Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:16 AM

115 posts, read 135,533 times

Advertisements

Are there any websites that rate or give feedback for rental companies?

We are in an apartment, and have decided to rent a house instead of our original plan to buy one. (waiting for the last kid to graduate, so we don't have to buy in her school district)

We want to rent a house, but I'm less comfortable with it than I am the apartment. With the apartment I'm pretty safe that the agent owns the place, hehe, and it's pretty easy to look for reviews on the property and what not.

It's a little harder to vet individual house rentals. I swear half the listings on craigslist are bogus.

I know to be cautious, but I'm not really sure how to vet these rentals both for legitimacy, and for the reliability of the rental company/agent.

And how does one verify, as suggested on other threads, that someone is a licensed agent/broker?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Look for a local property manager.
They handle plenty of houses, and have to be licensed brokers to do that work.
They do not have to be Realtors, just have to have an NC real estate broker's license.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:59 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
You could ask the landlord for tenant references.

IMO it's pretty easy to tell what's legit and what isn't on Craigslist. If you can't tell just by looking at the ad, then you'll know after sending an email.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You could ask the landlord for tenant references. IMO it's pretty easy to tell what's legit and what isn't on Craigslist. If you can't tell just by looking at the ad, then you'll know after sending an email.
It's less about weeding out the legit ones, and more being concerned what kind of service we'll get if we rent the unit.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelily View Post
It's less about weeding out the legit ones, and more being concerned what kind of service we'll get if we rent the unit.
Tenant references would help. Meet the potential landlord and go with your gut.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
I know what you're going through-just dealt with a similar situation. We were in a rent-to-own through a private person (rent to own part was all verbal) and she decided once she found a new beau we had to move. Not too thrilled with the neighborhood anyhow but not wanting to uproot 3 kids from 3 schools (elementary, middle, high) and still not cleared to buy due to our previous short sale, we had a short time to find somewhere to go.

Craigslist had a few, but funny, so many are so fake-one said "close to local mall, Barnes & Noble, etc" and we're in Clayton where there is NO such thing-big red flag.

We started looking on Trulia and found a house nearby that we think we can live with for the next few years-at least DH says we can. The problem is, we called a local agent, were shown the house by said agent with a large real estate company so we thought we were good. Application was online.

The first one: took our 100.00 and denied our rental application based on what they said was a previous eviction! WHAT? We owned for 20 years before moving here and were owning/living in WI during this said eviction. We tried telling them they had the wrong person-same name but different person, they refused to answer our calls, and kept the 100.00. The agent was local, but the company is actually from out of state. No one returned calls or emails and I just didnt think it was worth the hassle for the 100.00 but I would NOT trust that company.

The next one: we DID rent-again, local agent BUT when it came time to fill out paperwork, the OWNER/company is in CA! So, when we moved in and the shower wasn't working, it was over a month before they fixed it-and sent 3 incompetent "handymen" to do the job on 3 separate occasions because they were not knowledgeable about plumbing. The house is newer but has not been "kept up" and needs a lot of little fixes, which I was told they do not do because they are cosmetic. Another neighbor rented from the same company and had nothing but trouble. Luckily, when her time was up from a previous short sale, she was able to buy and has nothing good to say about said company either.
I would suggest finding an independent owner or LOCAL company. Do not use American Residential. I cant remember the name of the other company that took our money,but the name was similar.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Forget houses. Too many risks.

A good professional apartment complex will serve you much better.

A big hit is the inability of the landlord to return your deposit when you vacate. They just may not have it.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
saturnfan? is that you?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:52 AM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Forget houses. Too many risks.

A good professional apartment complex will serve you much better.

A big hit is the inability of the landlord to return your deposit when you vacate. They just may not have it.
LOL! Head on over to the rental board in Real Estate. One half of the posts are asking for advice on what to do about noisy neighbors, especially those with children and/or dogs.

Potentially losing a security deposit on a SFR rental is far better than losing my mind over shared walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
saturnfan? is that you?
Choking on my coffee from that one.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Forget houses. Too many risks. A good professional apartment complex will serve you much better. A big hit is the inability of the landlord to return your deposit when you vacate. They just may not have it.
I agree with you in spirit. Our current apartment is actually very nice - but we need something larger. We are a family of four, and our kids are not little. Plus pets. The apartment is just a temporary thing, we didn't want to buy until our daughter decided where she wanted to go for high school.

Best case scenario is to find house managed by a larger, local rental company. I won't lease from individuals, too risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: