Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
And City-data keeps getting it wrong too!

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/
The city-data page is labeled "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary" (note the link at the top of the page); they do not call "Raleigh-Durham" a city.

Quote:
Or worse "The RTP" ::shudder::
WORD :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:01 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,281,824 times
No wonder The RTP, Durham-Raleigh, Cary area is so attractive!
Our major issues revolve around what people call us! Pretty lightweight stuff, fer sherr!

Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,445,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No wonder The RTP, Durham-Raleigh, Cary area is so attractive!
Our major issues revolve around what people call us! Pretty lightweight stuff, fer sherr!
Haha. I have to admit, I'm guilty of calling the whole area Raleigh...because aside from working in Cary, I almost never venture outside of Raleigh.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,998,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The city-data page is labeled "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary" (note the link at the top of the page); they do not call "Raleigh-Durham" a city.

WORD :-D

I think everybody knows Raleigh and Durham are two cities. It's more of a convenience thing. Like North Raleigh. Or West Cary. Not actual places, but can be useful when referring to a geographical area.

Plus, I think it actually has a pretty nice ring to it.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:23 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,277,375 times
Just say, "thank you" and move on!

Old 03-03-2016, 09:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,207,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think everybody knows Raleigh and Durham are two cities. It's more of a convenience thing. Like North Raleigh. Or West Cary. Not actual places, but can be useful when referring to a geographical area.

Plus, I think it actually has a pretty nice ring to it.
IMO, Raleigh-Durham rolls off the tongue quite nicely. It certainly rolls better than Raleigh-Cary or Durham-Chapel Hill. As I've said in posts past, the Triangle is strongest when it's unified and presented in its entirety. I'm glad to see this report do just that, even if the syntax of our moniker causes "controversy". While there might be some who don't realize that Raleigh and Durham are separate cities, at least we don't have the problem of getting confused with other similarly named cities like Charlotte has (Charleston, Charlottesville).

Old 03-03-2016, 12:25 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,382,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
IMO, Raleigh-Durham rolls off the tongue quite nicely. It certainly rolls better than Raleigh-Cary or Durham-Chapel Hill. As I've said in posts past, the Triangle is strongest when it's unified and presented in its entirety. I'm glad to see this report do just that, even if the syntax of our moniker causes "controversy". While there might be some who don't realize that Raleigh and Durham are separate cities, at least we don't have the problem of getting confused with other similarly named cities like Charlotte has (Charleston, Charlottesville).
I agree with the bolded part especially, but even "Raleigh-Durham" leaves out the other cities/towns which are an important part of the Triangle as a whole.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,775,453 times
I have been here 30+ years and find myself using 'The Triangle' to describe the area. Probably doesn't help much for outsiders but I almost never use the terminology Raleigh-Durham unless I'm talking about the airport.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,003,237 times
What should it be called if not Raleigh-Durham, other than just Raleigh? If you're writing for a national audience, people have no idea what "The Triangle" is.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,775,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
What should it be called if not Raleigh-Durham, other than just Raleigh? If you're writing for a national audience, people have no idea what "The Triangle" is.
oh I agree .... just saying I don't think the term Raleigh-Durham is used much by locals ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary