Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM

19 posts, read 71,263 times

Advertisements

I am relocating in July to Raleigh. Need alot of help. Trying to find a low crime area with nice schools. Have a kindergarten middle schooler and high schooler. Hi schooler in a lot of sports. Just got ma AAS in computer science and working on my BA in Information Tech Systems. Currently I am working on my cert. in helpdesk support. I need the right resources in having a job before I move there with my family. So i would appreciate anyone help jobs and areas where to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 05:16 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
I'm not in the IT industry. So, I'm speaking on what I've heard from friends in that field in an effort to start you on your search. And, if nothing else, I've bumped your post this morning.

Help Desk position can be tricky these days. I know that a lot of these jobs are located in other countries. (Hence the two Microsoft buildings in Charlotte that are mostly empty.) I do know that BB&T has a Help Desk in Wilson. The positions pay very little. The only larger company with decent pay I know of is Network Appliance in RTP. The people I know working there have numerous certifications. Some have college work in the IT field; others have no degree at all. You might want to check out their website. Network Appliance - Network Appliance

Old 02-11-2008, 05:57 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,553 times
There are a lot of IT companies in the Triangle, but I'm not sure which will have your particular niche. Like was mentioned, a lot of helpdesk jobs are moving to other countries (unfortunately for all of us). Looking at the RTP site, this is a list of their largest companies...

IBM 10,800
GlaxoSmithKline 6,400
Cisco Systems 3,400
Nortel Networks 2,800
RTI International 2,600
US Environmental Protection Agency 1,500
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences 1,000
Sony Ericsson 750
Biogen idec 720
Network Appliance 700

Beyond, this there are going to be companies listed in the different cities. SAS for example is in Cary and is a big software company. You might want to try one of the big job sites like monster or something.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Try the NC Office of State Personnel website. There are helpdesk jobs that come up from time to time.

Living here will really help since no relo or interview costs are covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary