Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:11 PM

28 posts, read 56,499 times

Advertisements

Check out the original "fly-through" at the 2:35 minute mark of their 2012 promo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOh...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Well, they definitely show a nice mixed use section in that video. Unfortunately, they were hoodwinking people, because there is nothing like the mixed use shots on the plans showed on the video, never mind in combination with the other shops buildings show just prior. It looks like they used old renderings with a newer version of the plan.

Does sound similar to what happened to Park West, bad timing and opposition causing delays and when things finally came back a little, lenders were so afraid of anything not a cookie cutter development and were asking for so much money from the developer, that a whole "generation" of projects got dumbed down.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, they definitely show a nice mixed use section in that video. Unfortunately, they were hoodwinking people, because there is nothing like the mixed use shots on the plans showed on the video, never mind in combination with the other shops buildings show just prior. It looks like they used old renderings with a newer version of the plan.

Does sound similar to what happened to Park West, bad timing and opposition causing delays and when things finally came back a little, lenders were so afraid of anything not a cookie cutter development and were asking for so much money from the developer, that a whole "generation" of projects got dumbed down.
That is exactly what happened. The original video and plans look nothing like what is shown now. I absolutely believe that the economy and investors dictated what we see currently. Just pointing out and supporting my initial comment about why I am disappointed with the final version of this shopping center that is being built. It is a far cry from what was originally proposed... I understand all of the variables involved in necessitating the switch to standard cookie cutter strip mall. Just bummed that it happened and it isn't the lifestyle plaza originally suggested for the site.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM

498 posts, read 853,967 times
How much of the difference is because of the different sections at the intersection? So far we are seeing Parkside, right? Isn't Whole Foods going in Alston Town Center (might not have the name exactly right), a different quadrant? While I thought the whole area was going to have the nice detail found in the Town of Cary documents, perhaps it's just the one section?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,938,350 times
Remember, what the vision might be and what reality is are often very different. In 2007 Parkside TC was a vision of pre-apocolyptic Cary before the economic Chernobyl. I'm just happy for some 2014 reality.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxmulder View Post
That is exactly what happened. The original video and plans look nothing like what is shown now. I absolutely believe that the economy and investors dictated what we see currently. Just pointing out and supporting my initial comment about why I am disappointed with the final version of this shopping center that is being built. It is a far cry from what was originally proposed... I understand all of the variables involved in necessitating the switch to standard cookie cutter strip mall. Just bummed that it happened and it isn't the lifestyle plaza originally suggested for the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Remember, what the vision might be and what reality is are often very different. In 2007 Parkside TC was a vision of pre-apocolyptic Cary before the economic Chernobyl. I'm just happy for some 2014 reality.

I agree, plans change, but in the video posted above, they are showing things that are in conflict with each other. Look how long the street is with the 4 story apartments above retail. Count the number of parking spaces they show. Look on the plan that showed right before that and find something similar. You can't because it is just not there. Really, everything they show in renderings is an exaggeration at best of what is show in the video, if you look closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
How much of the difference is because of the different sections at the intersection? So far we are seeing Parkside, right? Isn't Whole Foods going in Alston Town Center (might not have the name exactly right), a different quadrant? While I thought the whole area was going to have the nice detail found in the Town of Cary documents, perhaps it's just the one section?
The video was by the developers of just the one section that is partly open and being built out now, Parkside Town Commons. The other areas are different developers.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,938,350 times
Hey fxmulder: remember, the truth is out there!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I agree, plans change, but in the video posted above, they are showing things that are in conflict with each other. Look how long the street is with the 4 story apartments above retail. Count the number of parking spaces they show. Look on the plan that showed right before that and find something similar. You can't because it is just not there. Really, everything they show in renderings is an exaggeration at best of what is show in the video, if you look closely.
That video is heavily edited from the original. They inserted the new site plan and forgot to edit out the renderings at the end when they made changes. That is the point I was making. Of course it does not match up with the plan they are implementing. The current layout is obviously completely different from the original proposal, hence the fact that it does not match up with the original renderings shown at the end of the video.

This is the point I have been trying to make all along. Parkside is ultimately nothing like what was originally proposed and I wish they could have followed though with the original plans (as illustrated by the renderings at the end of the video). I understand all of the factors that caused the deviation from the original proposal, But still wish it could have been built to the original vision. I am tired of the same cookie-cutter big box, chain filled plaza every few miles. Personal opinion and nothing more.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 AM

32 posts, read 43,350 times
Oh yeah that flythrough looks really nice! Is that not what the finished product is going to look like? I thought maybe Phase 2 would be closer to that feel.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM

it will look more like the single story part I think they took all the multi story stuff out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary