Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 06:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Mosquitos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I think screens are worth the money. I open the window all the time. I think builders should include screens with windows. You can always take screens off and store them in case you really need them later.
We open our windows a lot too, I would be so upset if I had no screens. I like fresh air.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I've heard many complaints from NE folks about the winter but what about the other seasons? Compared to nc?

Summer must be nicer eh?

I have fond memories of camping in New England as child with my family. Those were the days when camping was safe and it was a welcome respite from the heat. The summers were very pleasant, especially in Vermont / New Hampshire. It was even a slight chill in Bar Harbor.

I don't recall there being nearly as many bugs, but I recall lots of biting flies in Upstate NY around the finger lakes. Everyone was polite except for the people from NYC.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:37 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
We open our windows a lot too, I would be so upset if I had no screens. I like fresh air.
If i didn't have screens I would at least buy several of those adjustable slide out screens available at the hardware stores. I like my fresh air too. I had several of them cracked a little yesterday.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:20 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
I've heard many complaints from NE folks about the winter but what about the other seasons? Compared to nc?

Summer must be nicer eh?
Went to a wedding party right on Lake George at the end of July last year. My wife and daughter were wearing light sweaters. If it gets hot during the day (say, 80's), it cools off in the evening. Low humidity too. We also vacation north west of there on the Canadian border and enjoy many a morning sitting on the front porch drinking hot coffee with a chill in the air. June-August are beautiful in the northern parts. Not so much in the lower NE area (LI for instance), for it does get warm there.

(conversely, in the Rochester area...the year before I graduated there was a foot of snow ~May 10).

Old 01-31-2016, 10:51 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
In the Piedmont, Spring is the premiere season. It is just beautiful. Summers are usually hot, humid and hazy and it is not uncommon to get 10 days over 100 with high humidity. Not all that uncommon to turn on the AC the first of May and turn it off in October. Summers are also buggy in the Triangle and the nights are 70+ degrees and humid.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:17 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Am kind of worried about bright green pollen season this year - supposed to get my house painted. :-O

Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
Summers are rough. Walk outside and stand in one spot and you'll just start sweating. But that's what AC is for.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM

115 posts, read 135,424 times
Quote:
I've heard many complaints from NE folks about the winter but what about the other seasons? Compared to nc? Summer must be nicer eh?
Summer here is brutal, and even after a decade I haven't adjusted. 95 degrees with saturated humidity is just not in my DNA. I almost feel like I get no summer - because it's too hot to do any summer stuff for me.

Winter is fantabulous. Cool/warm and dry most of the time, with little pockets of actual winter cold. I do miss snow, but I don't miss the sheer overwhelming amount of it I used to get up north.

Fall is just gorgeous, and I do enjoy how leaf season lasts for nearly two months, rather than two weeks.

Spring in the South is the prettiest thing you'll ever see. The pollen will murder you though. And you can't open your windows during the month of April (seriously) or your home will be coated with pine pollen.

Weather is probably the main reason we'll eventually leave NC. I'm too pale for this sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary