Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,120 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family of 5 will be moving from Paris, France to Raleigh this summer, and my husband will be working in NW Raleigh. We have a 16 year old daughter, a 12 year old daughter, and a baby boy. The 12 year old will be going into 7th grade and has been taking Latin in school. I'm hoping to find a school that offers Latin (if not in middle school, then at least in high school). Does anyone know of any, other than Ravenscroft,? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 02:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
What about a Catholic school? Most folks can't fit Ravenscroft into their budget.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:34 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I thought they told us at curriculum night that Green Hope HS offered Latin. I wasn't too focused on the languages though so not sure.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:50 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmclean View Post
I'm hoping to find a school that offers Latin
Two of mine took 3 years of Latin in High School. I tried to talk them out of it. Both now wish they had taken another language.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:58 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Latin, being the foundation for the Romance languages, should probably not be classified as a "Foreign Language" study, but more of an academic, and a mental broadening and development pursuit.
No one really "speaks" Latin, but it is far from the "dead" language as some describe it. We see and use it daily beneath our English.
Per capita, pro rata, AD, PM, AM, esse quam videri, caveat emptor, nolo contendere, et cetera, etc.

Latin was so much more than just Latin.
We learned more about Roman history than in any HS history class.

I had two years of Latin, a couple of years of Spanish, and a year of French.
Latin was most instructive, IMO, and I never regretted not attaining fluency in the other two due to time spent in Latin study.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:59 AM

459 posts, read 757,593 times
Both of my kids took Latin at Cary High for a couple of years. The teacher, Dr. Dave, is great!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I had a child who took two years of Latin at Leesville Road High School in Raleigh.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:31 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Latin, being the foundation for the Romance languages, should probably not be classified as a "Foreign Language" study, but more of an academic, and a mental broadening and development pursuit.
No one really "speaks" Latin, but it is far from the "dead" language as some describe it. We see and use it daily beneath our English.
Per capita, pro rata, AD, PM, AM, esse quam videri, caveat emptor, nolo contendere, et cetera, etc.

Latin was so much more than just Latin.
We learned more about Roman history than in any HS history class.

I had two years of Latin, a couple of years of Spanish, and a year of French.
Latin was most instructive, IMO, and I never regretted not attaining fluency in the other two due to time spent in Latin study.

I agree with you Mike. I took Latin in ninth grade from a lady named Ruby Christian, and I remember more from that class than most others.

Though I still remember the poem,

"Latin is a language
As dead as it can be
First it killed the Romans
And now it's killing me"

Old 04-10-2015, 06:51 AM

606 posts, read 903,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorinCary View Post
Both of my kids took Latin at Cary High for a couple of years. The teacher, Dr. Dave, is great!
Same here! Dr. Dave is an awesome teacher. Two of my kids have had him for Latin and really enjoyed the classes.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
Thales Academy offers it in both Junior High and High School:

Junior High
High School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary