Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times

Advertisements

Chapel Hill/Carrboro's population growth is stymied by their anti-growth policies, which creates a limited supply of housing and development. Ironically, although both cities are strongly progressive, these policies make inflate housing prices to levels that make those cities unaffordable for people of modest or middle incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:29 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Chapel Hill/Carrboro's population growth is stymied by their anti-growth policies, which creates a limited supply of housing and development. Ironically, although both cities are strongly progressive, these policies make inflate housing prices to levels that make those cities unaffordable for people of modest or middle incomes.
I would call it controlled-growth rather than anti-growth. Chapel Hill/Carrboro's population has grown 60% in the last 20 years I've lived here, and there has been and continues to be considerable development. I do agree that controlling growth does come at the cost of elevating property prices.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:10 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
Durham is really booming. The national accolades are starting to impact growth on the ground in the Bull City.
True! If you've never heard the sound of rapid gunfire just go to Durham. Ha!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,410,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Then why the comparison of NC to Jersey? If they can manage to still have plenty of farmland, with much higher pressure from expanding urban areas during a time in which zoning was not nearly as controlled as now, surely, NC can manage it now, being 7 or so times bigger and all.
Because, it's not exactly a rural state. I would rather growth slowed down by a lot, was kept in the cities and was urban development, with more land protected. Just my opinion, hate this fast high growth, only signs of slowing down is demographic trends from the north to south is shifting now west. More people are moving west than south in the future. Plus there seems to be an urban rejuvenation going on as millennial grow up and go the opposite direction of their parents.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
A very sly, but intentional system.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
You are going to start getting tech workers from Seattle and San Francisco soon enough too....
Why?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bass_player View Post
Well, that came from people who work in NY. Whether or not NY is worse than RDU, I think they manage their traffic better.

I think traffic here is absolutely horrible and we need the light rail pretty badly, and we need the suburbs to quit sprawling.
I think the traffic at the airport is actually quite light.

I am always for trying "limited" light rail at first, but the Triangle is not set up to take advantage of widespread light rail.

Raleigh itself is a sprawling suburb, outside of its very small DT area. The entire Triangle is basically one big suburb, which I happen to prefer, so I don't think it is going to change anytime in the near or distant future.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:46 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
No way the Cleveland area of Johnston county is as densely populated as Apex? How many square miles approximately does the unincorporated area of Cleveland cover?
Not sure about density, because it doesn't give the exact area. But this is the article I was talking about. | News & Observer

Old 05-25-2016, 10:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Not sure about density, because it doesn't give the exact area. But this is the article I was talking about. | News & Observer
Using our friend Google, here's what their maps says is Cleveland Township in Johnston County. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...!4d-78.5320107

Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Using our friend Google, here's what their maps says is Cleveland Township in Johnston County. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...!4d-78.5320107
Thanks for that and I did see that when I searched google maps as well, but thought it looked rather large for a "community". That area is HUGE and much bigger than Apex's current 19 sq. miles. That looks to be about 3x's the size of Apex. I don't see how it could become a town anytime without massive amounts of capital (i.e. taxing) to build the infrastructure required to incorporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary