Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 AM

60 posts, read 113,469 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Wife and I are first-time home buyers, and we recently went to NCSECU for a pre-approval. I'll mention that we're about 7-8 months away from actively looking for homes; it was recommended to us that we get pre-approved now to give ourselves a good ballpark estimate of the size/price home we should be considering.

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed in our recent experience. We've been account holders there for almost 4 years now, and I’ve never had anything bad to say about them. I’m aware that SECU only has a few ARM products, and a 15 yr fixed rate product. We walked in and were basically expected to know which product we wanted – but that was the whole reason I went in to talk with them; we weren’t sure which type of mortgage would best suit us, based off of what we were prepared to put down, our incomes, debts, etc. The rep we spoke with immediately assumed we wanted a 100% financed 5-year ARM, and gave me somewhat of a confused look when I started telling her we were more interested in putting a considerable payment down. When I asked her to give us an estimate for a 15-year fixed rate, she mentioned that this type of mortgage "reduces your buying power" because of the higher monthly payments. Of course I understand this, and I also understand that a bank is making less $$ off of me with a much lower rate loan. In no way did she help us gain more insight into which product would be best for us. She ran our credit report, ASKED US WHAT WE THOUGHT WE’D BE COMFORTABLE PAYING, and gave us a result. I emphasize the former sentence because I blown away that SHE was asking US what we wanted to pay. Isn’t a pre-approval process supposed to tell me what I can reasonably expect to be loaned from a bank? The rep was very nice, but it just didn't seem like they had any interest in our request.

Someone tell me if I my expectations are off here. Maybe I expected way too much from this experience, and should have brought more knowledge to the meeting beforehand? Am I way off-base?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
No, you're not way off base (though I don't know this is really a local topic). Sales people range from the very best to the very worst; don't blame SECU for a less than stellar experience. If they have the product or rates you're looking for give them another try.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Numb3rs View Post
Someone tell me if I my expectations are off here. Maybe I expected way too much from this experience, and should have brought more knowledge to the meeting beforehand? Am I way off-base?
There are plenty of free calculators that will help you determine how much house you can qualify to buy. Even the old 28%/36% will get you in the ballpark.

One advantage SECU offers is they offer loans above 80% LTV with no PMI, which can be a big help to a first-time buyer.

Did she ask how long you plan to be in the house? That can help determine if an ARM is an option.

Credit Unions are for the benefit of the members vs a bank which focuses on share holder return, and usually have better mortgage products. That said, you should also contact a mortgage broker for quotes.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
FWIW, I would only go to NCSECU if you are looking for an ARM. When I went years ago they were pretty up front how they can offer good rates on ARMs but aren't as competitive when it comes to fixed rates. They simply don't have access to the numerous options for fixed rate products that a mortgage broker can explore for you.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM

60 posts, read 113,469 times
All very good points here.

I think perhaps I need to first determine what mortgage product we are most interested in, and then find those banks that offer such a product.

We weren't asked any questions about how long we planned to be in the house. BUT that's a good example of the type of conversation I was expecting to have

Thanks very much for weighing in here.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
I think perhaps I need to first determine what mortgage product we are most interested in, and then find those banks that offer such a product.
If you are interested in a 30-year fixed, I'd start with a mortgage broker first. A local bank is likely to sell your loan anyway, so you won't have a long-term relationship with them. However, Branch Bank and Trust has on online pre-qualifying option.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you are interested in a 30-year fixed, I'd start with a mortgage broker first. A local bank is likely to sell your loan anyway, so you won't have a long-term relationship with them.
Ding, ding. We have a winner!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
She ran our credit report, ASKED US WHAT WE THOUGHT WE’D BE COMFORTABLE PAYING, and gave us a result. I emphasize the former sentence because I blown away that SHE was asking US what we wanted to pay. Isn’t a pre-approval process supposed to tell me what I can reasonably expect to be loaned from a bank?
It is possible that they were trying to get avoid approving you for more than you could afford, as opposed to giving you a blank check, or to manage your expectations. There are people that make the mistake of the bank telling them what they can afford.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,079 times
I second the broker and suggest Corporate Investors Mortgage Company. Because rates are so low, you can get a 30 year fixed with no closing costs. Kind of a no brainier.

Rates are a little higher now, but I got a 30 year fixed, no cost at 3.75%.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:58 PM

185 posts, read 472,871 times
Or look into an FHA with someone else....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: