Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM

252 posts, read 275,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnard7 View Post
Okay, so Apex and Holly Springs are growing fast. What about Cary? I know it's "maxed out" but that should mean that what's there stays there, correct? Sort of at equilibrium? How would you compare west Cary to Apex?
Don't get me wrong, we absolutely love Holly Springs and wouldn't want to live in any other place. New construction is crazy expensive, we drove around one Sunday afternoon as we didn't have anything to do and visited a few of the new construction neighborhoods. The base price for a basic house with very few upgrades were in the $325k range. My wife & I couldn't believe it. I believe Holly Springs is already becoming like Apex and parts of Cary, in terms of many folks are getting priced out of these markets day by day. Not trying to be a debbie downer, just being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 10:47 AM

21 posts, read 37,360 times
What's going on with the Chatham park? When do they anticipate building all of that stuff? What's Pittsboro look like?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Okay, so Apex and Holly Springs are growing fast. What about Cary? I know it's "maxed out" but that should mean that what's there stays there, correct? Sort of at equilibrium? How would you compare west Cary to Apex?
Why are you so focused on Carey apex?

You realize we are about 6 towns closer to 11+ if you consider periphery

Old 12-16-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Why are you so focused on Carey apex?

You realize we are about 6 towns closer to 11+ if you consider periphery

I'm not really. I'd like to be within 30 mins or so of Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill (for work) in/very near an area that somewhat caters (has parks, shopping, good schools) to young families. Where do you recommend?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:31 AM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
Quote:
It's not like there are large differences between the feel of Cary and Apex in my opinion. The towns are shaped in non-geometric shapes. You will drive from Cary into Apex back into Cary while driving around in West Cary without noticing any difference. A suburb is a suburb.

The same applies in more Eastern Wake towards the Lake Wheeler area. You will go from Cary to Raleigh to Apex to Holly Springs driving south and hardly notice a marked difference. I have to pull up the address to even know which one of those I'm actually looking at houses in if I'm just driving around.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
I'm not really. I'd like to be within 30 mins or so of Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill (for work) in/very near an area that somewhat caters (has parks, shopping, good schools) to young families. Where do you recommend?
People trying to "have it all" are why Cary is in its bad over developed state.

You could probably drive from Raleigh to hillsborough before you went through some of the Cary traffic snarls at rush hour

I live in south Durham and like it and there is lots of development along 751 also if you are able to gentrify a bit there will still be some great finds going downtown

If you want some room I would suggest maybe Chatham county

We've only ever really sprawled and there are subdivisions everywhere but right now nobody can say what's going to happen in coming years

I would assume the 40 corridor will be aggressively developed

the bottom line is do you want to tap into the lifestyle without the scrum and hype of lots of transplants, or do you want be a 'part of that' and participate in the same things they do.

If you want some sorta downshifted more bucolic experience you will have to look a little wider.

Last edited by hey_guy; 12-16-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 PM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
It's not like there are large differences between the feel of Cary and Apex in my opinion. The towns are shaped in non-geometric shapes. You will drive from Cary into Apex back into Cary while driving around in West Cary without noticing any difference. A suburb is a suburb.
While just driving for the first time I agree. However, I'd disagree strongly if living there. I've lived in Raleigh, Cary, and Apex and did not like Apex at all. In my opinion it has a completely different feel to it from Cary. I won't get into specifics as it's only my opinion and might upset some board members. But just thought I'd give my opinion for those considering/researching the 2 towns.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
While just driving for the first time I agree. However, I'd disagree strongly if living there. I've lived in Raleigh, Cary, and Apex and did not like Apex at all. In my opinion it has a completely different feel to it from Cary. I won't get into specifics as it's only my opinion and might upset some board members. But just thought I'd give my opinion for those considering/researching the 2 towns.
I'd like to hear your opinion! Any advice is good advice.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
People trying to "have it all" are why Cary is in its bad over developed state.

You could probably drive from Raleigh to hillsborough before you went through some of the Cary traffic snarls at rush hour

I live in south Durham and like it and there is lots of development along 751 also if you are able to gentrify a bit there will still be some great finds going downtown

If you want some room I would suggest maybe Chatham county

We've only ever really sprawled and there are subdivisions everywhere but right now nobody can say what's going to happen in coming years

I would assume the 40 corridor will be aggressively developed

the bottom line is do you want to tap into the lifestyle without the scrum and hype of lots of transplants, or do you want be a 'part of that' and participate in the same things they do.

If you want some sorta downshifted more bucolic experience you will have to look a little wider.

That's the million dollar question it seems...do I want a neighborhood feel with a patch of grass and I can look outside to see my neighbor cooking dinner or do I want a 1/2 acre of land and have to drive 15 minutes to get to anything. I'd love the middle, but that seems to be shrinking in those areas. Any homes with a nice room are starting to have developments built right on top of them.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:21 PM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Interesting. I've only lived in West Cary, as one of the evil transplants, but i am in the process of moving over towards Lake Wheeler for more land and to be closer to the office (and to avoid 64 at peak drive times).

My comment was specific to West Cary. As you drive down 55 towards the Target / HD / Lowes, etc, is there really any difference between a subdivision on the Cary side of the Cary / Apex town line verses Apex? If it wasn't for the Welcome to Apex sign heading south it would be hard to tell you have switched towns.

I'd like to hear your opinion as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary