Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM

379 posts, read 517,860 times

Advertisements

I know its a little late for this question but, my sister in law moved in June and enrolled my nephew at St Francis Assisi for the up coming school year. When we visited last week she told us he had no summer assignments or books that he had to read. Granted he is going into second grade so I thought that maybe it was just that school, or the kids in that grade level don't get summer reading or assignments. Also, my wife has kept in touch with three other families from our area who moved to Waxhaw, NC this summer and its the same thing there. One of the parents was told by the school administrator that they don't give school work over the summer because they believe that the kids get enough work during the school year and that they deserve to get a break during the summer. Is this the norm in the school system down there? Also with the track schools do they get assignments during their breaks during the year?

On a side note, my son who is going into fourth grade at a Catholic school here had to complete 24 math quizzes online, 24 English/Grammar quizzes online, two book reports, and a verbal presentation project on one of those books for the class which is due the second week of school. I think he got way too much work and I do believe the kids should get a break during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
When I first read your question I thought you were talking about "summer school", but you're talking about school work in the summer, right?

No. They would not do that in elementary school unless the child was going to summer school. I have never heard of it, at least. It's possible the high school kids might be assigned a book to read over the summer, but definitely nothing in elementary school. I can't speak to breaks in year round school, but I know most teachers don't assign stuff over winter break in traditional school. Occasionally my kids have had a fun assignment over winter break.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 PM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
You are right, I should have titled the thread a little differently. School Work Summer Assignments would have been more appropriate. I'll chalk it up to the long ride home and a couple of glasses of wine. Anyway thanks for the response and I personally believe that outside of a book or two, the kids should not get a lot of work for the summer.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I've only heard of summer work in a couple of private high schools and I'm not even sure if they still do it. Some YR teachers will assign work in between tracks during the same academic year. Its not common but also not unheard of.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Nope we don't have it.
We did have it in our Long Island school district and I went onto the website to print out the packet for my DD. To my surprise the rising 5th grade packet covered stuff that she learned in 3rd grade. The rising 6th grade packet was more in line with what she needed. Glad I'm not paying $15k taxes to be a year behind!
In the end though I decided not to bother. It was so small and still so easy that I saw little value in it. And my older kids saw some friends when we were up last week and none of them had started their rising 8th grade packets yet. So much for working on those skills all summer!

Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
My kids didn't get any summer work here in Chapel Hill. In my old school district in Fairfax County, Virginia, the students were definitely given summer work. My friend's rising 7th grader has to read about 15 books over the summer and complete a math packet that counts as a quiz to be returned the first week of school. They are definitely way ahead of where my kid is in Chapel Hill schools.

7th grade reading list: http://www.fcps.edu/is/summer/readin...78SummRead.pdf

7th grade summer math packet: http://fcps.edu/LutherJacksonMS/docu...Packet2014.pdf

Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
I have never heard of assigned school work over summer. Who holds them accountable? The following year's teacher?
I've heard of "suggesting work and reading" but not required. I'm saying this as a former teacher and parent of 4 who has had kids in school districts her and in WI. Even my oldest who went to a very good school district never had summer homework.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I have never heard of assigned school work over summer. Who holds them accountable? The following year's teacher?
I've heard of "suggesting work and reading" but not required. I'm saying this as a former teacher and parent of 4 who has had kids in school districts her and in WI. Even my oldest who went to a very good school district never had summer homework.
If you look at the math link I posted, you'll see that the students have to turn in their math packet the first Friday they return to school and it counts as their first quiz. I'm not sure how they check the reading homework. My friend is visiting tomorrow, and I will ask her.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Yes like michgc said the following year's teacher.

When I was in HS and took AP English we had to read books over the summer (think 15 is a bit much for a 7th grader, the most I had to read was 10). If you didn't read you were pretty much going to have a rough go of it during the first month of school.

Like I said the ones I'm seeing from my old "competitive district" were more "feel good busy work" than anything.

of course I just asked my youngest what 7x4 is and she cried and said "school doesn't start till Monday" so maybe something is better than nothing LOL.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
A few weeks ago, most of my FB friends started posting about their kids needing to finish up (or start) their summer work. We've never had summer work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My kids didn't get any summer work here in Chapel Hill. In my old school district in Fairfax County, Virginia, the students were definitely given summer work. My friend's rising 7th grader has to read about 15 books over the summer and complete a math packet that counts as a quiz to be returned the first week of school. They are definitely way ahead of where my kid is in Chapel Hill schools.

7th grade reading list: http://www.fcps.edu/is/summer/readin...78SummRead.pdf

7th grade summer math packet: http://fcps.edu/LutherJacksonMS/docu...Packet2014.pdf
Thanks for posting this. I have a rising 7th grader too, and I know that Fairfax County is a highly regarded school system, so I clicked on the links you posted. I actually feel better about my dd's education now, because the math packet looks like a review of what they learned last year, and she's read quite a few of the books on the reading list (but I'm happy to now have such a diverse list of appropriate books).

I'm wondering if the lack of "mandatory" school work over the summer is related to the same state law that killed mandatory year-round schools (i.e., a limit on the number of school days in the summer or something like that)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary