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 AM

637 posts, read 1,059,661 times
Quote:
We're renting - so we can't investigate getting better windows. This is a nice community (the rent is definitely not cheap!) that's only 5 yrs old, so you would think the sound proofing would be better.
No, that's actually an indication that the windows are the worst possible builder-grade crap imaginable. Homes around here that are 20-30 years old are usually superior in so many regards because all of the horribly low quality builder materials have been replaced/upgraded etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary