Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 02:23 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Can't imagine how high rent ruins anything for buyers...
High home prices also work the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 03:33 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
High home prices also work the same way.
... and if people moving here can afford the prices, then so be it. Who are we to begrudge the process? Especially if we're transplants ourselves.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
... and if people moving here can afford the prices, then so be it. Who are we to begrudge the process? Especially if we're transplants ourselves.
We begrudge it because they are ruining our quality of life and driving us out of our favorite areas.

After ruining NYC, etc, the transplants now want to continue "gentrifying" good middle income folks out of their homes here.

That's why they are not welcomed by all. Not personal, matter of economics.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:03 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We begrudge it because they are ruining our quality of life and driving us out of our favorite areas.

After ruining NYC, etc, the transplants now want to continue "gentrifying" good middle income folks out of their homes here.

That's why they are not welcomed by all. Not personal, matter of economics.
Well, if people chose to own their own home rather than be at the mercy of a landlord, then this would not be a negative to them. It would be a positive. Seems to me it is poor personal financial decision making, which is the main cause of the problem. Choose to rent for life and suffer the ups and ups of rental price increases or lock in a home at historically low interest rates and guarantee your payment until the mortgage is paid off, then have NO mortgage or rent payment at all. Seems like better finacially decision making would be more beneficial to some people, rather than complaining about not being able to sue everyone.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:29 AM

169 posts, read 419,066 times
First, I don't judge people before meeting them. That said, the problem with the transplants lies in the fact that such a large percentage of them are the ones who spend so much of their time complaining this isn't NJ. Also, from my experience in MY neighborhood, the non NJ transplants that have $250-300k houses are nice middle class people. The NJ people act like they are from a trailer park. I guess it's because up there a $250k house is basically poor. They come down here and act terrible. Either it's motorcycles with straight pipes at 7am with flip flops and no shirt on, or it's people fighting in the street late at night. I heard racial slurs from some of the NJ folks in the middle of the night recently, while yelling at some other neighbors. I wish I could say more, but someone might make a connection. Extremely trashy argument about very petty things.

So yeah, am I biased? Yep, because a large percentage of my experience has been NJ transplants acting terrible, and they just keep coming and coming and coming. Now do I know NJ folks down here that I like? I know a bunch. The problem is, I know way more obnoxious ones.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Welp... Monday just isn't off to a good start for anti-transplants like good old saturnfan!

Best Places to Live 2015: Apex, North Carolina

Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Welp... Monday just isn't off to a good start for anti-transplants like good old saturnfan!

Best Places to Live 2015: Apex, North Carolina

Guardians of the Galaxy?

No, merely the N Raleigh Gates of Moriah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVy7YeeqGZQ

Old 08-17-2015, 12:50 PM

610 posts, read 745,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Choose to rent for life and suffer the ups and ups of rental price increases or lock in a home at historically low interest rates and guarantee your payment until the mortgage is paid off, then have NO mortgage or rent payment at all.
Spoken by someone who has never been stuck in a house when the market tanked, like we were in Florida for three years. Thought I'd never get out of there.

Both renting and owning have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends on one's family circumstances.

House ownership is good if you have a family, plan to stay long-term, have a good stable job and don't mind the upkeep (and are fit enough to do the upkeep).

Renting is good if there is job instability, someone is older and can't do the maintenance or doesn't plan to spend the next 15 or 30 years in a place.

I can see the good and bad points of both. We rent now and I'm fine with that. We may or may not buy again once the DH retires, but I'm fine either way.

You rarely "own" the house anyhow. Not unless you stay the full 15 or 30, *and* pay property taxes. See how fast you don't *own* the house if you don't pay the government "rent" on a place.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:01 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Spoken by someone who has never been stuck in a house when the market tanked, like we were in Florida for three years. Thought I'd never get out of there.

Both renting and owning have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends on one's family circumstances.

House ownership is good if you have a family, plan to stay long-term, have a good stable job and don't mind the upkeep (and are fit enough to do the upkeep).

Renting is good if there is job instability, someone is older and can't do the maintenance or doesn't plan to spend the next 15 or 30 years in a place.

I can see the good and bad points of both. We rent now and I'm fine with that. We may or may not buy again once the DH retires, but I'm fine either way.

You rarely "own" the house anyhow. Not unless you stay the full 15 or 30, *and* pay property taxes. See how fast you don't *own* the house if you don't pay the government "rent" on a place.
See how fast the landlord starts proceedings if you don't pay da rent.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post

Such a commonly overworked misunderstanding of ownership. Almost no one pays for 15 or 30. They accelerate payment to avoid interest

No one supports themselves for free. There is always an expense.

A paid for $300,000 house in Cary will have just about $3000 in property taxes.
$250/month.
"Renting" it will cost about $1700--$2000/month.
With an 80% LTV mortgage @ 4.25%, about an $1,181 payment.

People should own or not own, whichever they want and without apology. But they might should use reasonable parameters, at least when citing them in conversation, for making their decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary