Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 PM

72 posts, read 91,509 times

Advertisements

Our Garner home sold in three days, but we also offered to pay up to $4K in closing costs (with a list price offer). What's boggling my mind is how the buyer is trying to negotiate very VERY minor repairs: Literally, she handed back the inspection and said, "Fix all of it." 40 items, some of it BS like a cracked kitchen tile. Zero major defects. Safety issues confined to stuff my mom wouldn't even worry about. ("You might trip on that bump in the sidewalk." Not even kidding)

So, yes, homes are selling fast, but there are still some buyers out there who feel it's a buyers' market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,796,401 times
Tell them the new houses are down the street in the neighborhood built by the national builder.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:04 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,321,446 times
Yeah. Some people think the house should be in brand-new condition. I blame HGTV.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:13 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu529 View Post
Our Garner home sold in three days, but we also offered to pay up to $4K in closing costs (with a list price offer). What's boggling my mind is how the buyer is trying to negotiate very VERY minor repairs: Literally, she handed back the inspection and said, "Fix all of it." 40 items, some of it BS like a cracked kitchen tile. Zero major defects. Safety issues confined to stuff my mom wouldn't even worry about. ("You might trip on that bump in the sidewalk." Not even kidding)

So, yes, homes are selling fast, but there are still some buyers out there who feel it's a buyers' market.
"Literally, she handed back the inspection and said, "Fix all of it." "

Lazy, lazy, lazy agent.
Desired repairs should be listed and specifically described. Point by point. Every time. Avoid misunderstandings.

My favorite "Do all of it" story:
"Item 666: Monitor foundation crack for further movement."
Seller says, "Sure. We will do that monitoring right up to closing."

Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 AM

It's been really difficult to not get angry and decline all the repairs, even the simple ones. We recently purchased, and the inspection report came back with around 40 repairs. We asked for fewer than half, with very specific directions about what we needed fixed. (Not the whole roof, for example, just the flashing around the chimney.) I was stunned when my agent said the buyer wanted EVERYTHING. I didn't think that was ever done. It just makes her seem petty and unfocused. And of course we're not going to do everything, so we'll choose the things that are cost-effective, simple, and would improve the home for the next buyer (or us) in case the sell falls through. I'm certainly not reflooring my bathroom because of a crack in the linoleum. (A real request.)

Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 AM

And that foundation crack note is bonkers. What is *wrong* with people? But it makes me feel better!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
It's been really difficult to not get angry and decline all the repairs, even the simple ones. We recently purchased, and the inspection report came back with around 40 repairs. We asked for fewer than half, with very specific directions about what we needed fixed. (Not the whole roof, for example, just the flashing around the chimney.) I was stunned when my agent said the buyer wanted EVERYTHING. I didn't think that was ever done. It just makes her seem petty and unfocused. And of course we're not going to do everything, so we'll choose the things that are cost-effective, simple, and would improve the home for the next buyer (or us) in case the sell falls through. I'm certainly not reflooring my bathroom because of a crack in the linoleum. (A real request.)
It is not at all uncommon for a buyer to ask for all repairs from an inspection.
Sometimes it is just negotiation to see what sticks, and sometimes it is a party without a clue who really just isn't ready for homeownership.

Buyers and Sellers both need to keep their eyes on the ball, and that is the net purchase.
Too many meaningless distractions derail emotions on both sides.

In the current market, at the current contract price, are the repairs going to put either party out of the realm of financial reality?
If the buyer absorbs all repairs, will the contract price plus the cost of repairs make the purchase unappealing and push the cost past realistic smart expenditure?

Likewise for the seller. Will making the repairs avoid selling at a lower price, or carrying the house for another month or two? And will the expense of repairs reduce seller net to below what the market will deliver from the next buyer?

List price is meaningless. Contract price below list price is meaningless.
Price reductions are meaningless.
Paying closing costs doesn't matter.
Worrying about a buyer wanting a "new house" is a meaningless distraction.
Without context of specific local market fact and dynamics, all that stuff is emotion.

What has material value:
The bottom line and current realistic market value and the effort to deliver are the key considerations and important to both parties.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 AM

^Feels like a copy/paste reply, Mike.

What I'm saying is that you can bump it to bottom line every time, but there's also the very real situation where buyers and sellers have to negotiate. There are lots of junctures where one or the other can choose to accelerate or decelerate negotiations. Asking for everything on the inspection is most definitely something that will decelerate talks.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:

What I'm saying is that you can bump it to bottom line every time, but there's also the very real situation where buyers and sellers have to negotiate. There are lots of junctures where one or the other can choose to accelerate or decelerate negotiations. Asking for everything on the inspection is most definitely something that will decelerate talks.
Definitely not copy/paste.
We deal with folks and their emotions every single day. Having an unemotional framework for that effort is often key to the transaction success or failure.

It is always the bottom line of money, time, effort. Those are what should be negotiable.
Emotion clouds all of those.

The lazy agent didn't help, either.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,321,446 times
Quote:

I'd rather a seller offer to sell to me for X-minus cost of necessary repairs than have the seller complete repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary