Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
NEWSFLASH! I-95 through NC is a 50 year old, outdated death trap. Someone dies every week. The toll proposal is for the $7 BILLION needed to improve the East Coast's most vital artery for the next 50 years.

NC has neglected this highway because it mostly benefits out-of-staters. You should be happy about that.
Likewise for I-95 in South Carolina. Aside from improvements in Florence, I-95 in SC is a miserable experience. Nor has Virginia done much to improve I-95 south of Petersburg. The exception is Georgia, which six-laned its portion during the mid-1990s Olympics exuberance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:34 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Likewise for I-95 in South Carolina. Aside from improvements in Florence, I-95 in SC is a miserable experience. Nor has Virginia done much to improve I-95 south of Petersburg. The exception is Georgia, which six-laned its portion during the mid-1990s Olympics exuberance.
Having driven up from Florida yesterday on I-95, I will agree that driving in Georgia is a much more pleasant experience than in either NC or SC. The 6 lanes make a huge difference!

Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM

135 posts, read 162,854 times
Having spent quite a bit of time on 95 recently (still back and forth between NC and VA homes), I'd say that the NC portion of 95 is the best of the 3 sections I have been taking. It has the least amount of traffic and is in better shape than the other sections (and 295 around Petersburg / Richmond). North of Richmond is my least favorite - too much traffic and backups even with the additional lane each way.

As far as toll roads go, I have been suggesting VA put tolls on 95 for many years. Instead, they raise the tolls on the Dulles Toll Road which is almost a requirement for many folks commutes. So, people are paying money to sit in traffic...They have added the HOT (High-Occupancy / Toll) Lanes on 95 that go south close to Fredericksburg and around the VA portion of the beltway. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the Dulles Toll Road very often any more. The Greenway, an extention of the Toll Road from Dulles out to Leesburg is quite expensive (something like $4.50 or so off peak) for about 12 miles and it is a flat fee regardless of whether you go one exit down or end to end. Lots of traffic on it too! A comparison from my commute which covers about half the length- the Greenway generally saves me between 20 and 30 minutes vs. a no-toll route. Seems like plenty of people willing to spend that much to save time...

Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
They don't want to toll it just for the heck of it.

NEWSFLASH! I-95 through NC is a 50 year old, outdated death trap. Someone dies every week. The toll proposal is for the $7 BILLION needed to improve the East Coast's most vital artery for the next 50 years.

NC has neglected this highway because it mostly benefits out-of-staters. You should be happy about that.

However, the time has come now to address I-95 through NC.
Maybe just maybe we need to understand WHY our gas tax is not enough to maintain the roads? Maybe they need to just raise gas taxes? Instead our gas taxes are going to roads I don't use IE I95, in turn we can't afford roads that will help the local economy and citizens like NC 540 so I have to pay twice to use that road, gas tax and a toll.

I95 is a road with massive costs and use, just toll it then, instead we suck money away from other local needs and make them into toll roads all cause a deal struck with the devil (federal gov't).

Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Perhaps we just need to realize that highways just can't do the job.

More commuter and medium distance rail is the true answer.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I95 is a road with massive costs and use, just toll it then, instead we suck money away from other local needs and make them into toll roads all cause a deal struck with the devil (federal gov't).
While I agree with your sentiment to an extent, you do realize what you just said right? Some parts of I-95 serve local traffic. That's why there's such an ongoing uproar about tolling I-95 completely in some areas. Tolling I-95 in effect is similar in that instance to tolling 540 here in the Triangle.

Basically there's going to be a "loser" in any case. Nothing is clear cut here.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:10 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Perhaps we just need to realize that highways just can't do the job.

More commuter and medium distance rail is the true answer.
My eyes are bleeding. We actually agree on something.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Maybe just maybe we need to understand WHY our gas tax is not enough to maintain the roads? Maybe they need to just raise gas taxes? Instead our gas taxes are going to roads I don't use IE I95, in turn we can't afford roads that will help the local economy and citizens like NC 540 so I have to pay twice to use that road, gas tax and a toll.

I also agree with your sentiment, but to have an open and critical discussion, I'd also argue that I-95 helps our local economy AT LEAST as much as 540. The products we buy (and sell) likely come and go on 95. It is not just people coming and going to work. It is products. As those products come and go with the least resistance, our economy benefits.

All that said, I agree with you, and would rather see them Toll 95 (the cost to business would not be that significant if a truck carrying $100k worth of product had to pay $10 extra) than 540. But do understand that our interestates, and PARTICULARLY I-95 has a major impact on our local economy.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
The problem is, highways, rail, whatever costs money and no one wants to pay, while screaming about how everything sucks. That's the problem we really need to solve.

And rail is all well and good and definitely should be added, but it is not realistic in my opinion to come up with a rail solution that would eliminate the need for work on I-95, unless literally unlimited amounts of money are thrown at it.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 AM

544 posts, read 852,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
All that said, I agree with you, and would rather see them Toll 95 (the cost to business would not be that significant if a truck carrying $100k worth of product had to pay $10 extra) than 540. But do understand that our interestates, and PARTICULARLY I-95 has a major impact on our local economy.
How about this: Put up tolls at the VA and SC state lines. Traffic heading into NC pays a modest toll, no charge to leave NC. That arrangement -- generally speaking -- you would not be impacting local/commuting traffic for NC residents who wonk in NC.

Try it for a year. If it road needs to generate more income, try tolling those leaving NC.

** I have no idea what the traffic counts are for traffic on 95 into NC, but it would be pretty easy to estimate how much money could be generated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary