Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times

Advertisements

There's not a lot for teens to do in Bedford. There is a swim team in the summer that some middle schoolers and high schoolers compete in. We have basketball and tennis courts, but most things within walking distance are geared towards younger children.

I am still skeptical about the shopping center. That traffic circle in the back of Falls River (at Dunn Road, where Cokesbury Park is) was supposed to have 'mom and pop' type shops but they built houses instead. They are farther along with the shopping area than I ever thought they would be though (signs are up and future tenant names floating around) so I'm probably being too cynical. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
[quote=raleighjayne;2670004]There's not a lot for teens to do in Bedford. There is a swim team in the summer that some middle schoolers and high schoolers compete in. We have basketball and tennis courts, but most things within walking distance are geared towards younger children.

In my experience and from talking to other parents of teens, I've found most teens want to hang out at each other's houses, go to the mall, movies, The Y (for both the exercise and the social aspect ), etc. They spend a lot of time watching reality TV (not so good), on myspace, computer games, etc. Even the pool loses some of its draw as they get older. Neighborhood activities geared strictly for teens aren't really that realistic. As they get older, they will seek out people they click with - and these may not be the neighborhood kids any longer. It just happens. Once they get to middle and high school, they will meet kids from different feeder schools and they may live a few miles away.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM

119 posts, read 368,154 times
What I am trying to figure out is whether or not there is anyplace to walk or ride a bike too that isn't on busy roads. Where we live now, I have to drive the kids to everything....our neighborhood is built off of a fairly busy road that doesn't have sidewalks. As the kids get older I would love for them to be able to walk to a coffee shop or McDonalds. Cary seemed to have a few neighborhoods like that, I was wondering if Bedford was similar in that nature??

Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
My daughter rides her bike to her best friend's house regularly. The quickest way would be on main roads, but she takes barely-traveled roads and sidewalks. She adores the freedom it provides for her, and I love that she's getting the exercise.

Last edited by roscomac; 01-30-2008 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC from MA View Post
What I am trying to figure out is whether or not there is anyplace to walk or ride a bike too that isn't on busy roads. Where we live now, I have to drive the kids to everything....our neighborhood is built off of a fairly busy road that doesn't have sidewalks. As the kids get older I would love for them to be able to walk to a coffee shop or McDonalds. Cary seemed to have a few neighborhoods like that, I was wondering if Bedford was similar in that nature??
I like Bedford (and I live right next to it) but I would have to say that aside from the little shopping area they are planning there is not anything teenagers could actually "walk to". There is a newer strip mall at the intersection of Falls River Avenue and Durant that has an Andy's Hamburger joint that they could ride their bikes too by going through the Falls River Neighborhood (There are plenty of sidewalks) but I think that would be about 3 miles each way. Kind of a long bike ride for a burger if you ask me!

Sorry, but I don't think you would still need to drive them most places if you lived in Bedford.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
There's not a lot for teens to do in Bedford. There is a swim team in the summer that some middle schoolers and high schoolers compete in. We have basketball and tennis courts, but most things within walking distance are geared towards younger children.
I guess to me, that sounds like more than most places have-when we looked at Bedford, my sons went bonkers at the amenities and wanted us to buy a house there! We still might.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM

119 posts, read 368,154 times
How old are your sons and what amenities did they like??? I know there is an awesome pool.....what else? Thanks!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
One thing to keep in mind is that Bedford will soon benefit from an extension of the Falls River Greenway. I believe construction on the path is starting soon, and it will essentially parallel the Neuse River behind the Orleans homes and the estate homes, terminating near the Falls Lake Dam. This will allow walking/biking all the way from the shops at Falls River to the hiking trails at the lake. Additionally, crossing over Durant, one can jump on the greenway there and ride to Durant Nature Park where there is more hiking & mountain biking. And one last thing, the landfill is being capped in March and a new park will be going in there, too. I believe it will have recreation facilities (soccer, basketball, etc...) as well as some hiking and mountain biking trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary