Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 16,407 times

Advertisements

We recently started looking at new constructions near RTP for a ~3500 sq ft under 700K home. We find that most new constructions are much larger and well constructed and finished homes with a reasonable yard are incredibly hard to come by. Right now we are looking at a pre-sale in Ashton Woods Braemore. We tend to like Homes by Dickerson a lot but they don't seem to be building anything now around Cary, the closest we've found to RTP is off Pinecrest in Raleigh. Another option we've looked at is Bellewood Manor. We did not like Sedgefield because the lots are so tiny and it's right on the flight path. Likewise with Saxonbury, Toll Brothers and Copperleaf Glen which are very large homes for our needs and in the more rural part of West Cary.

Looking for some feedback on how these options (Ashton Woods Braemore, Dickerson Pinecrest and Bellewood Manor) compare in terms of value for the money, quality and likely appreciation as a ~10 year home. Any thoughts appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:24 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
The 2 custom neighborhoods are Bellewood Manor and Dickerson's Pinecrest.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Bellewood Manor = good builders, sluggish sales. Pain to get into because there's no light at the intersection. Has more airport noise than you might think. But, that's West Cary.

Braemore = I would not give Ashton Woods that much money for one of those.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 16,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Bellewood Manor = good builders, sluggish sales. Pain to get into because there's no light at the intersection. Has more airport noise than you might think. But, that's West Cary.

Braemore = I would not give Ashton Woods that much money for one of those.
Any ideas why sales have been sluggish at Bellewood Manor? A great set of builders but they seem to have sold very few lots and have many inventory homes sitting and have not yet started Phase 2. Yes the intersection without a light is a pain and Green Hope School running through the community is a concern.

Wondering why Braemore would rank lower? We like their contemporary style interiors (hate some of the stony exteriors) but they seem like the best tract builder we've seen around here. Wondering if we're missing something here...?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Why are you limiting yourself to new construction? I would think that's an unwise decision.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle-explorers View Post
Any ideas why sales have been sluggish at Bellewood Manor? A great set of builders but they seem to have sold very few lots and have many inventory homes sitting and have not yet started Phase 2. Yes the intersection without a light is a pain and Green Hope School running through the community is a concern.

Wondering why Braemore would rank lower? We like their contemporary style interiors (hate some of the stony exteriors) but they seem like the best tract builder we've seen around here. Wondering if we're missing something here...?
You just explained the slow sales in Bellewood Manor. It's really about access, price, and what might go in behind and beside the neighborhood. No really great lots out there, either. Just kind of..."eh."

Braemore is tract.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:49 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Sedgefield and Bellewood Manor fall in the same noise contour according to the RDU mapping.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...8.4935,35.9935

Sedgefield is adjacent to the 60dB contour on that map, just off the bend in Wackena Road, and the map may need to be updated, but RDU air traffic along that thin 60dB contour tends to also fly directly over Bellewood Manor with some regularity. Stand in the street and see it coming right at you. It just tends to be a bit higher, which helps with the noise level. But, it still is a disclosure item for the sellers.

I predict a traffic signal at the intersection of Green Hope School Rd. and Green Level Church Road. When? I dunno. Maybe after a couple of bad wrecks, unfortunately.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 AM

117 posts, read 140,726 times
Couple lots and new homes left in Cameron pond. New neighborhood going in off of Indian wells by k hovnanian. New Ashton woods community down by wrenhurst and the AT trail if you don't care about Cary schools....same floor plans as braemore.

Airplane noise is going to be an issue in this area regardless. To me I don't mind at all. But I'm sure there plenty of people who do.

I loved the builders in Bellwood but the pricing was too high for me per square foot. Similar to copperleaf without the amenities Sedgefield pricing better.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 AM

326 posts, read 385,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle-explorers View Post
We recently started looking at new constructions near RTP for a ~3500 sq ft under 700K home. We find that most new constructions are much larger and well constructed and finished homes with a reasonable yard are incredibly hard to come by. Right now we are looking at a pre-sale in Ashton Woods Braemore. We tend to like Homes by Dickerson a lot but they don't seem to be building anything now around Cary, the closest we've found to RTP is off Pinecrest in Raleigh. Another option we've looked at is Bellewood Manor. We did not like Sedgefield because the lots are so tiny and it's right on the flight path. Likewise with Saxonbury, Toll Brothers and Copperleaf Glen which are very large homes for our needs and in the more rural part of West Cary.

Looking for some feedback on how these options (Ashton Woods Braemore, Dickerson Pinecrest and Bellewood Manor) compare in terms of value for the money, quality and likely appreciation as a ~10 year home. Any thoughts appreciated!
I've been casually looking at houses myself with similar specs (~3500sf, ~$700K, close to RTP), including visiting many of the neighborhoods you mention during last fall's Parade of Homes. Some thoughts:

Regarding airplane noise, I've been in Sedgefield when planes went over and I've been in Bellewood Manor when planes went over and I couldn't tell a difference in plane noise...it's very loud in both places, like "stop your conversation and wait for it to pass" loud (that's while standing outside; it's barely noticeable when inside). It will be difficult to stay under $700K in Bellewood Manor.

I'd personally buy a resale custom home in Weycroft before I bought a new Ashton Woods Braemore home. Weycroft is the neighborhood that surrounds Braemore. You're not getting value for your money from Ashton Woods in Braemore they way you are from the custom builders in the other neighborhoods.

I don't think anything in Copperleaf Glen will be under $700K, maybe barely.

I've driven through the Homes by Dickerson neighborhood (Haywood) off Pinecrest. The lots feel kind of small, like Sedgefield, but otherwise it's nice. I like Homes by Dickerson, too. I first really liked them when walking through a house in Barton's Grove (North Raleigh, off Old Creedmoor). They used to be at or near $700K in Barton's Grove, but all the new ones now seem to be $800K+.

I've never been out to Saxonbury, so no opinions there.

For me, lot size is a sticking point as I just don't want to spend $700K for a house on a tiny lot (I've ranted about that previously) and all the new construction stuff in western Wake seems to be just that. The jury is still out on exactly what we'll do but I anticipate that we'll end up purchasing a resale home rather than new construction. You mention value for money and, to me, there just isn't as much value for money in new construction. Initially, I thought we'd be in western Wake for sure due to proximity to RTP, good schools, etc. but the more we look the more open we are becoming to other areas. For example, if you're willing to consider North Raleigh, there's some nice new construction right now in Gates at Ethan's Glen, Mt. Vernon Crossing, Barton's Grove, just to name a few. All of these areas are just as convenient to RTP as Cary.

Good luck with your search!

Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 AM

117 posts, read 140,726 times
I agree that braemore doesn't present value from an appraisal standpoint compared to weycroft. The one thing it does offer is a modern floor plan. Which doesn't appraise out but does make it a nicer place to live for someone with those sensibilities. We looked at pretty much every home in weycroft that has been on the market in the past year and nothing was even close to modern enough on the floor plan for our tastes. We loved the braemore model, but didn't even demand that much modernity...it was unfortunate because I do rather like weycroft as a hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary