Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:44 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

I love heat even Raleigh summer.

While I smell like a wet dog, I feel just great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That's one side, the other (it all depends on perspective and preference). I didn't like myself and my kids having to stay couped up all SUMMER in NC with the AC. In upstate NY, from January-late March was the period the kids would stay inside most of the time (December snow was, and esepcially right now after not having it for so long, still is fun, even for me and the wife. haha). But in NC, it was just flipped around...kids stay inside most of the time from Mid-may- Mid September because it's too hot and humid. For me, PERSONALLY, I like being able to enjoy myself and go outside more durring summer, and staying inside more durring winter than vice versa (and not for nothing, but winter in NC isn't usually exactly "pleasant outside weather". Typical winter day is high in the 40's low in the 20's, with those occasional warm days were it gets up to the 60's). Interstingly enough, the only winter my kids DID go outside a lot was winter 2000 when we got that freak 2-footer storm; and I believe there were 2 other decent snows that year when we got at least a few inches.
Come on, is summer that bad there? I have visited my parents in Florida in August and still managed to get outside at like 4pm to 9pm (daylight). That is not so bad.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Come on, is summer that bad there? I have visited my parents in Florida in August and still managed to get outside at like 4pm to 9pm (daylight). That is not so bad.
That is my feeling on the heat. I go out early in the morning or late afternoon. In the winter cold is cold! Even when it was 105 I still went to the pool with my kids. Or I hopped in the car and went to an air conditioned musuem. We threw our sandals on and went. There was no time spent putting on layer after layer of clothes and scrapping ice and snow off the car. The heat didn't cause the road conditions to make the trip twice as long.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 PM

213 posts, read 936,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Raleigh does, occasionally, get a respectable snow storm. I remember one storm in the late 90's that dumped about 2 feet of snow on the city. Still... I guess that's small potatoes compared to winter in Massachusetts.
It is different getting 22 inches of snow in NC than getting it in Mass. NC doesn't have the equipment to handle that amount of snow. My son was out of school for 2 weeks and I was out of work for 1. There were no snow plows to be found anywhere. It was horrible.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM

245 posts, read 765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
It is different getting 22 inches of snow in NC than getting it in Mass. NC doesn't have the equipment to handle that amount of snow. My son was out of school for 2 weeks and I was out of work for 1. There were no snow plows to be found anywhere. It was horrible.
I seem to remember being out of work for 2 or 3 days. As I recall, the road crews had the main roads cleared fairly quickly, but the subdivision streets took a lot longer to clear. Not sure where you were at the time, but my commute down US1 wasn't too bad by the third day. It was the neighborhood roads that made traveling dicey for a few days after the storm.

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 12-18-2007 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 12-18-2007, 04:39 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
Yes, but how many times in the past 5 years or so have you had 22 inches of snow? And how many times have you had wind chills well below zero? Or snow in May? Golf is a fall sport at the high school level here because the greens are a mess in the spring.

I agree with the above poster about the heat. We lived in VA for 2 years and I just stayed inside during the hottest part of the day but was outside early AM and in the evening. The humidity is very uncomfortable: I'll give you that! But I lived in Phoenix for 2 years and let me tell you, a dry heat of 120 is HOT!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
I am actually hoping for a little snow this year. Maybe a day or two... would be nice to see it again. But yes, Ive been to MA in winter and I prefer the NC winter any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary