Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
And you know why we didn't get the Volvo plant? Because we didn't put up the business incentives.

You don't like those bribes, as you call them? Your choice. But North Carolina will NEVER get an auto plant without them. Love them or hate them, that is how the game is played.
Incentives are a decent idea for areas with high unemployment.

Wake County/RTP isn't qualified.

We do not need influxes of people generating infrastructure needs in an already overloaded area. Why pay to create more congestion and hurt QOL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:43 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Incentives are a decent idea for areas with high unemployment.

Wake County/RTP isn't qualified.

We do not need influxes of people generating infrastructure needs in an already overloaded area. Why pay to create more congestion and hurt QOL?
I'm pretty sure they weren't referring to Wake County or the Triangle in general. It's in reference to the Volvo plant not choosing to locate to the Rocky Mount area.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
LOL I love seeing the "white mans" I mean Yankee's burden rehashed in 2015

yes thank you so much for saving us from ourselves
Look I know someone that pretty recently bought a condo in a nice area of N Raleigh for just over 100k and he worked in a supermarket. It's not like all of "ya'll" are going to be priced out and homeless. Noone working at a low-wage job could ever afford a McMansion and support a family on one income what's new?

Before RTP took off to gentrify the area the per-capita crime rate was almost double what it was and now Raleigh is a nice place to live. Still plenty of cheap housing out in Durham or the outskirts if you want it. Improved wealth though is going to mean ramped up infastructure and better schools. How is that a bad thing?

If you've ever been to New York City before the mid-1990s you can see the benefits of gentrification. Look at how much nicer southern cities like Houston and Atlanta are than they used to be as well.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:13 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'm still a newbie to the Triangle as this will be my first summer here, and while it can certainly get humid during the summer up in the NY metro area, it still is overall more humid in this area.

When I was researching this area and comparing weather stats with downstate NY, I found in the Places Rated Almanac that the average humidity (average of all 12 months) in New York is 64.08%, while the average humidity in Raleigh is 69.5%. NY's humidity during June, July and August ranges from the low to upper 60%, while in Raleigh it is between 72-76%. Generally speaking, it is more humid in the morning and at night than it is during the middle of the day.

Places Rated also classifies Raleigh as having a subtropical climate (which is what Florida has), whereas NY has a "Hot Continental" climate.

I don't doubt that Raleigh is less humid than places like New Orleans or Mississippi, but i wouldn't say it's less humid here than NYC, that's for sure.
I don't like averages when it comes to the weather (I am a meteorology nut btw) as they rarely give an accurate depiction of what is going on any day. The average high temp for RDU this week is 87, last week 86. Clearly not accurate for any of these weeks' weather. Right now, again my place in NJ is sitting at 57% humidity, while RDU is at 40%. Little Rock is at 44%.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:15 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Look I know someone that pretty recently bought a condo in a nice area of N Raleigh for just over 100k and he worked in a supermarket. It's not like all of "ya'll" are going to be priced out and homeless. Noone working at a low-wage job could ever afford a McMansion and support a family on one income what's new?

Before RTP took off to gentrify the area the per-capita crime rate was almost double what it was and now Raleigh is a nice place to live. Still plenty of cheap housing out in Durham or the outskirts if you want it. Improved wealth though is going to mean ramped up infastructure and better schools. How is that a bad thing?

If you've ever been to New York City before the mid-1990s you can see the benefits of gentrification. Look at how much nicer southern cities like Houston and Atlanta are than they used to be as well.
I lived in Alphabet City (Manhattan) in a middle income project in the 70's and 80's. My Mom lived there too in an NYC Housing Authority project.

Gentrification did cut crime in the 9th and 13th NYPD precincts but it also forced out many tenants and businesses who toughed it out through the bad times. When Alphabet City became a fashionable area of the east Village, the greed of landlords found ways to push out the good residents with the bad.

My complex in Raleigh is seeing evictions because decent working people could no longer keep up with increased rent.

In our non-yuppie area, new complexes opened with lousy, small apartments at high prices since the yuppies don't feel $1,500 is too much for a 2 BR and developers flooded in with dreams of yuppie dollars in their heads..

Gentrification is a terrible issue across the country and needs to be stopped. Yuppies should straighten out their current areas instead of befouling ours.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 PM

513 posts, read 696,037 times
This my 3rd summer here and as far as I can remember the last 4-5 days have been the hottest I have experienced in the entire previous two summers. Although I've been told the past two summers were more mild than usual. Either way, the temps these past few days are definitely above the average for this time of year

Old 06-17-2015, 05:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
No, to keep them from polluting our small towns and to discourage both companies and individuals from coming here.
That's an interesting thing to say, because North Carolinians are pretty good on their own at polluting their small towns, and at voting for representatives who support the continued pollution of said towns.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Yes, the past two summers were mild. Actually exceptionally wet and mild last August, wasn't it?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:31 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
This heat is business as usual. We get spells of it in summer...not every year though. I guess we were due for this one

Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
Quote:
I lived in Alphabet City (Manhattan) in a middle income project in the 70's and 80's. My Mom lived there too in an NYC Housing Authority project.

Gentrification did cut crime in the 9th and 13th NYPD precincts but it also forced out many tenants and businesses who toughed it out through the bad times. When Alphabet City became a fashionable area of the east Village, the greed of landlords found ways to push out the good residents with the bad.

My complex in Raleigh is seeing evictions because decent working people could no longer keep up with increased rent.

In our non-yuppie area, new complexes opened with lousy, small apartments at high prices since the yuppies don't feel $1,500 is too much for a 2 BR and developers flooded in with dreams of yuppie dollars in their heads..

Gentrification is a terrible issue across the country and needs to be stopped. Yuppies should straighten out their current areas instead of befouling ours.
Lol another faux southerner fighting the outsiders. The issue isn't "yuppies" willing to pay rent as most renters probably aren't rich and are employed locally. It's homeowners demanding ever more restrictions on housing supply to keep their property values up. Any many of these people are long-time southerners. Rent follows a simple supply and demand curve. Falling wages for blue collar/unskilled workers are going to force these folks to re-tool as well or move ever further out from the city centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary