Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,594 times

Advertisements

Just live by the good book.. and be sure to stone your wife to death if she cheats, and murder your brother if hes a farmer that plants 2 different crops next to each other, sell your daughter if you can get a good enough price, and beat your slave.. but only enough so they can heal in 3 days, don't watch football as those men are all touching the skin of a dead pig, be sure to shun anyone with a tattoo, or who wears a garment blended of 2 different materials like polyester.

ooooo religion. Love thy neighbor.. unless hes gay, then hes totally going to hell. But all the other stuff is fine now.

therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate - divorce rate over 50%

Just live where you want, treat others with respect, and enjoy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
My family and I are heavily considering relocating to the Raleigh-Durham area. We have done our research and plan on taking a trip out there, but I might have a job offer next week before we can get out there. The area has everything we are looking for and for me personally, I've lived in so many places that I can make anywhere home. My one concern is that we are a non-traditional family (two women) and are not religious - do not attend church and don't want to. I am afraid that we might face some backlash if you will and I honestly don't care what your religious preferences are, but if you are pushy it's really irritating. How much truth is there to people asking you first thing "which church do you belong to?" and the like. I could answer a question like that, but is it then followed by, "oh how dare you not go to church, come to our service Sunday etc. etc."
FYI:

"North Carolina legislators in the GOP-controlled state House on Thursday morning approved a measure that allows some court officials to refuse to perform same-sex marriage duties because of their religious beliefs.

House lawmakers agreed 69-41 to override Governor Pat McCrory's veto of the bill, which the Senate had done last week​. The bill, now a law, allows magistrates and register of deeds workers the option to stop fulfilling their duties regarding gay marriages if they have "sincerely held religious" beliefs." - June 11, 2015

"North Carolina Republicans want to change state law to allow religious fanatics to dictate public high school sex education.

Current law requires that materials must be “accepted by professionals and credentialed experts in the field of sexual health education.” New language proposed by Republican representatives Chris Whitmire and Skip Stam would allow for just about anyone to sign off on the material, WRAL reports.

The bill, SB 279, will be heard Wednesday in the state House. New language only specifies “credentialed experts” have to sign off on sex education curricula materials. That means anyone with any kind of certificate can approve them.

“It’s absolutely true that, as written right now, [sex education curricula] could be determined by your auto mechanic, your hair dresser or your preacher,” Elizabeth Finley, communications director for SHIFT NC, a nonprofit focused on preventing teen pregnancy and curbing sexually transmitted diseases, told WRAL." - June 16, 2015

Last edited by mlhm5; 09-17-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
I'm from the UK - a very secular society for the most part. The amount of religion/religious people/ references to God in day to day life/ kids mentioning God to my kids has totally shocked us. We knew this was referred to as Bible Belt but just yesterday my husband and I were saying we were not expecting this level.

I don't have people asking me to come to their church but I can tell you that pretty much every single person I've met since moving her 1.5 years ago has mentioned their church or their religion or God etc.

It doesn't bother me that much (I don't feel I need therapy ??) but it bothers me that my kids have been brought up with no religion and now they're having people mention stuff to them that they don't understand or feel uncomfortable with. Also is quite like to tell people I'm an atheist and so are my kids but I feel this would not be a good move. In the UK this was not the case. Nobody cared or asked your views on God and nobody mentioned it ever.

Just a different perspective. Oh I have 1 friend who is same as me but she's born in UK despite living here a while.

There is a charity/ movement called Openly Secular in the Triangle who are working to make people feel comfortable with the atheist next door so that atheists can "come out". It wouldn't exist if it wasn't necessary!
Wow. I wonder if it's where you live and where your kids attend school. I can safely say that NOBODY has asked me about religion in any way at all in the Triangle and I've been here for decades.

Interesting.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:38 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
mainline protestant churches dont even do that sort of stuff honestly

it's mostly an evangelical church kinda thing and honestly the evangelical church phenomenon started in ... dum dum dum... CITY SUBURBS

Greenway church
Journey church
new hope church

etc...

So I don't really consider this whole idea the triangle is some sort of oasis against pushy evangelicals, or that oh it's SO BAD in rural areas

IF ANYTHING

they are most established in wake / charlotte burbs
If you are my age (a senior) and grew up in the South, you know that the evangelical church "phenomenon" didn't started in the city suburbs. It's grassroots. I'm glad a healthy dose of it remains. I don't understand the shock and surprise.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:22 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,631 times
I have lived here for 27 years and never had anyone ask me that question. Frankly most people I know do not even attend church then do. Sounds to me like someone is pulling your leg.

However someone mentioning their church or God should not be offensive to begin with. I mean if it is something they do, why would it be different then talking or inviting you to a sewing club? I mean, people talk about what they do...

Old 09-17-2015, 05:10 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
I think more people affiliated with church here than where I used to live in Northern Virginia, but it's not the "in your face, people trying to convert you" type. There do seem to be more activities associated with churches. For example, in NoVA, our Girl Scout troops and Boy Scout troops met in schools. Here the ones in my neighborhood both meet at the local church.

As a Girl Scout leader here, I would NEVER schedule an activity on Sunday morning and have been told by some members that all of Sunday is a family day. That was not an issue in NoVA. In the 3 1/2 years I have lived here I've definitely been asked either do I go to church or where I go to church by a few people. When I tell them I'm Jewish, there's no harm, no foul. No one has ever pressed the issue. (There was only one person who asked me that question in 22 years of living in the DC area, and she was from Mississippi.)

You will notice it more on the outskirts of the Triangle rather than within. For example, I've been wished a "Blessed Day" in Pittsboro" by a store clerk. I've seen flyers for tent revivals in Chatham County. There are the "Jesus Saves" type billboards in Alamance County.

Overall, I think the area is tolerant of most viewpoints and you should be fine no matter what you do or don't believe.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,957 times
My good friend "R" is a volunteer worker at the oncology department in a local hospital. She greets patients who have come for chemo -- gives them blankets, drinks, and snacks. Most important, she is a sympathetic shoulder, a good listener.

Granted, these people are at an unhappy time of life. They are stressed and worried about their own mortality. That may make them behave differently than their normal manner.

Some are reading their bibles and talking about the hereafter. They ask "R" if she has a personal relationship with Jesus. When "R" tells them gently but honestly that she is Jewish they become upset. With tears in their eyes they beg her to go to church, to accept Christ as her savior -- because they love her and want her to be with them in heaven!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
I ALWAYS have people asking me, "Where do you go for pizza?"
And, I ask them, "Have you heard the good news?!"

Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I ALWAYS have people asking me, "Where do you go for pizza?"
And, I ask them, "Have you heard the good news?!"
No reps for you yet, must spread, but might I say your posts are truly blessed of late (more than the usual)

I believe in the church of pizza

Old 09-17-2015, 07:28 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
No reps for you yet, must spread, but might I say your posts are truly blessed of late (more than the usual)

I believe in the church of pizza

May the Peace of Pepperoni be with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary