Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:47 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times

Advertisements

I've heard many complaints from NE folks about the winter but what about the other seasons? Compared to nc?

Summer must be nicer eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 05:50 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Summer can get real humid but not for the length it does in NC. Fall and spring are the real jackpots up north (as they are here).

Old 01-28-2016, 06:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Really nice, open window Spring weather gets totally messed up by pollen fog the likes of which most people have never seen.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:22 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I've heard many complaints from NE folks about the winter but what about the other seasons? Compared to nc?

Summer must be nicer eh?
But much shorter.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 PM

150 posts, read 233,638 times
Transplant from Florida here, and I have never been hotter in my life than here. Ever.

For me, it's only *comfortable* about 90 days of the years. For most of May, once the damn pollen is gone, most of September and about half of October. Classic summer is too damn hot and no gulf breezes to cool ya down. Winter is too damn cold.

But many folks feel just the same about FL, just reversed. It also depends on how much time you spend outdoors. For my mom, for example, who does nothing but watch TV, the weather doesn't really matter. For me, with gardening and horsing around, the weather really impacts my enjoyment of things.

All in all, I don't care for the climate. YMMV.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 PM

131 posts, read 144,917 times
Summer in Florida is brutal, and ever-lasting. When my family moved there from NY when I was a kid, everyone was all "Oh, you can spend so much more time outdoors since it's always warm."

Wrong!

Unless you're swimming, at the beach, at a theme park, or relaxing with a drink in your hand, you can't do anything outside from 10 AM to 6 PM. Once when I was 11, my family went to this crab festival, and I got heat stroke just from sitting in the sun. Not playing. Not running around. Just sitting.

I do miss the violent, afternoon thunderstorms in the summer. You can set your watch by them.

I don't miss the humidity (which NC also has in spades).

Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 PM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
I'm planning to leave Raleigh for summer in future. I'm from the UK and I cannot get used to the heat of summer. But I like fall, winter more in Raleigh than in the UK. I didn't really notice the pollen last spring. But Spring turns very hot pretty quickly.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
Transplant from Florida here, and I have never been hotter in my life than here. Ever.

For me, it's only *comfortable* about 90 days of the years. For most of May, once the damn pollen is gone, most of September and about half of October. Classic summer is too damn hot and no gulf breezes to cool ya down. Winter is too damn cold.

But many folks feel just the same about FL, just reversed. It also depends on how much time you spend outdoors. For my mom, for example, who does nothing but watch TV, the weather doesn't really matter. For me, with gardening and horsing around, the weather really impacts my enjoyment of things.

All in all, I don't care for the climate. YMMV.
I have similar views on this. Moving from NC to FL feels like we cooled off. Being in the Raleigh area, there was no seabreeze and there was downslope (Hot) land breezes or stagnant air. Being in a coastal town and on a lake in FL, it feels much cooler. It has never reached 100 where we live now, but has eclipsed that where we lived in NC. Agree that YMMV

Old 01-28-2016, 08:32 PM

131 posts, read 144,917 times
Agree with everyone saying the summers are hotter in the Triangle than in FL. Where we lived in FL, it never got to 100. My first summer here? Forget about it. The only upside for me is that the summers don't last as long, and the heat lessens once the sun goes down. By the second-half of August, the heat starts breaking.

Personally, I prefer colder weather. It's easy to keep warm in the cold. All you can do in the heat is suffer.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 AM

610 posts, read 746,459 times
Another Floridian here. I disagree. Summer here seems cooler (less humid too) and shorter than a Fort Lauderdale summer. It's still damned annoying, but it helps that it's shorter. Plus - you sometimes get a day break from it with a storm front.

Yeah, still can't go outside other than to car with AC and to buildings with AC, but I was used to that from April through November.

April = pollen. Do not ever open windows. Weird stuff.

Winters much milder than my original hometown (Pittsburgh) but this place seems to get more ice than snow, which sucks. Thankfully, we don't get much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary